Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelirrojo

Will the ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI ATX be compatible with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ? my friend says no, but I want to be sure.

It'll work fine, but I have to ask, what about that motherboard interests you? IMO, it's overpriced and underdelivers. Here's a review of the nonSLI and you can see that it wasn't too hot..

http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465&p=6

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno man :p I don't really know much about computers personally and there's just so much conflicting info being thrown at me heh. Some people say it's awesome, some people say it sucks.... all I know is that is has a 2gb frontal bus (I don't know what that is really, but I hear it's good), and all the newegg reviews said it was good and all. What motherboard would you suggest and why?

I'm going to build the computer I have listed as my specs soon, so any recommendations you could make as to what I should change, what won't work, etc, would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Pete.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

I dunno man :p I don't really know much about computers personally and there's just so much conflicting info being thrown at me heh. Some people say it's awesome, some people say it sucks.... all I know is that is has a 2gb frontal bus (I don't know what that is really, but I hear it's good), and all the newegg reviews said it was good and all. What motherboard would you suggest and why?

I'm going to build the computer I have listed as my specs soon, so any recommendations you could make as to what I should change, what won't work, etc, would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Pete.

Before I suggest a motherboard, do you see yourself ever actually using SLI before you upgrade again? I like the rest of your parts, except I'd swap out that OCZ with this Seasonic 600W for about the same price. Btw, as far as the 2 GB HyperTransport bus, every socket 939 will have that same speed, so it's nothing special. You can get a lot better motherboard for the same money as what the Abit is.

http://xoxide.com/seasonic-s12-600w-psu.html

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well to be honest, I don't really know what SLI means :p so no, I probably won't use it.

Also, why change the power supply? is it going to be as reliable and etc as my 520W one?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Well to be honest, I don't really know what SLI means :p so no, I probably won't use it.

Also, why change the power supply? is it going to be as reliable and etc as my 520W one?

There's no need to change your PSU. The 520W Powerstream is still one of the best psus around and will be fine for your setup

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Why? Because IMO the Seasonic 600W is the second best power supply at any price and the best psu under $200. I challenge you to find a single negative review on it or one where it didn't finish at/near the top. On the other hand, I can find several where the ToPower (who makes the psus for OCZ) that show them failing. Although I haven't seen any 520 failures, I've seen the 600 version at least twice. If you can upgrade to the Seasonic without spending more money, then why not? Btw, SLI is just Nvidia's setup for using 2 video cards at the same time. I don't feel it's a worthwhile investment and probably won't be until revision 2 somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, thanks for the info. I learn something new every time I come here =D I don't really see myself needing to use the SLI for a long time then, and by the time it'll be necessary for me I'll probably need to upgrade the motherboard anyways to get one that supports ddr2 ram...

About the power supply, one guy on newegg says his blew up after 1 day of use but that's probably just a fluke and I would assume it would be covered by the warranty. It did get a 4/5 average rating by 187 voters, so you're probably right. It's only like 20 bucks more so I guess I might as well switch to it. Will my cooling still be sufficient or will I need to buy something better to accomodate the increase in power?

Also, what motherboards would you recommend? I want to go with the AMD x2 4200+ processor, and it should be able to support 4 gigs of RAM (I'm only gonna get 2 gigs of RAM for now, I feel like 4 would be overkill right now. However once DDR2 is developed more I think the 4 gigs will help me keep up until I need to make the switch).

I'm going to use this computer primarily for games, just fyi.

Thanks for the help,
-Pete.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
well if you want to get an SLI board then get either an Asus or a DFI board. The DFI will OC better than the Asus, but asus boards are easier to OC and setup.
I just switched from an Asus boad to a DFI expert earlier this week.. and I feel lost in the bios w/ all the options that asus never evendreamed to put in there!

if you don't want to get an sli board then look for a good nf4 ultra board. Again look at asus and dfi boards.

and yeah, I'm going to second that the seasonic s12-600 is a great psu... but if you already have the ocz there is no need to buy a new one.

you'll want to get a sound card instead of using the onboard sound... onboard is never as good as a real sound card and it uses system resources. look at an audigy 2zs or the x-fi. (x-fi's are better)

g.skill RAM looks good.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about the DFI LanParty UT RDX200? looks good on newegg... 169 bucks, supports athlon x2, I don't really know what to look for so will this be a good choice given the components I have picked out?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

How about the DFI LanParty UT RDX200? looks good on newegg... 169 bucks, supports athlon x2, I don't really know what to look for so will this be a good choice given the components I have picked out?

That's a Crossfire board. No point spending money on this unless you're planning on getting 2 ATI cards in the future.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

I honestly don't see the point in spending more than what the MSI Neo4-F costs if you're not going to use SLI. It's $80 bucks on Newegg and will overclock with the best of the boards out there and the Neo4 series have won numerous gold and editor's choice awards. I have no desire to buy a new board and have nothing but positive things to say about it. You can use the extra $80 bucks you save to upgrade something else in your system. Btw, as far as the comments on Newegg about the Seasonic, I wouldn't put much merit into any of those "reviews". A large portion of the people on there have a very poor understanding of computers and there's also no way to verify that they've ever even used the product. Those reviews are nothing more than a public bulletin board full of misinformation. If you would like a 3rd party review, google yourself a professional review.....not some pimple faced kid bashing the Seasonic because he bought a different power supply and wants the world to follow suit.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The MSI looks pretty nice but under supported CPU's it only has Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron.... I'm going for a dual core. Will it still work or do I need one that supports the X2's?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

The MSI looks pretty nice but under supported CPU's it only has Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron.... I'm going for a dual core. Will it still work or do I need one that supports the X2's?

They just don't update the listing to say that it's supported. It'll work just fine. Btw, if you're still unsure about the Seasonic, here's one of the toughest reviews you'll ever find. They ran the psus HARD and very few even survived. The Seasonic won along with the smaller Fortron.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/stress_test/

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice man, thanks. One more thing though, I just watched that crytek video in the video games section and those graphics are just ridiculous. I feel like I might need SLI at some point if that's the next generation? Or maybe I'll just get a non-SLI board now, and then just upgrade for DDR2 Ram and SLI in like 2 years or so. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Nice man, thanks. One more thing though, I just watched that crytek video in the video games section and those graphics are just ridiculous. I feel like I might need SLI at some point if that's the next generation? Or maybe I'll just get a non-SLI board now, and then just upgrade for DDR2 Ram and SLI in like 2 years or so. What do you think?

I'm not a fan of SLI or Crossfire. The technology simply isn't up to speed to make it worthwhile yet. It can act buggy and doesn't work in all games. In my opinion, you're better off saving that money and when it's time to upgrade again, sell your old card and buy 1 of the faster cards instead of 2 older ones. I look at it like this, why dump more money into old technology? That is what you're doing when you buy another older card to match what you have in SLI or Crossfire. Look around at some benchmarks and you'll see why I'm not impressed. By the time SLI and Crossfire are mainstream, you'll be on a whole new system wanting SLI2 or Crossfire2.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that looks like a pretty sweet monitor, expensive though. I definately want a good monitor though... don't want to spend all this money on a computer and then get a crappy monitor cause that's what you need to see all the other stuff in action... Thanks for the input

- Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts