Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
sɪɴɢɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This language, is in my opinion VERY easy to learn.

Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition (just click the same name link on the page, and select your language, and download)

All you really need to do is learn some programming guides online.
One thing you should know however, is this is a VISUAL and "object" oriented language, meaning your working with visual objects and coding for them. Yet it incorporates everything else that has to do with general programming.

There is a catch though, because it is fairly easy to learn, the power of it isn't as great. Meaning that you won't be able to design ultra-cool games or huge programs. (It may be possible, but most defiantly not worth the time.)

This isn't a language you will learn in 1 day, maybe not 1 week. But probably in about a month, maybe 2 hours a day, you should be able to make decent programs. But most importantly, it will introduce to you "programming" and enable you to better yourself in programming.

Here is an example what you can do with Visual Basic (2008) in a little over 1 week (ONCE YOU ARE FLUENT IN THE LANGUAGE)

If you do decide to download this, once installed, located in "programs"\\TheParkerBros Inc.\\Ming Mong is a picture labeled "samplecode.bmp" and there you can take a look at what one part of a page (form) looks like.

The link is in the middle of the post, and you don't have to read the post if you don't feel like it.

Here is the sample code.

Have fun coding.

And don't forget the semi-colon;

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Lies! jk X-D If you know like 5-10 different programing languages already, visual basic will take you about 20 minutes to figure out what your doing. X-D

If your a programming "nub" the most SIMPLE and POWERFUL language is MATLAB! Matlab can do well....anything. Seriously, anything! It will make you a sandwich if you will it so. Also it's way way easier than visual basic.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsontears809739 View Post
Lies! jk X-D If you know like 5-10 different programing languages already, visual basic will take you about 20 minutes to figure out what your doing. X-D

If your a programming "nub" the most SIMPLE and POWERFUL language is MATLAB! Matlab can do well....anything. Seriously, anything! It will make you a sandwich if you will it so. Also it's way way easier than visual basic.
Anything? Can it render 3D objects (with textures, lighting, normal-mapping etc...) in real-time?

Seriously though, MatLab is intended primarily as a numerical computing environment. Unless you're making a program extensive in its math usage, I'm not sure why you would use it.

·
sɪɴɢɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Anything? Can it render 3D objects (with textures, lighting, normal-mapping etc...) in real-time?

Seriously though, MatLab is intended primarily as a numerical computing environment. Unless you're making a program extensive in its math usage, I'm not sure why you would use it.
Well I know for a programmer just starting out, please notice that I said that lol, Visual Basic can do just about anything you would want it to.

Like I said earlier though, its not real powerful, so don't expect to make awesome 3d games, but I did make a 3D version of space invaders with it though, fricken sweet, but would be crushed by even DOOM (1).

Basically you take the base of C programming (not language syntax, but programming technique), and add windows stuff to it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
extremely easy program to learn. was the first language i learned. Made a fully functional Deal or No deal game as a school project in a week.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyparker1337
View Post

Well I know for a programmer just starting out, please notice that I said that lol, Visual Basic can do just about anything you would want it to.

Like I said earlier though, its not real powerful, so don't expect to make awesome 3d games, but I did make a 3D version of space invaders with it though, fricken sweet, but would be crushed by even DOOM (1).

Basically you take the base of C programming (not language syntax, but programming technique), and add windows stuff to it.

I'm sorry, I think I was confusing. I was referring to the MatLab post above mine, not the original post in the OP.

My first language was QuickBASIC, which in hindsight was slightly horrible. I then self-taught myself C/C++ for awhile. IMO C/C++ are the best languages to start with, you'll realize pretty quick whether or not you're cut out for programming, and if you learn C/C++ as your first language, you'll be pretty much set to more easily learn any other language out there.

·
sɪɴɢɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
I'm sorry, I think I was confusing. I was referring to the MatLab post above mine, not the original post in the OP.

My first language was QuickBASIC, which in hindsight was slightly horrible. I then self-taught myself C/C++ for awhile. IMO C/C++ are the best languages to start with, you'll realize pretty quick whether or not you're cut out for programming, and if you learn C/C++ as your first language, you'll be pretty much set to more easily learn any other language out there.
Yup that's exactly what my College does. However, I think C/C++ can kill alot of "would be" programmers though because the learning curve is high. I was able to self teach myself Visual Basic before my first class of it in 9th grade, but C++ didn't even know where to begin. Wasn't until my C college course that I begin to understand how C/C++ C# all that stuff works.

And yes, lots of people in my C class got destroyed. And that I believe is easier than C++ and C#.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
VB.net along with the utilization of other cool programs, like asp.net, databases, etc. can bring about a pretty good program, for general use that is, but nothing serious (business oriented).

As far as learning coding with VB.net, I wouldn't recommend it for the first language for 2 very good reasons.

You will not learn Good Coding Practices, as everything is Pre-Generated, unlike a lower level programming language, there is too much help, which can make it annoying too!

Because this language has simplified the task of programming by Pre-Generating Classes, functions, structs, etc., it robs the learning programmer the chance to learn how to do many thing, because many functions just use a keyword, no need to code it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts