Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lapped TRUE that I need to purchase a fan for. I've read that a 38mm thick fan is optimal. I was looking at the Ultra Kaze fan but I read it doesn't undervolt well and I don't plan on running one at full speed because I don't like noise.

Could I just purchase a lower RPM/CFM Ultra Kaze to get the same results as an undervolted 3000rpm one to negate the use of a fan controller?

Do I even need a 38mm versus say an undervolted standard high speed yate loon if I wouldn't run the 38mm full tilt anyway? (Read - Would there be any static pressure benefit from a non 3000rpm 38mm)

I'm trying to go about things in the most economical way. That is why I'm not considering the other "good" $20+ 120x38 fans and am considering yate loons.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Yeah, I'm not liking my 3kRPM Ultra Kaze fan. It's way too loud.

Thankfully my TRUE keeps my temps perfectly fine without a fan, and the only time I need to turn it on is when I render x264 footage (the only program I have that loads all 4 cores).

·
Registered
668 Posts
well anything under 38mm won't push the air through enough and you would want to go with a push pull.......I myself have a single panaflow 38mm running full speed and I only hear it when it first starts spinning.....my case fans make it disappear right after.

38mm will always have the increase in static pressure, just turning it down will decrease the amount of airflow that's all....

btw I have the 114cfm panaflow, not the 86cfm.......the 46db rating must be in a quiet room all by itself because it really isn't as loud as I thought it would be.......

I also used a washer mod, AND a rubber grommet mod on the mounting bracket. I also gutted a ****ty 120mm fan and used it as a shroud, and I covered the sides with electrical tape to force the air all the way through.

I recommend seriously considering a single 38mm, even the one I have since it is easily drowned out by my case fans. I do not know the exact layout of you 590 so it is up to you......

you will always hear complaints of kaze noise....its the type of bearings they use, literally that's all it is....which just helps them cut corners on cost

·
FS19 Addict
5,392 Posts
The TRUE is a great cooler and when lapped it shouldn't matter which fans you use IMO. I say go with what ever you think is good and in your budget. I have used many 25mm and a 38mm Silverstone fan not much of a diff. Maybe 1-2c average and that could change with diff TIM applications or the lapping or a washer mod. I say get a good push/pull set up and you will be fine 25mm or 38mm thickness.

I have done the tape mod but no others but think I will try them you got a link to the other ones? Seen how to do the washer mod already.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Arter View Post
The TRUE is a great cooler and when lapped it shouldn't matter which fans you use IMO. I say go with what ever you think is good and in your budget. I have used many 25mm and a 38mm Silverstone fan not much of a diff. Maybe 1-2c average and that could change with diff TIM applications or the lapping or a washer mod. I say get a good push/pull set up and you will be fine 25mm or 38mm thickness.

I have done the tape mod but no others but think I will try them you got a link to the other ones? Seen how to do the washer mod already.
the rubber grommet mod is just getting small grommets that fit the screw size and you place them between the back plate and the mobo......I did that and the washer mod.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
I know exactly where your standing.

Get a Slipstream 1900rpm or lower, and gut a second 25mm-thick fan to use as a shroud. Great combination. It replaced my Ultra Kaze 3000 about a month ago. No doubt the Kaze was better at max, but at 24/7 usage, kept at the same voltage, the Slipstream pushes more air, and practically no noise.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
I know exactly where your standing.

Get a Slipstream 1900rpm or lower, and gut a second 25mm-thick fan to use as a shroud. Great combination. It replaced my Ultra Kaze 3000 about a month ago. No doubt the Kaze was better at max, but at 24/7 usage, kept at the same voltage, the Slipstream pushes more air, and practically no noise.
No no no. Slipstreams are not good as they have next to no static pressure.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=193126

Quote:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=193647

Quote:

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
No no no. Slipstreams are not good as they have next to no static pressure.
I thought so too, but my TRUE isn't complaining. While at 12V it has less pressure, at the same dba level it pushes more air than the Kaze, enough to get better undervolted temps. Again, that's only for people like me who care about that perfect balance between sound and performance. Were it just for gaming and benching I'd take the 3000 (although temps were never over 45 making it kind of a non-issue) Undervolted the Kaze 3000 also made a clicking noise, possibly only audible it reasonably quiet rigs. (The 2000s at the same speed did not click though)

That said, a higher-quality 38mm-thick fan may bring me back to them. I'm trying to get an 1011 without breaking my bank.

(personal) Also, a 38mm fan with a shroud would not let me use my heatpiped ramsinks, while a 25mm-thick fan with a 25mm shoud does.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

I thought so too, but my TRUE isn't complaining. While at 12V it has less pressure, at the same dba level it pushes more air than the Kaze, enough to get better undervolted temps. Again, that's only for people like me who care about that perfect balance between sound and performance. Undervolted the Kaze 3000 also made a clicking noise, possibly only audible it reasonably quiet rigs. (The 2000s at the same speed did not click though)
Well you're comparing to mediocre fans with each other so that's why. My San Ace undervolted is awesome (shown in the test too), still has tons of airflow and is very quiet.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Well you're comparing to mediocre fans with each other so that's why. My San Ace undervolted is awesome (shown in the test too), still has tons of airflow and is very quiet.
haha, read this AFTER my edit

By the way, are you using a shroud or taped sides? The shroud helped a lot to lower noise (it is now the most silent of all the 8 1900rpm Slipstreams). I'm not sure about the taped sides, to lazy to take them off for a comparison.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

haha, read this AFTER my edit

By the way, are you using a shroud or taped sides? The shroud helped a lot to lower noise (it is now the most silent of all the 8 1900rpm Slipstreams). I'm not sure about the taped sides, to lazy to take them off for a comparison.
I don't use a shroud on my 1011, no need for it. And it seems your rig is all Slipstreams, mines going to be quite the opposite... all San Aces (just need to pin these H401's).

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

I don't use a shroud on my 1011, no need for it. And it seems your rig is all Slipstreams, mines going to be quite the opposite... all San Aces (just need to pin these H401's).
The Slipstreams I would completely recommend over the San Aces as case fans. For case fans it pretty much comes down to cfm/dba ratio, which in turn is favoured by multiple small blades versus fewer bigger blades. Subjectively, the 1900rpm Slipstreams make the same amount of noise as the 2000rpm Kazes, even though it's rated higher. All you hear is the massive amount of air pushed.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

The Slipstreams I would completely recommend over the San Aces as case fans. For case fans it pretty much comes down to cfm/dba ratio, which in turn is favoured by multiple small blades versus fewer bigger blades.
I have Slipstreams, the San Aces are a lot better at pulling air through filters. My Slipstreams, well they struggle and two crapped out from it.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

I have Slipstreams, the San Aces are a lot better at pulling air through filters. My Slipstreams, well they struggle and two crapped out from it.
Ah....... filters. Stick with the San Aces lol.

Funny how fans behave so differently and can be either very good or very bad depending on the scenario.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the consensus is even an undervolted/lower speed 38mm is going to perform better than a 25mm on the TRUE? And even a low speed Ultra Kaze is going to make noises?

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelextrm02 View Post
So the consensus is even an undervolted/lower speed 38mm is going to perform better than a 25mm on the TRUE? And even a low speed Ultra Kaze is going to make noises?
It comes down to what you need.please dont sing the song

What will this fan be used for all the time?
Do you need extra power for benching?
Do you value silence above all?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

It comes down to what you need.please dont sing the song

What will this fan be used for all the time?
Do you need extra power for benching?
Do you value silence above all?
I just want a good balance between sound and performance. I place high value on lower noise but I want some good headroom as well. I'm not planning on doing any suicide runs on my chip or anything like that, just a good solid overclock once I find my chips practical limits. The PC was built primarily for gaming, playing with, and doing homework on.

Hope that helps. :\\

1 - 20 of 33 Posts