Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be very invested into PCs and PC gaming. My last full build was in 2013; I had a 3770K, EVGA Z77 FTW, and 780 SLI. In late 2014 I sold off my system after having purchased an Xbox and PS4. I had switched mostly to Mac machines, and I just didn’t play games on the computer any more because all my friends played on console.

A couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to get back into PC gaming (primarily because of PUBG and it’s abysmal experience on Xbox). I determined that I would try to put together a decent low/mid range build, wanting to spend no more than $400. The parts I already had from before were:

Fractal R4 case
H100i CPU cooler
Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Keyboard (CMX blacks)
Logitech G302 Mouse
WD 1TB Black HDD

So I was basically tasked with building an entire system. I decided that before I went purchasing parts on Amazon or Newegg I would try looking for used parts locally. I live in a relatively small town in Wyoming, so typically there is not much to find on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

I got lucky though, as the second day I was looking someone posted an ad for a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 board, an FX8350, and 16GB of GSkill 1333/CL7. I replied right away and managed to negotiate the price all the way town to $90! (I always low ball. Usually people act insulted and/or just laugh at me, but every once in a while I get lucky). I met up with the guy and everything looked to be in order, so I made the purchase.

I still needed an SSD, PSU, and GPU. I decided to put out an ISO ad, hoping I could find someone that had some extra parts laying around. The next day I got a message from someone selling an Antec 500W Earthwatts PSU. It was an older model, but still running strong. He just wanted to get rid of it, so he offered it to me for $5! Of course I picked it up that evening.

For the SSD I wasn’t having any luck, and Best Buy had a PNY 240GB on sale for $67, so I picked that up the next day on my lunch break.

Finally, I got an interesting message about a GPU. A local guy that I had dealt with before messaged me a screenshot and contact info for a listing of a PNY 1050ti XLR8. It was supposedly brand new. I messaged the seller immediately, hoping to get the jump on anyone else that had been interested. Apparently the guy had listed it 2 weeks prior and had nobody contact him before me. Because he just wanted to get rid of the card, I negotiated it down to $90! It still had the plastic on the card and looked like it had never been used.

So now, due to this series of fortunate events, my system is an FX 8350 with 16GB of memory and a 1050ti. The H100i with fans on lowest setting keeps it cool, and the entire system is whisper quiet even when benching or gaming. It’s not the best system in the world, but it basically only cost me $250, which I am extremely happy about.

Now if only I can go a while without getting that upgrade bug........

·
Registered
224 Posts
same GPU, better CPU than what i'm pushing for 5.0 on my sabertooth board

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have 8320 and 8320E, the latter of which i am pushing while the other sits on a shelf lol

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,150 Posts
same GPU, better CPU than what i'm pushing for 5.0 on my sabertooth board
Actually the 8320E you're running is just as good as an 8350 except from a stock-specs standpoint.

All FX chips tend to OC the same related to how far you can push it based on how it's tweaked and cooling used. In fact the one you have is doing better than my 8370 does, it runs hot to the point of trying to make it run there (5.0) for any amount of time just isn't doable. Even my 8300 chip does better with the same exact cooling and all used including tweaks. I can use water if I want and it does better but then so do the other chips too.

No need to worry about it so much, what you have will work just as well as most any 8350 will, if only going for stock speeds is when the 8350 wins out. BTW even the 8300 has better stock specs than a 8320E does based on clock speeds at stock, you can check the specs to see it for yourself and the 8300 is also a 95W chip. However since you are OC'ing it, there isn't any real reason to worry about that..... As long as it's getting the job done it's all good.

@ the OP - Good job getting a setup done on the cheap, I believe it will do well for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts