Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Linux > All
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a help request, more of a statement.

My wife and I have had a few financial ups and downs recently, like everyone. As such my plans of building a server with 8-10tb of space for media storage is not likely anytime soon. I had to make the best of what I have, currently 2.4 tb total space backed up via snapraid. I was near maxing out, at 80% capacity and running out of space. We collect movies and tv shows ( all dvd ) and rip them and the media centers around the house are kodi based. We watch stuff daily, always have something running.

The point I was making as mentioned above is making due. I recently finished re-ripping our entire collection (520 movies, 1087 episodes of various tv shows) to a higher compression ratio with handbrake. Many will say compression is the devil, uncompressed only way to go. I think differently. I have solid vision to date and can see quite well. We watch stuff regularly, and I can say with all honesty that neither of us can tell a difference from watching something uncompressed straight off a disc vs compressed with handbrake. No perceptible difference.

Some can see it, we cannot. The point is, try it before you knock it. Don't automatically buy into "Uncompressed of bust" mindset, actually try it yourself. In my case by re-ripping our stuff I went from 80% usage of space to 40%, effectively saving us 200+ bucks to upgrade enough to matter. We now are using less than half our storage, plenty of space to fill yet. And again as mentioned, we can't see a difference.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,784 Posts
My reason for leaving most of my video files uncompressed (or compressed very little) is because I don't want all my stuff looking like garbo when the time comes where 4K/8K is mainstream. Likely won't help much, but I don't have many files in the first place to worry about space - maybe 2TB of movies/TV shows.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I tried it. I can see the compression, especially in dark scenes. You get that strange blockiness going on in the dark areas. Especially noticeable in a dark room. And my TV is not some super TV. Just a nice 1080p LG. Ever since that experiment I went back to uncompressed MKV rips for DVD and Bluray. I am actually planning my first expansion of my Z-pool as a result.

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
I don't mind a reasonably made compressed version, such as doing it myself and preprocessing it to remove poor mastering issues. Still as source at best Bluray or close to it. DVD avoid widely when ever possible but some stuff was never made in 720p even, rare though, mostly older TV show series where only newer series of a show are in 720p at least.

Handbrake... don't like it. At least use Staxrip. H264 8bit... avoiding as well as hardware accelerated H265 10bit offers better quality when set right at the same bitrate and runs well much faster since it's a hardware encoder leaving all the CPU and GPU shader power over for preprocessing. For quality, sure x265 would be the way to go but that is terribly slow. AV1... still not finished, wouldn't even encode.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Stuff on disc is already compressed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts