Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought the A780GM-A motherboard from ECS, and I am having some trouble connecting the front panel audio.

I sent an email to the support of ECS who responded to me how to connect each plug.
It was said to connect the following.
motherboard Case
1 - PORT1_L Speaker OUT L
2 - AUD_GND Ground
3 - PORT1_R Speaker out R
4 - PRESENCE
5 - PORT2_R Return R
6 - SENSE_Return Mic IN
7 - SENSE_SEND MIC BIAS
8 - EMPTY
9 - PORT2_L Return L
10 - SENSE2_RETURN

I am sure that i hooked correctly and the front panel is working.
Tested with a headset and not worked.
Normally when you connect the audio in the front door the back one stop working, but not this happened.
When I connect just the audio nothing happens. When i connect the mic all sound stops and the contral panel detects as both (mic and audio) are conected. Even if i conect the audio no sound can be listen on the headset.

Does any one have any suggestions? Maybe a different connection ?

Thanks everyone and sorry for bad English.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Perhaps you need to enable it in the BIOS?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgthector
View Post

How???

There should be an option in your BIOS under the Integrated Peripherals tab, asking you whether or not you'd like to enable the Front Panel Audio.

Take a look and tell us what you see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

There should be an option in your BIOS under the Integrated Peripherals tab, asking you whether or not you'd like to enable the Front Panel Audio.

Take a look and tell us what you see.

Didn´t work!
The only thing i found under integrates peripherals about audio is "ONBOARD AUDIO FUNCTION", and it has 3 options: Enable, disable and auto. It was in enable, and i set it to auto, but it´s happing the same thing.

It is interesting that when i connect only the plug of the headset nothing happens.
But when i connect the microphone plug the control panel displays as both are connected and rear audio stops.

I dont know!
Have another idea??

Anyway, thanks for the attention!!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgthector View Post
Didn´t work!
The only thing i found under integrates peripherals about audio is "ONBOARD AUDIO FUNCTION", and it has 3 options: Enable, disable and auto. It was in enable, and i set it to auto, but it´s happing the same thing.

It is interesting that when i connect only the plug of the headset nothing happens.
But when i connect the microphone plug the control panel displays as both are connected and rear audio stops.

I dont know!
Have another idea??

Anyway, thanks for the attention!!
You stumped me.

Perhaps try installing the latest audio drivers?

And I do know the option you're talking about, I just remember seeing there being a separate option for the front panel connector. It may be labeled as HD Audio as well.

Were there any other options that had to do with audio?

And good luck my friend, I really hope you can sort this out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift. View Post
You stumped me.

Perhaps try installing the latest audio drivers?

And I do know the option you're talking about, I just remember seeing there being a separate option for the front panel connector. It may be labeled as HD Audio as well.

Were there any other options that had to do with audio?

And good luck my friend, I really hope you can sort this out.

In the BIOS i only find the one i´ve told and the HDMI Audio under Advanced chipset setup, and this only have enable and disable.

I´ll try a diferente sound driver, but it seens like be a hardware issue.

dskina >> Is the a front mic input, and does it work?

Sorry, but i don´t understand what you mean.....

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgthector View Post
Hi,

I recently bought the A780GM-A motherboard from ECS, and I am having some trouble connecting the front panel audio.

I sent an email to the support of ECS who responded to me how to connect each plug.
It was said to connect the following.
motherboard Case
1 - PORT1_L Speaker OUT L
2 - AUD_GND Ground
3 - PORT1_R Speaker out R
4 - PRESENCE
5 - PORT2_R Return R
6 - SENSE_Return Mic IN
7 - SENSE_SEND MIC BIAS
8 - EMPTY
9 - PORT2_L Return L
10 - SENSE2_RETURN

I am sure that i hooked correctly and the front panel is working.
Tested with a headset and not worked.
Normally when you connect the audio in the front door the back one stop working, but not this happened.
When I connect just the audio nothing happens. When i connect the mic all sound stops and the contral panel detects as both (mic and audio) are conected. Even if i conect the audio no sound can be listen on the headset.

Does any one have any suggestions? Maybe a different connection ?

Thanks everyone and sorry for bad English.
The A780GM-A only supports an HD audio (aka/ AZALIA) front panel audio dongle. It will not support AC'97... There is noting in the BIOS that can be switched as on other Mobos.

If your case has an (older standard) AC'97 dongle, plugging headphones into your front panel jack won't turn off the back speakers. AC'97 and HD Audio are not backward compatable.

The AC'97 standard has normally closed switches that connect to ground when no jack is installed in the mini plug for the microphone. Basically pins 1 & 3 on your plug are grounded. When you plug in a mini plug... (your microphone) into the jack, the switches open, and the mic sends a signal back to the sound device on pin 1 (MIC) and pin 3 (MIC Bias).

The headphone jack also has 2 normally closed switches that connect pins 5 and 6 (headphone R)... and pins 9 & 10 (headphone L) when the headphones are unplugged. These connections in AC'97 route the sound signal to the back speaker connector.

When you plug in a headphone in AC'97... the signal path is broken by the switches opening and the headphones work, receiving its signal from Pin 5 (R channel) and pin 9 (L channel) and since the switches are no longer closed to send the signal to the rear panel jacks, the rear panel connection stops working. Pins 2 & 4 are the Ground connections for both jacks.

Unfortunately, HD Audio doesn't work this way. And dosen't necessarily have a MIC/Headphone jack... It has two jacks in the FP, but HD audio can retask the plugs, meaning that the headphone plug can be the microphone, and vice-versa depending on what the HD Audio "senses" is plugged in.

HD Audio instead has normally open switches, in the mini jacks. Although the signals for R-L mic and headphones are still carried on the same pin locations as in AC'97, the connection on pin 4 is a little different. Pin 4 is a "Presence" signal... simplified, a connection at the audio dongle with a resistance of 1K Ohms to ground.

Pin 7 (Sense Send) is a common connection to both of the normally open switches in Jack 1 and 2 of the front audio dongle. Plug in a headphone into jack 2, the switch in jack 2 closes, makes a connection between pins 7 and 10, and sends a signal back to the audio controler on pin 10 (Sense2 return). Same thing happens with Jack 1 except it's pin 7 and pin 6 (Sense1 return) that get connected.

So what does that long boreing, and confusing explanation mean.....

You need to have an HD audio dongle on your computer case ..if you do, just plug it in, and the front panel will perform as you expected... plug in headphones, and the back panel plug will turn off.

If you have an AC'97 Front dongle..... wire only pins:
I'll see if I can make it look lioke the plug:

1 (MIC-L)___________ 2 (Ground)
3 (MIC-R or BIAS)_____4 Empty
5 (Headpone R)_______6 Empty
7 Empty_____________8 Key
9 (Headphone L)______10 Empty

Edited the layout above ^ for clairity

This will allow the front headphone and MIC to function, but it will not disable the rear mic or speakers when you plug into the front.

normally, the grounding to the presence detect would not cause your problem, so I'm assuming that you've reversed the ground wire somwhere on your headphone jack.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
After that monstrosity I just posted.... an easy way to identify which type of dongle you have on the front panel is to look at the plug. If the plug is not labeled (AC'97, HD Audio or AZALIA)... HD AUDIO(AZALIA) has all 9 wires... AC'97 has less, it may have a fat red wire on PIN 7 (+5V), but always has a looped jumper at the plug.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
what about me? i have the same mobo and here are my front panel pins:

R-out
R-ret
L-out
L-ret
gnd
mic-pwr
mic-in

i figured out the audio out, but i'm having prolems with the mic. i dunno w/c pin mic-pwr and mic-in should be.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

i dunno w/c pin mic-pwr and mic-in should be.

Wire it like I showed above MIC wires (MIC L) to Pin 1 (MIC R) to pin 3 grounds are on pin 2 for both MIC and Headphones.

based on the pins you describe, it looks like you may only have a mono microphone jack on your dongle... if so, wire your mic-in to both pin 1 and 3... the ground still goes to pin 2

You can't use the +5V (The (Mic-PWR) your looking for because HD Audio dosen't have it). You can boost your mic gain in the IDT control panel after you get the mic wired and working. that is all the +5V did anyway under AC'97.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
gee thanks but i only have 1 pin for mic-in? so i have no use for mic pwr at all eh?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

View Post

gee thanks but i only have 1 pin for mic-in? so i have no use for mic pwr at all eh?

Nope...

... hey I didn't change the standard... only tried to explain it...

you'll find that you don't need it anyway... the mic will still work

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx
View Post

Nope...

... hey I didn't change the standard... only tried to explain it...

you'll find that you don't need it anyway... the mic will still work

hehehe

i only have one pin for mic-in. so i'll just have to insert it to either 1 or 3 ayt?

+rep to you man

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
XANDYPX> IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

The headphone works, but the mic don´t!

What could i do now?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

View Post

hehehe

i only have one pin for mic-in. so i'll just have to insert it to either 1 or 3 ayt?

mono plug... splice the wire and pin it to 1 and 3 if you can (if you can get the pin out of 7 without ruining it)... if not you'll have Right channel on pin 1 or Left channel on pin 3.

EDIT: Sorry other way around Right channel on pin 3... Left channel on Pin 1

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgthector
View Post

The headphone works, but the mic don´t!

What could i do now?

Make sure your the ground for the mic is going to pin 2 with the headphone ground.

Also in the IDT control panel, make sure the mic isn't muted, and the "volume" for the mic is up. you may also need to increase the mic gain to boost the volume of the mic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts