Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought an OCZ vertex 4 128gb but next month I will have it, I know that Indilinx is new and it is getting better, but will it be what I expect? lots of people speaks bad things about OCZ Vertex, but this time with the new controller will be the same? I mean it has 5 year warranty... If you are a Vertex owner, please tell me your experience, if you are glad with it, or if you have problems.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well first and foremost, you should always have a backup of your important data. Some people need to learn this the hard way, but whether you're using an HDD or SSD, BACK. EVERYTHING. UP.

Now onto the OP: I've owned all three generations of Vertexes and I've never had any issues (no Sandforce firmware problems, etc.). They've performed great over their entire life span, and my original 30 GB Vertex 1 is chugging along just fine with its new owner (same goes for the Vertex 2's I sold several months ago).

I will say though, SSD prices have been plummeting, and you might find other drives that may be cheaper and comparable. I've seen 128 GB M4's go as low as $99, and other 120 GB SSDs made by Samsung and Intel for around $110

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

It's too early to tell if the Vertex 4 will be reliable.
You can't go by previous generations as the controller was different.
Given that it is using a Marvell controller, the only thing that could really go wrong is OCZ using cheap nand memory.
Correct only the FW is Indilinx but we seen how that worked out last time OCZ used them a few years ago

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks to all replies, people who don't have ocz drives tell me that it is not reliable, but people who have it, they tell me that the had never had any problems...

·
Melted Cheese
4,183 Posts
I had a vertex 1 without a single problem and now I have a vertex 3 and agility 3 which have both been perfect. Not a single issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Rep+
Reactions: goto3

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
No problems with My Agility 3 drive so far, had it about 8 months.. I think the problem was mostly the older Sandforce controllers and bad firmware..

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto3 View Post

ok, thanks to all replies, people who don't have ocz drives tell me that it is not reliable, but people who have it, they tell me that the had never had any problems...
OCZ has the highest failure rate in the industry. Intel has the lowest.

That being said, the last report put OCZ at 5% and Intel at less than 1%.

I have a feeling that the Vertex 4 is going to be their most reliable drive to date.

·
Melted Cheese
4,183 Posts
I just put an Agility 3 240GB in my buddy's PC with the 2.22 firmware flashed.
biggrin.gif

It lasted for a day and then died.
mad.gif

That being said mine is still running perfectly.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

OCZ has the highest failure rate in the industry. Intel has the lowest.
That being said, the last report put OCZ at 5% and Intel at less than 1%.
I have a feeling that the Vertex 4 is going to be their most reliable drive to date.
why are you still quoting this stupid study? it was done by the french and is aobut a year old and it was t the height of the sandforce debacle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpcman12 View Post

why are you still quoting this stupid study? it was done by the french and is aobut a year old and it was t the height of the sandforce debacle.
there are people that hates OCZ for no reason

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto3 View Post

there are people that hates OCZ for no reason
Here is the study quoted above:

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29329-ssd-failure-rates-compared-to-hard-drives/

ssds:
- Intel 0.59%
- Corsair 2.17%
- Crucial 2.25%
- Kingston 2.39%
- OCZ 2.93%

now compare it to:
hdds: -
5.76% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B
- 5.20% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C
- 3.68% Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
- 3.37%: Samsung SpinPoint F1
etc...

Also we have no idea what type of #'s we're looking at. The name of the retailer is not included also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Here is the study quoted above:
http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29329-ssd-failure-rates-compared-to-hard-drives/
ssds:
- Intel 0.59%
- Corsair 2.17%
- Crucial 2.25%
- Kingston 2.39%
- OCZ 2.93%
now compare it to:
hdds: -
5.76% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B
- 5.20% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C
- 3.68% Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
- 3.37%: Samsung SpinPoint F1
etc...
Also we have no idea what type of #'s we're looking at. The name of the retailer is not included also.
true story

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:

And why are you telling outright lies to the OCN community? Wait, it's either because you work for OCZ or are their biggest fanboy.

The study was done before the 3 series was released.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-3.html

The study is quoted simply because we have no other reliable source of data. Asking OCZ for their failure rate and expecting a true response would be silly.

In fairness to all involved, this is a return rate for ssd. It's not a confirmation of failure. However, the same rules apply to all involved.

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:

fair enough, however vertex 2 was plagued by SF bugs also. OCZ was the first to launch with SF. I would expect higher return rates just because of that fact and also they are the largest seller of ssds in the world.
We can both agree that Vertex 4 is having a much smoother debut.
That is why I said earlier that I have a feeling the Vertex 4 will be their most reliable drive ever launched.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts