Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Went out and picked up a Threadripper 1950x and an msi x399 gaming pro carbon a/c. Let’s hope I increase my fps
Was considering that very board for Heatripper Threadkiller. Got talked out of it by everyone on here who had experience with it. Bought the X399 Taichi instead on their recommendation. Very happy with that decision.

If I was you, I would seriously consider switching. If you keep the Carbon, I'll at least wish you good luck.

·
Work Hard Play Hard!
84 Posts
Hahaha, what are you going to increase FPS in?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha, what are you going to increase FPS in?

I got it mainly to replace my asus chrosshair vi hero. Something was dying in it that was causing the sound card to put a serious buzz noise through my speakers. Talked to asus and they said it needed to be Rma but I can’t be down on my main rig for 4 weeks turn around rime for a repair or replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was considering that very board for Heatripper Threadkiller. Got talked out of it by everyone on here who had experience with it. Bought the X399 Taichi instead on their recommendation. Very happy with that decision.

If I was you, I would seriously consider switching. If you keep the Carbon, I'll at least wish you good luck.

Why were you talked out of the board? What reasons did you not try it. I haven’t opened the box up yet so it’s not to late to switch out the motherboard for something else but I need reasons.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why were you talked out of the board? What reasons did you not try it. I haven’t opened the box up yet so it’s not to late to switch out the motherboard for something else but I need reasons.

Probably same as most MSI boards. Exaggerating the power delivery or vrms running hot, they have a pretty bad track record on this front.
When you said you'd hoped to gain FPS you weren't talking about in games right? Because that probably won't happen unless your current CPU is also made for heavily multithreaded tasks. For FPS you'd want 4 to 8 cores, high IPC and high clockspeed, AMD and Intel have much cheaper options that would do much better in games.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I think you will be seeing the same fps. I had a 1800x, infact without switching to game mode your looking at less fps albeit very marginal in my experience. IF you want to increase your fps your on the wrong platform. TR is a multi purpose chip much like i9. If you want the optimal gaming setup look elsewhere. Such as the already leaked z390 or the current z370. Save a lot of money for better purposed tool. Also, don't buy the msi carbon get the taichi.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

I had the MSI board for two weeks before I went for an RMA. Boot training was terrible - overclocking was an exercise in constantly resetting the CMOS.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
I think you will be seeing the same fps. I had a 1800x, infact without switching to game mode your looking at less fps albeit very marginal in my experience. IF you want to increase your fps your on the wrong platform. TR is a multi purpose chip much like i9. If you want the optimal gaming setup look elsewhere. Such as the already leaked z390 or the current z370. Save a lot of money for better purposed tool. Also, don't buy the msi carbon get the taichi.
^^ This.

Sorry but if this is just for gaming, I would be looking at an 8700K. The 1950X is an absolute BEAST but only in the right application. It's really more of a content creation, server, workstation chip. Not a gamer.

If you want to stick with AMD then I'd wait until the 2*** launch this month and grab an X470 board.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the MSI board for two weeks before I went for an RMA. Boot training was terrible - overclocking was an exercise in constantly resetting the CMOS.

I will give this board a try. I used msi in the past but never had issues. I’m not overclocking. I needed a new board so I figured try out Threadripper. Once I get my crosshair vi hero sent to asus and back that board will be back in my daily gamer rig. Just trying out Threadripper because I don’t want to be down while my asus is being fixed.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
The main issues were BIOS related. Settings not saving, having to reset the BIOS a lot ... things like that. And even the newest version at the time hadn't fixed them.

But if you're not overclocking and it'll only be temporarily, you may not even run into the issues.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main issues were BIOS related. Settings not saving, having to reset the BIOS a lot ... things like that. And even the newest version at the time hadn't fixed them.

But if you're not overclocking and it'll only be temporarily, you may not even run into the issues.

The msi was dead out of the box. Returned it and got an asus zenith extreme.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Its a bit crazy to get the crap tier MSI mobo for the top end HEDT CPU like the 1950x.

Very happy with the x399 Taichi.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,295 Posts
Went out and picked up a Threadripper 1950x and an msi x399 gaming pro carbon a/c. Let’s hope I increase my fps

If you think quadrupling your thread count is going to magically increase your framerate, you're sorely mistaken. Even I won't say that going to a Ryzen/TR build will net you maximum FPS. If you want the highest frame count, Intel's crazy high clockspeeds matter more.

Just keep in mind that most games won't even START with a TR chip. They don't know how to handle looking at 32 threads. :p

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the zenith. Its a good board but the fan pwm issues will drive you mad lol.

Guess it’s a good thing I run my fans off a fan controller and not the connectors on the motherboard lol. The only fan connector on the mobo I use is the cpu and that’s for the water pump for my liquid cooler for the cpu.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Guess it’s a good thing I run my fans off a fan controller and not the connectors on the motherboard lol. The only fan connector on the mobo I use is the cpu and that’s for the water pump for my liquid cooler for the cpu.

I use an aquaero and the 1 fan im using on the zenith is the one by the case rear. I have to change it for DC as any pwm fan there will randomly go to 100% and get stuck or randomly unstuck, been like this for ages. I got 3 zenith boards on launch and they all did this, and even with multiple beta bios and months later, same story.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use an aquaero and the 1 fan im using on the zenith is the one by the case rear. I have to change it for DC as any pwm fan there will randomly go to 100% and get stuck or randomly unstuck, been like this for ages. I got 3 zenith boards on launch and they all did this, and even with multiple beta bios and months later, same story.

I haven’t looked at the fan settings yet in bios all that closely but I will today. Being it’s just a water pump for my cpu I want it to run at 100%. My idle temps according to hwmonitor are about 35c. Did you have a difficult time getting the screws on the socket to grab threads? I had a hell of a time tightening the 3 screws. I did it in order as it says to but man getting the first one to grab threads was a *****.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I haven’t looked at the fan settings yet in bios all that closely but I will today. Being it’s just a water pump for my cpu I want it to run at 100%. My idle temps according to hwmonitor are about 35c. Did you have a difficult time getting the screws on the socket to grab threads? I had a hell of a time tightening the 3 screws. I did it in order as it says to but man getting the first one to grab threads was a *****.

Yea i had that. Had to make sure it partially catch on 2 of them before I could I do all 3.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts