Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I built my computer quite a bit of time ago... have had a couple of issues over the years, but have always been able to get everything working in the end. A couple of times in the past year, there have been a couple of power surges/outages in my apartment... and every time my computer stopped working. The past couple of times I cleared the bios... and I think I had to flash them once... but then everything was back to normal...

I am having a bit more trouble this time and was hoping someone could help me out. I am getting a post code 8.7. off my mobo then it shuts off after a 5-10 seconds... which I know means "Check CPU Core Voltage" and that my CPU is most likely not getting enough juice... If i had recently rewired something or installed a new component, I would try unplugging it and seeing if that would fix the problem, but my computer has been working fine in the state it is in the now up until recently.

I have read about other peoples problems with post code 8.7.... but most of theirs were caused because they hadn't plugged in the additional 4 pin connected into their MOBO... I have mine plugged in...

My video card takes up quite a bit of power... so I actually tried unplugging it one time and seeing if I would get 8.7. again... I didn't... but as you might have guessed... my computer was still unable to startup (with no video card and all) and shut down bout 15 seconds after I pressed the power button...

Anyways... if anyone could help me out... that would be awesome... let me know if you need any more details or anything like that...

Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by almighty15
View Post

Best thing to do is test your PSU as the power outages could of damaged it and now its not giving out enough power anymore.

Thank you for your suggestion almighty15

I wish I had something to test my PSU with though... unfortunately I don't... so I guess the only way to test if there is something wrong with it is to just go and buy a new one... I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to... but if that's what it comes down to... I don't really have a choice...

Anyone have any other thoughts before I go and buy a new PSU???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts