Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is craptacular. I just bought HL2 and didn't even think to check the requirements. You need to be connected to the internet to play the damn game, but I can't do that because I'm on a limited dial up account on the only phone line, so I have only so many hours and the phone line needs to be kept available for my mom's business. The only way I can go high speed is HF wireless, which is expensive and a craptacular deal of it's own. *sigh*, looks like I'm gonna have to wait till I go to University or something to play, unless someone has a crack or something that allows for unconnected play??

·
Registered
527 Posts
some people have illegal verison that work perfectly but no online play and the graphics and everything is the same and its only 1.46gigs instead of the full size... and there is a crack for steam 2...umm i dont ahve this illegal verison...nope i dunno anything about it..yep lol...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, of course you wouldn't know anything about finding this crack right. Since I bought the damn thing it wouldn't really be illegal.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Several colleges are actually banning a connection to Steam. So many college students are wasting money on Half Life 2 also. :/

It was pretty well-publicized that HL2 would require Steam.
You can search through Google because, technically, what you're asking for is illegal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sucks to be you, I guess... Here in the Maritimes I get 500k/s D/L speeds consistantly... Unless ther's high-traffic, or I'm
'd from the other end... Looks like your gonna hafta PAY FOR IT YOUR DAMN SELF... Welcome to the real world... I pay $115 a month for my package (web, phone, cable)... Eastlink...

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Wow, that's a terrible price from my perspective. Anyway, here you go.

Do I have to have an Internet Connection to play Half Life 2: The short answer is Yes. If you don't have any kind of Internet connection, you cannot play Half Life 2. Steam requires online authentication of your Half Life 2 CD Key and it also needs to download additional files to activate and complete the Half Life 2 install before it can be played. There is no legal way around this - the CD Key must be authenticated online, and sharing Steam cached files with your friends is illegal. However once you've registered your CD Key and updated Half Life 2 you can play it offline at any time without having to have an active Internet connection - see below.

Playing Half Life 2 offline: Once installed, verified and updated online, you can play Half Life 2 without having to be connected to the Internet. To do this, follow the Steam Configuration instructions further below. Then whenever you want to play offline, make sure you don't have an active Internet connection and launch Half Life 2. When prompted, select the 'Play in Offline Mode' option and the game will load and play offline. For more detailed information, including playing offline on other machines, check this: Steam Article. http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi...hp?p_faqid=213

• Rep+
Reactions: zokus

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew, thats relieving. I misread and thought you HAD to be connected at all times to play. Thanks for clearing that up. And BTW, Boomhauer, that seems like a crappier deal than what i would get, although I would have a DL cap at 8 GB's with wireless. And it's 55 bucks a month, not including equiptment rentals or purchase. and I'm only 17 living at home. I can't afford it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

Wow, that's a terrible price from my perspective....

Thats' Cnd$, even now that the USD is down (or ours is up, whatever...) it works out to about $100 USD for everything... Phone, cable, and internet... And thats expensive? What kinda D/L speeds do you experience on average? And how much do you (or anyone...) pay for your connection/package?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

... And BTW, Boomhauer, that seems like a crappier deal than what i would get, although I would have a DL cap at 8 GB's with wireless. And it's 55 bucks a month, not including equiptment rentals or purchase. and I'm only 17 living at home. I can't afford it.

A D/L speed of 8gb per second, you say...? That just doesnt sound right to me...? And all costs are included in the earlier quote, I dont pay extra to rent my modem or anything... And obliviously I dont live at home either, thank God my power is free too... Its included in my rent.

*edit - we have a montly cap of 30gigs, anymore and I need a business account (more $) which covers up to 80gigs a month...?

·
Registered
527 Posts
hmmm i can get 41 gigs i calced correctly...5mbp/s= at least 500kB/s x 60 secx60 minsx24/1024/1024=41.19 gigs a day... hehe and i only pay 39.95 and there is no rental fee or aanything ever and no caps and 2mbp/s up with speesd of 230kB/s

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

A D/L speed of 8gb per second, you say...? That just doesnt sound right to me...? And all costs are included in the earlier quote, I dont pay extra to rent my modem or anything... And obliviously I dont live at home either, thank God my power is free too... Its included in my rent.

*edit - we have a montly cap of 30gigs, anymore and I need a business account (more $) which covers up to 80gigs a month...?

No, 8GB monthly cap, with 1mbps DL speed. It doesn't take long to get rid of that 8GBs. So thats why i just stuck with dialup.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I actually pay the bills as well... Im a college student working hard in school and at the job...
... been living with my significant other for the last 2 years enjoying the "pay for your own crap" phase...

Right now I'm paying for 3 mb cable internet and full cable tv for $ 40 US and a phone bill of just under $ 20 US... and Im a sharing machine... my line is never not busy... downloading or uploading, no limits...

I cant wait for verizon to fully introduce their new service cause when I move Im going to try my damnedest to get their 10 mb dl/ul line...

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

This is craptacular. I just bought HL2 and didn't even think to check the requirements. You need to be connected to the internet to play the damn game, but I can't do that because I'm on a limited dial up account on the only phone line, so I have only so many hours and the phone line needs to be kept available for my mom's business. The only way I can go high speed is HF wireless, which is expensive and a craptacular deal of it's own. *sigh*, looks like I'm gonna have to wait till I go to University or something to play, unless someone has a crack or something that allows for unconnected play??

You only need a net connection once... When Steam has verified the game is an original it will be available for offline play... If you not connected and try to play it will come up with steam and ask you if you want to play in offline mode click yes and then you play.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
and I was under the assumption that I had already posted what he needed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts