Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currentl using IE7 as my internet browr and every now and then wn I switch to a new page i get a pop-up that opens full-screen in anoth IE7 window (ot a tab). This just started few days ago. I tried a systrestore before the problem was happening but that didn't work. I have tried running spybot SD, Ad-Awre SE, and norton full sytem scan multiple times. I ha updated all of them. Also I have been getting a of "trojan block, your system is secure" from norton. Could I have a trojan? Any ways to fix this problem?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like IE7
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
1. Please spell check.
2. Its spyware/adware.
3. Download http://www.safer-networking.org/ and http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
4. Update definitions for both and scan, not at the same time.
5. To avoid this happening in the future download firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
6. Never use IE again.

You will get spyware and adware with IE. If you really like IE (which I have no idea why you would...) than you will have to deal with that and have to scan for adware/spyware quite a bit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,440 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

1. Please spell check.
2. Its spyware/adware.
3. Download http://www.safer-networking.org/ and http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
4. Update definitions for both and scan, not at the same time.
5. To avoid this happening in the future download firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
6. Never use IE again.

You will get spyware and adware with IE. If you really like IE (which I have no idea why you would...) than you will have to deal with that and have to scan for adware/spyware quite a bit.

You left out the most important add-on for FireFox.

Adblock Plus!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sry about the spelling, my keyboard is wireless but it hasn't been getting good reception, it will kinda just skip letters or words. I have tried Mozilla fire fox and I just didn't like it. If those 2 programs can't fix this I may consider a switch. I don't understand completely because this has never happened before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Hmmmm lol the only tracking cookies that show up on Spybot Search and Destroy on this machine come from Firefox.....not IE7, And let's see the hover mouse over a picture to get the alt text.....doesn't work in Firefox....I used to really like Firefox, but not anymore....I'm not a fanboy... I just use what works best....and Firefox just doesn't deliver.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kingsnake2
View Post

Sry about the spelling, my keyboard is wireless but it hasn't been getting good reception, it will kinda just skip letters or words. I have tried Mozilla fire fox and I just didn't like it. If those 2 programs can't fix this I may consider a switch. I don't understand completely because this has never happened before.

Firefox is faster at browsing than IE as well. I'm not sure why you don't like it, you can customize it to be nearly the same as IE.

Possible that someone decided to visit a few porn or warez sites? Those sites normally contain alot of adware and visiting just a few can get you pretty infested on IE.

I've been using firefox for over a year now, and i've come to the conclusion I dont even need adware/spyware removers. I never get them anymore.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
933 Posts
Check here: What to do if your computer gets Infected.

Make sure your Windows is currently up to date. (This includes IE7 if you insist on using it.)
Make sure Norton is Updated (same with AdAware and Spybot).
Run an online scan from either Trend Micro, Panda or Kaspersky.

If you're infected and can't remove it yourself, you may want to visit one of the forums that specializes in malware removal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Possible that someone decided to visit a few porn or warez sites? Those sites normally contain alot of adware and visiting just a few can get you pretty infested on IE.

No i have never been to any sites like that....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kingsnake2
View Post

No i have never been to any sites like that....

I would just download adaware and spybot, they should detect everything and remove it, as long as its not a virus but that doesnt sound like a virus. If you keep using IE i'd recommend scanning with both programs every other week or so.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: kingsnake2

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I would just download adaware and spybot, they should detect everything and remove it, as long as its not a virus but that doesnt sound like a virus. If you keep using IE i'd recommend scanning with both programs every other week or so.
nothing wrong with IE for me, never got anything infected from using IE
i scan about every month or so, nothing wrong with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already scan with them every week, I may try the 2007 version from lavasoft
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't get rid of this stuff, I have run all of hose scans and updated them and ran them again and again. Still doesn't work. The explorer.exe process seems to be taking up way more RAM than it usually does, could this be a sign or side effect of adware? My coputer seems to be running laggy in general, windows keep showing after thay have been closed, when you move a window it blots out the sreen by still showing where it used to be, etc, yada yada yada... Would a system restore fix this maybe? It would re-install all the system files and IE which seems to be whats infected since firefox still works. Thx

Also there are Trojans being blocked by nortan every 2 second, would spyware or a worm cause this massive increase in the amount of trajans my computer is being bombarded with?
Thx again for any help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump, right now whenever it shows a pop-up i right click, go to properties, copy and paste the url, and then put that in my restricted sites..Do any of you think thatwill stop it? Would there be a limit to the # of sites it brings up or is it just random and virtually unlimited?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Try running those programs in safe mode.
After you remove them in safe mode, reboot and go into safe mode again, then restart and go into normal mode.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top