Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Done
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine if this is a dumb idea or not....

I'm considering attaching a Microres to the drain port on an Alphacool Monsta rad. I'm envisioning the res acting like a sort of T-line; the coolant won't flow through the reservoir as part of the loop, but rather serve purely as a source of extra coolant for evaporation/top-up purposes. I've tried to do a bit of a paint diagram of what I'm talking about.

What are the consequences of trying to use a reservoir in this fashion?

·
Registered
86 Posts
with only one connection to a res, the air bubble in the res would be locked in; no water would ever move in or out of the res. even if you left the top of the res open to the air, it still wouldn't help in most cases. what you really want is to get some flow through the res, because that's what "brings" air bubbles in and lets more water flow out to take their place. if you put a T in the input line in your diagram and fed the branch line into the input port of the res, then you'd have a functional system. you don't want to do that, though, because that would partially bypass the radiator. best to just put the res in series with the loop like normal.

·
Done
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha, makes sense to me. I'll just stick with a traditional setup then
smile.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts