Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I just wanted to report that (from my personal experience) the only 100% safe dye that does not leave sediment or other debris in the loop is the Food Dye you can get at any grocery store. The kind in the little dropper bottles. Like any dye it fades after a few months but all you do is put in a few more drops and you are good to go. It's not UV reactive. But it does provide a deep true color to the water.

I've tried all the various PC specific dyes and they all leave some amount of crud in the loop. Most also stain the tubing. Some only last a few weeks before fading. Some will destroy acrylic tops and reservoirs.

Just thought I'd put that out there for general purposes

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I figured all dyes were different consistency then water and eventually separate which causes problems later.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
wow +rep my only question is if it starts to fade then the dye must be going somewhere. where is it going? and is food dye more susceptible to growth?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartasien View Post
wow +rep my only question is if it starts to fade then the dye must be going somewhere. where is it going? and is food dye more susceptible to growth?
Such is what my post refers too, the dyes separate from the water and gunk up in your water blocks.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
i'm thinking theres probably a reason why we're supposed to use only 1 or 2 drops per liter of distilled water lol. maybe it'll mess up ur parts if its in too high a concentration? no clue. but i no what u mean its definitely blue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nategr8ns View Post
Yeah, except that you can't call it pure copper sulfate if its in water
but i never said it was in the water, while i refered to it has pure

Anyone tryed it btw?

·
Registered
743 Posts
What about Mayhem's dyes CD? It seems he has a huge operation going and is constantly testing them to make sure his whole line-up is good. If anyone reports the dye has broken down, the color is automatically pulled from sales.

Seems most likely that all the ones he has for sale just take a very long time to break down? Thoughts?

EDIT: I think many of his do stain tubing, but honestly I have no problem with that. The only thing I am concerned with is the gunk in my blocks.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Food dye will stain CHEAP tubing, especially Clearflex 60 (and the color will fade over time), but as long as you know what to get you can avoid that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
I am using blue food colouring and diluted copper sulfate in my loop. So far i have had 0 problems but the real test will be in a week or two when i drain my loop, then i will see if it has put any gunk or stained anything.
Hi!

There were some guys on red raider that reported copper sulfate staining the tubes.

http://www.realredraider.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=27817

Do let us know what happens to your stuff.

Wes

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead
View Post

Copper sulfate is what is in PT nuke so if it stained the tubes i think we would have heard about it

Understood. But a few drops (1 per 250ml) is nothing compared to a bigger amount. As I read in this forum, some dude dumped the whole bottle into his loop and the loop got really messed up.

Wes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts