Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just bought an Abit AS8 Motherboard. I went to install it and the AGP slot doesn't quite line up with the case opening. Does anyone else have this problem? I have read at other places that some have this problem while others do not. I have the V1.0 model, I wonder if Abit fixed this in later revisions. I emailed Abit and I will keep everybody posted.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
You are not the only one to have this problem. I don't own an AS8, but I have read several reviews, and they all had the same situation. You will probably have to mod your case a little bit. I was seriously considering buying an AS8 until I read about that. I am going with the DFI LanParty 875P-T. I don't remember exactly, but if memory serves me, I do believe Abit put out a second revision of that board that fixes the problem, but I am not positive on that one.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

You are not the only one to have this problem. I don't own an AS8, but I have read several reviews, and they all had the same situation. You will probably have to mod your case a little bit. I was seriously considering buying an AS8 until I read about that. I am going with the DFI LanParty 875P-T. I don't remember exactly, but if memory serves me, I do believe Abit put out a second revision of that board that fixes the problem, but I am not positive on that one.

I was wondering the same thing. I emailed Abit and will keep everyone updated. Until further notice, steer clear of this board. I cut away one of the slot separators because the slot lines up directly on it. The PCI slots still line up properly.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Other than that, how do you like that board? Have you oc'ed yet?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Other than that, how do you like that board? Have you oc'ed yet?

But of course, I overclocked it after I set up the OS and did a 24hour burn in. So far I got a perfect 200Mhz OC with stock cooling. I will push it further once I decide on a new case. I was looking at the ThermalTake Tsunami (VA2000SWA), but I want to make sure that my Audigy front panel drive will fit behind the case door. Anyone have any input? I am also looking at the ThermalTake Big Water cooling Kit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, here is the deal with the AS8. I called Abit and they said that I was the first person they heard of not having the AGP slot line up. The tech kept giving me a canned answer that "We based this board on the ATX standard and have used multiple cases to test it." I asked if the Antec Super Lanboy was not meeting the ATX standard. He kept repeating the same line. He then offered to RMA the board, but said it would be no different since there is no revision. He also said that they would not be looking into the issue since I am the only person having this problem. How messed up is that? I used this exact same case for my IC7-G max2 motherboard and it fit perfectly and before that my Soyo Dargon Plus. Same story, lined up perfectly. I think that I am going to return this board and go with the DFI 875P-T. Abit has permenantly lost a customer.

Steer clear of the Abit AS8.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
that sounds like crap...i gotta say that abit tech support blows. i had a problem installing a 6800gt in my ic7-g and they gave me some chinese guy that was a a** that repeated "dis iz bad compatbility prolem, i vill repoit dis to ow enginear. Cawl yo vidiocawd manufactuwa(which i said i did)" this was halarious, but didnt solve my problem...so im not likin them anymore right now either

1 - 10 of 10 Posts