Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 2 diffrent questions here, what is the ABSOLUTE best Firewall on the market, and ABSOLUTE best spyware detect?

Thanks a bunch. =)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I only use windows firewall .But i use Ewido, spybot seach and destroy and microsofts spyware remover .These 3 working together has never given me a problem. I also use the free version of avg anti-virus

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
For firewall I use ZoneAlarm basic. It's a bit annoying to configure, but I've blocked a lot of unwanted guests with it. Also, I use Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta for spyware detect/removal. I like it better than Spybot only because teatimer (Spybot's registry monitor) has a few glitches in it. Combine that with Norton 2005 and I've got a pretty safe system.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
UberNOOB, are you behind a router? Because if you are a firewall will do you absolutely no good at all, I have never used a firewall on any of my computers because I have my whole house on a wireless network behind a router so there is no way any attacker could do anything to any of my computers that a firewall would stop

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

UberNOOB, are you behind a router? Because if you are a firewall will do you absolutely no good at all, I have never used a firewall on any of my computers because I have my whole house on a wireless network behind a router so there is no way any attacker could do anything to any of my computers that a firewall would stop

Seriously? I didn't know that...I had Windows Firewall on for no reason then...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UberN00B

No, im not behind a router.

You might want to consider it. You can pick up a router for almost nothing these days, and I think it's worth the benefit. What Remonster said is correct. I've never used a software firewall on any PC behind my router, and I have never had any issues.

·
Registered
867 Posts
As for the best spyware program, the top are Ad-Aware, SpyBot: Search and Destroy, and Microsoft AntiSpyware (to be called Defender later). All seem to detect things that the others doesn't catch, but if I were to pick one, I'd probably go with SpyBot or Microsoft Antispyware because it's free (Ad-Aware has a free version also but it has reduced features).

Lately I've been using "SpywareBlaster" which claims to eliminate spyware from ever getting installed. I was certainly intrigued that I didn't have to scan for spyware every day, and so far I have had much less spyware to deal with. It doesn't capture all, unfortunately, but it protect you from a lot. It offers cover on Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, and it has a list of restricted sites to block.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

You can try it out as it is completely freeware and even has the feel of regular Windows software.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

This is dangerous misinformation. A hardware firewall only prevents your computers IP from being directly exposed to the internet. It does NOT prevent trojans or other downloaded viruses or malware from transmitting back to their owners. Software firewalls like Zone Alarm not only keep scans and attacks out, but they keep all information in unless you otherwise give permission. So, if you accidentally download some backdoor virus or keylogger, your router isn't going to do anything to protect you. If you have a software firewall that asks your permission anytime something new tries to access the internet, not only will you prevent the info from being transmitted, you'll also be alerted to the fact that something on your computer (that you didn't put there) is trying to gain internet access.
I am behind 2 routers and I have every computer in the house using Zone Alarm Pro.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts