Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the aa8 and while I was reading reviews of the Asus p5gd2 deluxe, another great motherboard with ddr2, and i was surprised to read on Asus' own website that the 915p, 915g, and 925x are capable of handling memory faster than the listed 400/533MHz. I was wondering whether this was ever found to be true with the ABIT DuraMax. And if so, has an actual limit been reached as the highest speed of memory that these "400/533Mhz" DIMMs can handle?

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobes2thehole
I own the aa8 and while I was reading reviews of the Asus p5gd2 deluxe, another great motherboard with ddr2, and i was surprised to read on Asus' own website that the 915p, 915g, and 925x are capable of handling memory faster than the listed 400/533MHz. I was wondering whether this was ever found to be true with the ABIT DuraMax. And if so, has an actual limit been reached as the highest speed of memory that these "400/533Mhz" DIMMs can handle?
it will just downclock to 533mhz. but faster ram = more room for overclocking.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Theoretically, they can handle DDR2-1000000000. RAM, however, will only run at the speed of the bus. These motherboards offer dividers that will allow for RAM speeds of DDR2-533 at stock speeds. Overclocking the system bus is what allows you to achieve (or attempt to achieve) the rated speeds of the RAM.

For instance, you have a 3.2E, which runs on a 200 mhz system bus, and DDR2-566. The motherboard offers a 3:4 CPU:RAM divider, which at stock speeds, will run the CPU on a 200 mhz bus and the RAM on a 266 mhz bus. You would need to overclock the system bus to ~212 in order to run the RAM at its rated speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts