Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about about to pull the trigger on the last few items I need to buy for my new PC so there's no regrets, I'm asking you guys for advice on what I can do better with what I have left to get

Ready To Acquire
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
Total: $260 (Amazon prices)
Budget Room: $370

Rest Of My Build (Acquired)
GPU: MSI N760GTX 2GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 450w 80+ Gold (Modular)
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3
CASE: NZXT Tempest 210
COOLER: H60 w/ GT AP-14

Should I just pull the trigger on this or can I do better with the budget I have in place? Also down the line if I wanted to add another hard drive will my PSU be able to handle it?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvdBrawler View Post

I'm about about to pull the trigger on the last few items I need to buy for my new PC so there's no regrets, I'm asking you guys for advice on what I can do better with what I have left to get

Ready To Acquire

GPU: MSI N760GTX 1GB

Should I just pull the trigger on this or can I do better with the budget I have in place? Also down the line if I wanted to add another hard drive will my PSU be able to handle it?
HDD´s use so little power you could throw a buch of them in there and still have room left on the PSU

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That awesome, thanks. I don't know much on power usage so I was worried about adding more storage or things like that down the line.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Think its less then 15 watts for a HDD if its even that much

• Rep+
Reactions: BlvdBrawler

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Think its less then 15 watts for a HDD if its even that much
Nice to know.
thumb.gif

I take it no response to my last three items mean I'm solid?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownDragon View Post

Personaly I would go with the khuler 620 or maybe even the 920. The 920 will leave you a little more room with cooling if you want to overclock. I have had bad experience with a h55 so this may be why I am bias...
thumb.gif
on the build looking for an ivy chip myself.
Unfortunately, I've already bought the H60. I'll keep that in mind though.

I have a question though, when I set up the H60 is it better to go intake?

·
Registered
964 Posts
You will hear exhaust and intake sides all day long. A lot of it depends how cool you keep your house. I do intake on my wife's build and a fan exhausting right above the intake. On mine I do an exhaust but I run custom cooling. If you do intake make sure you have fan nearby to exhaust the hot air. Also look into the corsair sp 120 quiet edition fans. These fans will probably gain you a few degrees. The H60 should be able to get you around 4.6 ghz I believe before pushing the bounds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownDragon View Post

You will hear exhaust and intake sides all day long. A lot of it depends how cool you keep your house. I do intake on my wife's build and a fan exhausting right above the intake. On mine I do an exhaust but I run custom cooling. If you do intake make sure you have fan nearby to exhaust the hot air. Also look into the corsair sp 120 quiet edition fans. These fans will probably gain you a few degrees. The H60 should be able to get you around 4.6 ghz I believe before pushing the bounds.
Nice but I already bought a Gentle Scythe Typhoon AP-14 because googling around told me those were better than the SP120.

Since it's about to get cold I think I'm gonna do an intake.

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Quote:

Ready To Acquire

GPU: MSI N760GTX 1GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
I would drop the Corsair Vengeance for 8GB of some G.SKILL Sniper Series 2133, it's $74.99 @ Amazon.com

I would also swap the standard 840 pro for a Sandisk Extreme 120GB, it's $95.99 @ Amazon.com and is as fast as an Samsung 840 Pro for the price of their standard drive.

Also, noticed it says your GTX 760 is 1GB, assuming that's a typo correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

I would drop the Corsair Vengeance for 8GB of some G.SKILL Sniper Series 2133, it's $74.99 @ Amazon.com

I would also swap the standard 840 pro for a Sandisk Extreme 120GB, it's $95.99 @ Amazon.com and is as fast as an Samsung 840 Pro for the price of their standard drive.

Also, noticed it says your GTX 760 is 1GB, assuming that's a typo correct?
Woops yeah, that 1gb was an accident.

I'll change the SSD but that RAM... I'm not sure about it. Is it compatible with my motherboard?

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Quote:

Woops yeah, that 1gb was an accident.

I'll change the SSD but that RAM... I'm not sure about it. Is it compatible with my motherboard?
yes it is compatible ivy supports up to 2800MHz frequency memory, it just officially supports 1600MHz but thats how Intel does its spec sheets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts