Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new computer about a month ago and I am not sure whether to sell my A8N deluxe and splash out on a DFI NF4 DR Expert. My only problems with the A8N have been linked with the memory (2x1GB of Corsair XMS DDR 500).

1)The A8N only supports 1T upto 240MHz
2)There aren't many memory dividers to choose from on the A8N
3)My memory doesnt seem to overclock very well on the A8N (max is around 258MHz with 3-4-4-8, whereas there are a few reviews which say that this RAM will OC to 290MHz)

Is it worth making the switch to DFI? Maybe the RAM is the problem, or maybe I am being too picky. What should I do???

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tested out my 2 sticks of RAM individually and 1 can reach 278MHz, the other can only reach 265MHz. I tried putting the weaker sticker closer to the CPU but that still didnt allow me to clear 258MHz with both the sticks in dual channel. What is causing this problem, is it the RAM or the mobo???

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have had both A8N SLi Deluxe and the LANParty UT SLI-DR Expert.

The A8N is an easy overclock but one can not achieve the performance of the Lanparty with it. The lanparty takes much longer and more research to create a higher stable system but that's the fun of it

This is what I have found at any rate.

Getting 2.9 out of that San Diego is not a bad o/c by any means. Try a divider to see if it is the ram that is holding you back. If you divide the dram down and you still can not reach any higher, you have your answer.

Edit: Composition

R

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment I am quite happy with my CPU OC, its just the RAM which is annoying me. At this very minute I have my RAM running at 238MHz with 3-4-3-6 (1T) timings, however I think a higher bandwidth would be more beneficial. I know that my 2 sticks of RAM can do 278MHz and 265Mhz respectively, so why wont it let me go higher than 258MHz when the 2 sticks are run together in dual channel????

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Hey, I just upgraded from that Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board to the DFI expert board because of the very things you were complaining about. I was stuck at 2.6 w/ my 3200+ and I wasn't sure if it was due to my mobo or my RAM. (I'm thinking mobo bc my RAM would do over 300Mhz but I couldn't get it stable w/ a lower cpu multi and higher htt)

my thoughts so far.... overclocking the Asus board was easy... not as much performance or options, but easy.

overclocking w/ the dfi board... is confusing. there are so many more options that I just literally feel lost whenever I enter the bios. I actually haven't OC'd my 148 yet as I haven't had time to figure everything out in the Bios and even at stock speeds my expert/148 setup at stock speeds seems about on par performance wise as my asus/3200+ @ 2.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.