Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my same HDD on woot a few days ago for $50 and i thought... well why not i could use another one. So i bought it and it's on the way.

Now i'm trying to decide what I want to do with it...

Should I raid it in raid 0? Or should I just set it up as a backup hdd so I don't have to reformat?

Or maybe I Should do something else?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
go ahead and set up raid, though you'll have to reformat everything... I'd prefer just to keep one drive in my computer as a backup drive...

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Raid 0 is pretty sweet. It should be friggen awsome with those drives. I've been watching the price on one of those for a while. 32mb of goodness

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kind of going towards raid 0 right now, but I need to backup my stuff and idk if I have the space atm.... since my 500gb external is like almost full already and I have upwards of 200gb of stuff downloaded.

Anyone hear of norton ghost?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well. I wouldn't be doing it with raid... I would be doing it so that I could take my files that I currently have away and then put it back on once I have raid. But i may have found an alternative. I have a 500gb hdd also upstairs in someone else's computer I built for them, they don't use it much so I'll just share the drive and backup my stuff on there over the network and also backup some other stuff on my external. But I'm going to have to pick and choose because I don't have nearly enough space for all the stuff I have on this HDD. Way more then the 200gb i thought...

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realised something....

If I set up raid 0... and then want to update my bios or change it so I can have better control over my ram won't that mess with the raid configuration?

·
15,777 Posts
dunno about going raid with an on-board controller but I'd rather use one as a partitioned OS drive and one as a pure storage drive.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well then I wouldn't bother reformatting. But most people besides you say raid 0 ftw. And after reading up on it, it sounds fairly easy and sounds like I could get some sweet speed out of my drivers. Besides I could use a good reformat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts