Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I was looking around the forum.. and the great card ranks and i got a pretty good idea.. but I would like to check this with you guys aswell..

You guys can see my sig for PC stats...
now the problem here is that most of gamers are 1280x1024 .. or under 1440x9xx

I have my 1920x1200 monitor..
and i know what you're thinking "wow this dude is gonna have to spend alot on his video card"....
and yes thats EXACTLY what im thinking sadly.
My budget is ~250 and willing to go up to 300 if it makes a world's difference.
I just built a PC for a friend and the 5770 works awesome for the 160 he paid for it. I was thinking about that card, however if i can squeeze a little more.. i found the 5830 thats ~250 where i want it... is there a huge difference between the 5850 and 5830 ? i would like the card to have DX11 since im going to do some gaming..

so my view is that my options are ..
5770 - cheapest
5830 - where i want it to be
5850 - the more $$ one..

to be honest i havnt really looked into Nvidia as much because from what i can tell at this moment now on a $$$budget ati does better..
however, any opinions are welcome.
so please share your opinion..
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
there is a pretty big difference between 5830 and 5850. The 5830 is barely better than the 5770 and gets beat by the 4890 (by a tiny bit). Get a 5850, as it is truly a "next gen" card, not something that has worse performance than the 4890, GTX 275, etc. And lots of ppl on here run that rez.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As of this moment the 5850 is the better bargin between the two 58xx series cards you mentioned. It can quite commonly overclock to at least 5870 speeds if not higher.
It is the ideal card for your resolution.

5770 is a great card and there are a number of them selling in the For Sale section here. Buying one now gives you the ability to run a second one later for >5870 performance.

The 5830 is a great card but it still is a bit high in price and low in performance (due to immature driver support). It will really come into its own and will fit perfectly in the ladder of ATI offerings.

5770 can overclock commonly to meet and sometimes exceed 4890 speeds while offering significantly lower power consumption.

The best advice I can give is buy the single most powerful card you can as apposed to buying two less powerful cards (Unless the price difference is extreme).

Prices might/should fall soon after the street launch of the GTX480 and it would be prudent to wait if not just to see how the GTX470 does (as this will be around your needs but might be too high for your budget).

MSI Hawk 5770 seem to be the card to own if you go the cheaper card route.
Asus and MSI as well as Sapphire are all cards I'm looking to buy and I'm in the same situation you are as far as decisions.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The 5850 is significantly faster at stock clocks. Both the 5830 and 5850 overclock very well and very far. Your best bet for performance to price would be getting a 5850 and flashing it to a 5870 bios so you can overclock the living heck out of it. That my 2 cents though. Both are great cards but I've seen a lot more people get better results with the 5850.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts