Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, guys this isnt really a question just something i find interesting. with my setup below. i run my htt @ 260 and my mem at 212 (2.5 3 3 6) w/ a divider, so i can get the most outa my cpu with my crappy ram. so anyway i get 6300mb/s in sandra. but as ive heard running 1:1 is better w/ a64 so just for kicks i changed my settings so i ran 220 htt 1:1 with exactly the same timings and i got like 5400mb/s so it seems the processor speed effects the mem bandwidth. since the mem controller is on the cpu its not surprizing but i thought it was kinda cool. i also hear about people running like 275 1:1 and having like 4xxxmb/s bandwidth perhaps this is because of loose timings but this is pretty dramatic.

thoughts comments?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The reason you see an increase in memory bandwidth at the same bus frequency but a higher core clock speed is because a memory read operation (memory data to CPU memory controller) is done at the memory bus frequency (2x200MHz by default), but a memory write operation (CPU memory controller data to memory) is done at the CPU core frequency.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so a mem read should be the same in either case but a mem right would be determined by the clock speed correct?

check this out...
this is acording to aida32
220 1:1(1980mhz) read 5622 write 1566
260 6:5(2340mhz) read 6083 write 1660

now i dont know how this benchmark does its tests so what u say could still be true....but it is interesting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts