Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Diamond Turner at my school, would it be a cool idea to lap the CPU with that? It's extremely accurate, and takes 1/1000" passes and does optical quality finishes. What do you think?

This is the machine that I was referring to

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Just make sure the CPU is level while lapping. You probably have to lap it yourself first as well.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Well seeing as they are used for manufacturing in high-precision areas like optics for telescopes, I would think it would work great....but ideally you'd do the same to the heatinks/waterblock as well.

Also there's a point of diminishing returns and I'm pretty sure you won't see a large difference between conventional lapping and an extreme surface finish.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it would be level. I can make sure of it. If I do go through of it, I would show pictures of course.
I would try it with a cheap processor first though...*hint*

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
Don't bump, go do it. Nao.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
definitely use a cheap processor first. I have a surface grinder that will take 1 ten thousandth at a time and I've been tempted but man, kinda scary. its easy to drop it too far too fast. I've scrapped many parts that way. the first touch of the wheel to the surface is the trick. also would be good to know the thickness of the cover over the cores

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese
View Post

definitely use a cheap processor first. I have a surface grinder that will take 1 ten thousandth at a time and I've been tempted but man, kinda scary. its easy to drop it too far too fast. I've scrapped many parts that way. the first touch of the wheel to the surface is the trick. also would be good to know the thickness of the cover over the cores

Well this diamond grinder, it takes 5 ten thousandth of a pass at MAX. So this is going to be taking very little off at a time

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth
View Post

Well this diamond grinder, it takes 5 ten thousandth of a pass at MAX. So this is going to be taking very little off at a time

That's why I recommend you prelap it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sounds like a really cool option. Probably the most difficult part will be securing the CPU to the bench/base or whatever holds it in place while the machine does its cutting.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BikePilot
View Post

Sounds like a really cool option. Probably the most difficult part will be securing the CPU to the bench/base or whatever holds it in place while the machine does its cutting.

Indeed, If you don't have it square to the cutting head all you get is a flat plane that doesn't match up with your cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_russell View Post
Indeed, If you don't have it square to the cutting head all you get is a flat plane that doesn't match up with your cooler.
If I do go through with it, I would be lapping the Heatsink with it as well. And what do you mean by sqaure to the cutting head..? If I lap both as flat as possible, whats the problem?

I just don't want to break the tool. It is about $3000 a toolhead I heard. It's real diamond

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese
View Post

do you have a pic of this piece of machinery? a diamond wheel for a surface grinder is nowhere near three grand and it would be industrial diamond anyway. the problem im having would be securing it down. I can't think of a good solution

I can maybe get one tomorrow. I'm talking about JUST the tool, not the whole machine. The Diamond insert itself is like 3k I believe.
We had it donated to us. Some guy didn't use it, and it was cheaper to donate than to sell it. He gets a break from his taxes or something.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ok, I think I have an idea of what you are talking about. Wouldn't that turn the processor, though? It looks like it works like a lathe. Seems like it would be kinda scary turning a processor at ~1500RPM's against a diamond tip. I have a surface grinder, which the processor would sit flat on, and the table moves back and forth underneath a grinding wheel. I thought that's kind of what you were talking about. My fault.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts