Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have my computer overclocked to the following specs: 13x for the multiplier and 180mhz on the bus. My cpu vcor is 1.725. Im stumped though as to what to set my timings at. Currently at 2.5 3 3 7

Can anyone help me out here, thanks =-)

BTW running athlon xp 3000+

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty22

Ok I have my computer overclocked to the following specs: 13x for the multiplier and 180mhz on the bus. My cpu vcor is 1.725. Im stumped though as to what to set my timings at. Currently at 2.5 3 3 7

Can anyone help me out here, thanks =-)

BTW running athlon xp 3000+

You might want to check your clock speed. That processors multi is useually locked at 11

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

You might want to check your clock speed. That processors multi is useually locked at 11

Im sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really have almost no idea what Im doing. I have read a lot of information regarding overclocking, but im still wary about doing anything major. The only thing I have changed in my settings were to set my mb to aggressive settings (which is an option on the MB) and then set the speeed to 100% and the multi was already at 13x I never changed that, only thing I have changed is really the bus to 180 up from 166 and the vcor to 1.725 up from 1.675

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Crash are you sure about that? It thought the XP 3000+ was a 2.16Ghz chip (13 x 166 = 2.158)?

Quote:

Im sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really have almost no idea what Im doing. I have read a lot of information regarding overclocking, but im still wary about doing anything major. The only thing I have changed in my settings were to set my mb to aggressive settings (which is an option on the MB) and then set the speeed to 100% and the multi was already at 13x I never changed that, only thing I have changed is really the bus to 180 up from 166 and the vcor to 1.725 up from 1.675

Scotty, what type RAM are you running, Speed and brand?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Crash are you sure about that? It thought the XP 3000+ was a 2.16Ghz chip (13 x 166 = 2.158)?

Scotty, what type RAM are you running, Speed and brand?

Sorry I probably should have stated that to begin with, Im running two 256 chips of DDR PC3200 Corsair and one 512 chip of the same exact brand that I just got in the mail today. When I installed the 512 in my computer today though, I LOST mhz....went from 2.16 to 1.7.....very weird and that is when I decided to start checking out overclocking and found this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Sorry I probably should have stated that to begin with, Im running two 256 chips of DDR PC3200 Corsair and one 512 chip of the same exact brand that I just got in the mail today. When I installed the 512 in my computer today though, I LOST mhz....went from 2.16 to 1.7.....very weird and that is when I decided to start checking out overclocking and found this forum.

I saw you had another post about the memory causing slower clock speeds. I don't know why the heck it loosing speed after installing more RAM. Have you tried only running the 512Mb chip by itself? if so, does the speed still drop?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

I saw you had another post about the memory causing slower clock speeds. I don't know why the heck it loosing speed after installing more RAM. Have you tried only running the 512Mb chip by itself? if so, does the speed still drop?

hmm that would probably be a good idea, Ill try that and let you know what happens, probably take me a few minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Ok, Let us know how it goes.

one more thing, you did get the same speed PC3200 just 512Mb instead of 256 right?

Ok just took out the two 256 chips and put the 512 in socket 1 (yes its pc3200 also) it is still showing my clocked speed at 2.345 which is the same as before with all 3 chips in. Now my question is this? Should I put the other 2 chips back in, or just one? I read that having 3 chips in a board can actually make it slower somehow because they run at a faster time or something? My computer timing right now is 2.5-3-3-7

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Ok just took out the two 256 chips and put the 512 in socket 1 (yes its pc3200 also) it is still showing my clocked speed at 2.345 which is the same as before with all 3 chips in. Now my question is this? Should I put the other 2 chips back in, or just one? I read that having 3 chips in a board can actually make it slower somehow because they run at a faster time or something? My computer timing right now is 2.5-3-3-7

Thanks again

Now you got me confused, LOL. Now you are saying it is running 2.345, i thought you were running 2.1Ghz and it dropped down to 1.7Ghz?? as you stated in a previous post. --->

Quote:

I LOST mhz....went from 2.16 to 1.7.....very weird and that is when I decided to start checking out overclocking and found this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Now you got me confused, LOL. Now you are saying it is running 2.345, i thought you were running 2.1Ghz and it dropped down to 1.7Ghz?? as you stated in a previous post. --->

Sorry that was kind of confusing, after installing the 512 chip I checked the mhz and it dropped to 1.7 and thats when I decided to overclock it. That is when I was able to overclock to 2.345. So I just put all my settings back to original with no OC and with only the 512 chip in it....gues what....its at the 2.1ghz that the chip is preset to. So ya im totally lost here

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Sorry that was kind of confusing, after installing the 512 chip I checked the mhz and it dropped to 1.7 and thats when I decided to overclock it. That is when I was able to overclock to 2.345. So I just put all my settings back to original with no OC and with only the 512 chip in it....gues what....its at the 2.1ghz that the chip is preset to. So ya im totally lost here

Ok that makes a little more sense. Thats wierd, I don't see why adding RAM makes your CPU underclock. Must be a AMD thing, LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Ok that makes a little more sense. Thats wierd, I don't see why adding RAM makes your CPU underclock. Must be a AMD thing, LOL.

Ya, totally weird, Iv decided to try one stick of 512 and one of the 256....right now only overclocking to 2.28 and running prime95 tonight to make sure its stable....thanks for the help

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Ya, totally weird, Iv decided to try one stick of 512 and one of the 256....right now only overclocking to 2.28 and running prime95 tonight to make sure its stable....thanks for the help

According to the manuel: ......To enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when installing additional DIMMs. Install the DIMMs in any of the following sequence: Sockets 1 & 3 or Sockets 2 & 3 or Sockets 1, 2 & 3. DIMMs with more than 8 devices on each side of the module are not supported.

I think in order for it to run in dual channel with 3 DIMMs, they all have to be the size and speed. 256, 256, and 256 or 512, 512, and 512. It will run better with the 2-256 in slots 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 than with 1-512 because of the dual channel feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts