Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've recently been surfing the forum here for tips on overclocking as I'm new to it. Just recently built myself a gaming rig. The specs are as follow:

CPU: i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.5v
VGA: MSI Twin Frozr II 2GB/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti
SDD: OCZ Agility III
PSU: Coolermaster GX-750
BOX: Coolermaster HAF 922

I'd like to give props to Sean Webster for his BIOS template since we both have the same CPU and MOBO. With his template, I am currently running Prime95 to see if I can reach 12 hours stable at 4.7GHz. So far I'm an hour into it and my max temps so far are 60, 66, 65, 66 on each core respectively but mostly hovering around 55, 61, 60, 61. The core voltage is bouncing around at 1.384v - 1.392v.

I originally wanted to shoot for a 4.8GHz overclock while staying below my limit of 1.4v but I kept getting BSODs. Perhaps I'll try again later down the road when I'm more comfortable with breaking the 1.4v barrier.

As a note for those interested in the Noctua NH-C14 CPU cooler, I did have to remove the heat spreaders on the 2 Corsair Vengeance modules closest to the CPU to allow for the dual fan setup.

Hopefully in about 11 hours, I'll be able to upload some screenshots to join the Sandy Bridge Stable Club.

UPDATE:
Just got a BSOD. Looks like I'll have to up the offset voltage and put it even closer to my 1.4v limit. I'm starting to think I got a lemon in the CPU lottery.

Yup, voltage is now fluctuating from 1.392v to 1.4v.

·
Registered
265 Posts
V nice volts for 4.7, i need around 1.42ish but im on 4.8 @ 1.45 currently tweaking for stability which will be my 24/7 run, then test for what i need for 5ghz without oc the blck.
What a chip you chose to start learning to oc in lol there are so many volts to play about with to balance but nice so far.

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
4.8ghz+ usually requires more than 1.4v on most chips, so your situation isn't unusual. I've been running my chip @ 1.505v since release without any signs of degradation, so if you really want to reach 4.8ghz you shouldn't feel bad surpassing 1.4v by a little. With that chip I'd say you should be able to hit 5ghz with 1.5v if you so desired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, that's a relief to hear that most chips require more than 1.4v to hit 4.8GHz. I'll retract that claim that I got a lemon then. I just didn't get the golden ticket of i5 2500K chips.

·
Registered
265 Posts
you havent got a bad one either
tongue.gif
but yeah if ur staying in the low 1.4v range and u keep ur temps below specs, you should be good to hit 4.8-4.9 and ur chip should hit 5ghz below 1.5 since ur doing better than me for 4.7 and my chip needs just over 1.5 to hit 5ghz (literally like 1.504-1.508) without oc the bclk and my temps never went above 68c with prime95 but the voltage spike was too much up to 1.51 so i backed off a bit. Back doing 4.8 @ 1.44 now i lowered my CPLL (i think is the right one) down to 1.425.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, I went out for a few hours and came home to a desktop without any programs open. Looks like I got a BSOD while I was out and it rebooted the computer. Bumping the offset up +.005 again and running Prime95 again...

Oddly though, according to CPU-Z, the core voltage hasn't changed at all. It's still bouncing back and forth from 1.392v to 1.4v.

UPDATE:
So far I'm almost 3.5 hours into running Prime95 and all seems to be going well. Going to sleep and hoping it's still running when I wake up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no luck getting to 12 hours stable yet. I've had to up the voltage again. CPU-Z is showing 1.4v - 1.408v for a 4.7GHz overclock. Is there any other setting I can change to help get this rig stable at 4.7GHz while staying at 1.4v or less? Would disabling CPU C3/C3 help to keep the voltage needed down or any other option for that matter?

Ai Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK/PCIE Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 47
Internal PLL Voltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: 1600MHz
DRAM Timing Control: 9-9-9-24-2
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

Ai Tweaker\ CPU Power Management >
CPU Ratio: Auto
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled