Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Its off an old BFG 6600GTOC, I don't even know what I want to do with it or if I even can, but I'm just curious. How would I power it?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not2bad

I'm not sure how you would power it but it would probably be a good northbridge cooler.

My thoughts exactically

It may require a little modding but if there is no 3 wire on the fan it won't report the RPMs and the MB will think it's not running.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
The easiest way to power it is to find a fan with a 3 pin connector that you can scrap. Cut the wire about an inch up from the 3 pin. then its a simple mater of soldering red to red and black to black. I agree with ^ it would make a great NB cooler. It wount mater if it has a yellow wire, it will just stay on alll the time and you wont be able to speed control or see the rpms of it.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Oh, I love things like this...my case has so many fans on it I have to tie it down or it'll fly away.

Get a thermometer, preferably a digital one with a sensor on the end of a wire. Place the sensor in various spots through out your case. You can tape it to the top and sides or just place it here or there.

I have found all sorts of areas that just don't get good airflow and tend to heat up over time. These areas in turn will heat up the entire case, but if you find your "hot spots" you can put fans in there to blow it out into the open where your exaust fan can grab it.

Now most of these hot spots are very minor...I ussually use cheap 40mm fans that are so quiet you couldn't hear them in an otherwise fan-less system. I did however find a huge one that was in the area between my PSU and the DVD Roms...right above the processor. It was arround 20 degrees C warmer! I got a hold of some thing very similar in the pic and I sodered it onto the top of case so it blows down and that was the end of that issue.

I also have some thing similar tacked onto the bottom of a DVD Burner and it really helps move the heat off it to, but it's really there for looks and conversation. Some people think it came with the burner before I tell them.

But yeah...it would work great as a chipset cooler on an older board...but you would have to use thermal adhesive (not grease) to put it on. So it would be there forever, unless by some miracle you can jury-rig it on there

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering about these power connectors that are used to power my flash card reader and front usb's and, which are the two rows of pins along the bottom right. Also there is a row that is blue that look exactly the same as the other two. Are they the same for power? Well anyhow I want to try plugging my fan into one of these sets of pins, I wonder... any advice since I have no clue what I'm doin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may have located a front chassis fan connector with 3 pins, ok so I guess I will scrap an old fan and put a 3 prong connector on this bfg fan....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well to finally complete this thread... I ended up locating a front chassis fan connector, connected up the BFG fan, works great. I cleaned the entire contact side of the heatsink to a smooth finish and covered the entire surface with AS5. I then rigged it onto my HD as best I could with the length of wire from the fan. To my surprise it dropped my HD temp from 46 deg. celcius to 33!! I'm proud of my first home made cooling experiment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by not2bad

I'm not sure how you would power it but it would probably be a good northbridge cooler.

Threw it on my HD...

• Rep+
Reactions: Tonymontana1187
1 - 9 of 9 Posts