Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an Asus X570 mobo, and a Gigabyte 1070. Mobo was running older BIOS, everything works perfectly fine.
Got an Zen3 and needed to update to a newer BIOS, did it via the Asus Windows BIOS update tool.

Stepped away for about 30 minutes and found PC still there, lights are running but no display. Unplugged power, restart, still no display.
Swapped out another GPU, powered on, no display at first, but then entered BIOS recovery mode after about 60seconds wait.

PC booted into the system no problem, I thought it's just the BIOS got stuck somewhere and didn't think too much.

Few days later I loaned the Gigabyte 1070 to a friend, after he plugged it into his system there is no video, the GPU fan doesn't spin, and device manager doesn't show the 1070. I'm getting the card back tomorrow to do some testing.

There is no physical damage(such as short circuit) that I can see, and something went wrong between the time mobo BIOS update started and until I found the PC with no display.
Has anyone encountered this before? I have been building computers myself for over a decade and never seen anything like this.

The only two things I can think of is somehow the GPU BIOS was messed up while the motherboard was running it's own BIOS update, or somehow the voltage was so unstable the GPU was damaged during the mobo BIOS update process.

I can understand if the motherboard is not working due to some BIOS issue, but I fail to see how the whole thing would brick the GPU...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Stepped away for about 30 minutes and found PC still there, lights are running but no display............ I have been building computers myself for over a decade and never seen anything like this.
............. I can understand if the motherboard is not working due to some BIOS issue, but I fail to see how the whole thing would brick the GPU...
I was scratching my head for two minutes prior using the reply button.
The pile of personal mistakes which you did, this is so huge, than I have not practical tips to offer.
The best advice this is: RTFM written by qualifying engineers.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was itching my head for two minutes prior using the reply button.
The pile of personal mistakes which you did, this is so huge, than I have not practical tips to offer.
The best advice this is: RTFM written by qualifying engineers.
I have another GPU that I can use so it's not end of the world for me, what puzzles me is how is the GPU impacted during the motherboard BIOS update, since the motherboard works but the GPU doesn't(even on another computer)

·
Premium Member
20,502 Posts
I've never seen anything like that either. Typically its better to do a bios update manually from within the bios with a USB stick rather than using Asus updater (or comparable) but I can't see how this would in any way impact a GPU.

Maybe just bad luck and timing?

·
Facepalm
9,967 Posts
Got an Asus X570 mobo, and a Gigabyte 1070. Mobo was running older BIOS, everything works perfectly fine.
Got an Zen3 and needed to update to a newer BIOS, did it via the Asus Windows BIOS update tool.

Stepped away for about 30 minutes and found PC still there, lights are running but no display. Unplugged power, restart, still no display.
Swapped out another GPU, powered on, no display at first, but then entered BIOS recovery mode after about 60seconds wait.

PC booted into the system no problem, I thought it's just the BIOS got stuck somewhere and didn't think too much.

Few days later I loaned the Gigabyte 1070 to a friend, after he plugged it into his system there is no video, the GPU fan doesn't spin, and device manager doesn't show the 1070. I'm getting the card back tomorrow to do some testing.

There is no physical damage(such as short circuit) that I can see, and something went wrong between the time mobo BIOS update started and until I found the PC with no display.
Has anyone encountered this before? I have been building computers myself for over a decade and never seen anything like this.

The only two things I can think of is somehow the GPU BIOS was messed up while the motherboard was running it's own BIOS update, or somehow the voltage was so unstable the GPU was damaged during the mobo BIOS update process.

I can understand if the motherboard is not working due to some BIOS issue, but I fail to see how the whole thing would brick the GPU...
Maybe you updated the video card bios and the motherboard bios at the same time because you didn't know what you were doing, and bricked it?
NEVER EVER UPDATE A MOTHERBOARD BIOS IN WINDOWS. Always use the in bios ez-flash or other through bios flash tool.

Certain firmwares have to be updated in windows. Those you have no choice, but if there ever is a command line or USB/DOS flash boot option to flash those, choosing that is also a wise option.

You can reflash your 1070 with a Skypro (Coright.com) programmer, a Pomona 5250 in-line clip, male to female jumper cables, and a 1.8v adapter (this adapter is required as most SPI flashers use 3.3v, and flashing a 1.8v bios chip with 3.3v will fry it). There are other hardware flashers but the quality can either be good or bad and I can't help you with them in any way. I can link the wire set to use (for hooking up the Pomona 5250 to the 1.8v adapter): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 100% certain that I did not select any GPU BIOS in the Asus tool(I’m not sure if the Asus tool would even show the appropriate BIOS for a Gigabyte card), but I was suspecting the process somehow messed with GPU BIOS.

I usually update motherboard BIOS with the flash drive method but got lazy this time since I had two other boards to update.

Thank you for the BIOS flash tool information!

I will be getting the card back tonight and will try that out if needed.

Maybe you updated the video card bios and the motherboard bios at the same time because you didn't know what you were doing, and bricked it?
NEVER EVER UPDATE A MOTHERBOARD BIOS IN WINDOWS. Always use the in bios ez-flash or other through bios flash tool.

Certain firmwares have to be updated in windows. Those you have no choice, but if there ever is a command line or USB/DOS flash boot option to flash those, choosing that is also a wise option.

You can reflash your 1070 with a Skypro (Coright.com) programmer, a Pomona 5250 in-line clip, male to female jumper cables, and a 1.8v adapter (this adapter is required as most SPI flashers use 3.3v, and flashing a 1.8v bios chip with 3.3v will fry it). There are other hardware flashers but the quality can either be good or bad and I can't help you with them in any way. I can link the wire set to use (for hooking up the Pomona 5250 to the 1.8v adapter): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 100% certain that I did not select any GPU BIOS in the Asus tool(I’m not sure if the Asus tool would even show the appropriate BIOS for a Gigabyte card), but I was suspecting the process somehow messed with GPU BIOS.

I usually update motherboard BIOS with the flash drive method but got lazy this time since I had two other boards to update.

Thank you for the BIOS flash tool information!

I will be getting the card back tonight and will try that out if needed.
If it was ASUS AI suite then it only touches CPU as far as I'm aware, but it's really unintuitive with instructions that seem to contradict themselves, and I have little faith in it. I've had issues with it messing up CPU clocks in the past, and will only ever use BIOS for that now. I've had issues with fan profiles set up from there, and previously had to uninstall it and correct the changes in BIOS as they couldn't be over-ridden otherwise. It's still on my system as I find it useful for changing my case exhaust speeds on the fly, and I have used it for BIOS updates in the past, but there are better alternatives, as has been pointed out.
It seems too much of a coincidence that the GPU picked that particular half hour to kill itself, but I guess it's not impossible.
Good luck fixing your GPU.

·
Registered
769 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts