Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends have recently upgraded their machines so they now have Pentium4, Amd Athlon etc old pcs lying around. I recently read sumthing about distributed OS s. I was wondering whether it would be possible to build one Faster computer using these older PCs something like a mini supercomputer if u may. I want to know which OS to use and how to get the whole process done. This wud earn me some high grades from the professors so Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Yes.
There is a Linux distro called ClusterKnoppix, which I ran on a slew of older Pentium 4 and Athlon XP systems and got results faster than a Q6600. Not great, I know, as it was 8 computers, but it was still a fun project. There are only a few applications that will use that many cores in a manner like this (across multiple computers), however, one of them is Povray, a ray-tracer, which is what I tried on them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although I have only built some clusters with few PC's only for Condor (High Performance Computing) and Linux, my personal opinion is with the right software and setup he can get a "homemade" supercomputer regardless of what CPU's he uses because supercomputing is all about shared computing, of course I'm also taking into account what CPU's he will be using for the Pool.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx a Lottttttttttttttttttttt..........
is it a linux os? if then sudn't it be able to run all linux programs? AND also What do you think about Xtreem OS which i came across on the net? <a>http://www.xtreemos.eu</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts