Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will those Stanford guys increase the limit on the GPU folding cards even more? Since right now 8 series is like the lowest that can fold.

Any expected date?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
im folding on my 8600gt. even though its not working at the moment. pulls 1600ppd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
it is an 8 series. 8600gt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for not making the question better. I am asking, are they going to make it even higher in the near future? Since I am planning to make a folding build with a P5N32-SLI PREMIUM, I was going to buy like 3 9 series, not sure when but for next year so it'll be around half a year from now. It'd be bad if I bought it and they make folding not going to work for them.


Like the 7 series and 6 series... Which I have one of each. rawr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GeforceGTS
View Post

I was referring to the OP's question, not you


aww come on. it was just a little fun

and to the OP. i don't think they will raise it too much higher. if at all. i mean you have 9 series pulling 6K+ ppd.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,938 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GeforceGTS
View Post

I thought only the 8 series and up could fold because they were the only cards that support cuda?

QFT

The card must support Cuda so probably no. Sorry. But that is a nice CPU, folding on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
There is very little reason for them to increase the folding down to say the 7 series because the reason the 8 series does it so well is because of the Cuda software. The 8 Series is the earliest supporters of that. Here is a quote from nvidia's site:

"NVIDIA’s CUDA technology is available in GeForce® 8800 graphics products and future NVIDIA Quadro® Professional Graphics solutions based on 8-series GPUs."

There must be something about the architecture that allows the cuda software to utilize the cores when a demanding task is available. Anything else, nvidia's site has some pretty good information.

Cuda Information
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,954 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3
View Post

Sorry for not making the question better. I am asking, are they going to make it even higher in the near future? Since I am planning to make a folding build with a P5N32-SLI PREMIUM, I was going to buy like 3 9 series, not sure when but for next year so it'll be around half a year from now. It'd be bad if I bought it and they make folding not going to work for them.


Like the 7 series and 6 series... Which I have one of each. rawr


I highly doubt it, unless they make some major changes to the GPU client and next gen GPU's the current cards that can fold will so for a very long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, seems like my question skills suck.

So within like a few years, 8 series + will still work on folding?

Quote:


Originally Posted by GeforceGTS
View Post

I highly doubt it, unless they make some major changes to the GPU client and next gen GPU's the current cards that can fold will so for a very long time.

This was the answer I was looking for. But I just want to hear more people saying it. Since buying these graphic cards I have to spend a lot of money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3
View Post

Alright, seems like my question skills suck.

So within like a few years, 8 series + will still work on folding?

This was the answer I was looking for. But I just want to hear more people saying it. Since buying these graphic cards I have to spend a lot of money.


One would think the 8xxx will be supported for a long time due to the CUDA aspect.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,487 Posts
Supported, probably, but how well they will fold in the future is unsure.
A year ago, the 8800GS/9600GSO were pulling 6500+ PPD, now (unless vmodded) your lucky to get 4000 ppd due to the new workunits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Supported, probably, but how well they will fold in the future is unsure.
A year ago, the 8800GS/9600GSO were pulling 6500+ PPD, now (unless vmodded) your lucky to get 4000 ppd due to the new workunits.
now I am completely noob at folding and have just gotten into it...but if thats the case, isn't that working backwards?

don't fix it if it isn't broken.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,487 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Berger
View Post

now I am completely noob at folding and have just gotten into it...but if thats the case, isn't that working backwards?

don't fix it if it isn't broken.

The newer work units require more procesing power. Older/slower cards just don't have the processing power of newer faster cards, so they get fewer points.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top