Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i will be getting the 6700 in a few days, i do a lot of video editing and use handbrake, the stock cooler might run too hot for what i will be doing for long periods of time.

Im looking for absolute budget cooler thats going to perform better than the stock cooler, just to keep temps below 70's under load, im not expecting to achieve ground breaking results, and i really dont want to spend $30 tbh especially a HYPER 212 EVO because i wont OC and i dont want a big bulky cooler, (had Noctua NH-D14 with a i5-2500k but sold the whole case to a friend).

Im looking for something small yet efficient, any suggestions?

·
What should be here ?
5,995 Posts
The cooler included with the processor would cool 100% just fine. Gettiing an aftermarket cooler would be a waste if you're not going to be overclocking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

The cooler included with the processor would cool 100% just fine. Gettiing an aftermarket cooler would be a waste if you're not going to be overclocking.
Ive been thinking the same, but reading there are people saying temps goes above 80c in the long run under 100% load and that throttles back the CPU, im a bit skeptic about it though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why not spend 30$, 10% of what you paid for your i7, for a cooler that will keep things cool and much more quiet than the stock cooler? Also the 212 Evo isnt really bulky is it?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,671 Posts
Buying a 212 EVO now is a bit like buying a Motorola brick phone - great in its day....but that day is gone. If you are going to spend ~$30 on a cooler, the Cryorig H7 and be quiet! Pure Rock both perform better and are significantly quieter.

If you want to stay smaller, the Cryorig M9i would be an excellent choice for your use at $26 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-000U-00009

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
What ciarlatano said.
thumb.gif

And pay attention to details, like optimizing case airflow so components get the coolest possible air. If a system is overheating with stock cooler, the usual culprits are dirt or poor airflow. It is not at all uncommon to see a system with air temperature going into components being 10c sometimes even 20c above room ambient. That means CPU, GPU and everything else in the system is running the same 10-20c hotter. "Ways to Better Cooling" linked in my sig has articles on this and other cooling subjects. 1st post is index, click on topics to see them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is, i live in EU and things are more expensive than the US price, for example a $30 cooler will cost like ~ $40 or more.

I also dont know why but for some unknown reason i dislike the 212 Evo (maybe because i think its too overrated) and i dont feel good when i see the base plate (touch pipes), and tbh the Cryorig M9I looks a lot better and the reviews are good as well for a bit cheaper in the US, i also have these options which have positive review for their price.

1. Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu ~ $30

2. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 ~ $15

3. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ~ $40

4. Cryorig M9I ~ $38

5. Zalman CNPS14X Ultra Quiet ~ $44

I have my eyes on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 is LGA 1151 or LGA 1150?

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperonie View Post

The problem is, i live in EU and things are more expensive than the US price, for example a $30 cooler will cost like ~ $40 or more.

I also dont know why but for some unknown reason i dislike the 212 Evo (maybe because i think its too overrated) and i dont feel good when i see the base plate (touch pipes), and tbh the Cryorig M9I looks a lot better and the reviews are good as well for a bit cheaper in the US, i also have these options which have positive review for their price.

1. Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu ~ $30

2. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 ~ $15

3. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ~ $40

4. Cryorig M9I ~ $38

5. Zalman CNPS14X Ultra Quiet ~ $44

I have my eyes on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 is LGA 1151 or LGA 1150?
If you are in EU, why are you quoting prices in dollars instead of euros?

Where in EU are you? What sites do you use?

·
486DX2 66
3,840 Posts
I can understand upgraded cooling even for a stock i7 being used for constant encoding, it will still get very hot on the stock cooler and you'll be stuck listening to it buzz.

How much is the Noctua NH-L9i where you are? It will outperform the stock cooler, be much quieter, and it's low profile since I think you said you don't like bulky coolers (just make sure it doesn't block your ram, it can on matx boards).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

If you are in EU, why are you quoting prices in dollars instead of euros?

Where in EU are you? What sites do you use?
Because we dont use Euro, the site i use to see prices is http://www.prisjakt.nu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

I can understand upgraded cooling even for a stock i7 being used for constant encoding, it will still get very hot on the stock cooler and you'll be stuck listening to it buzz.

How much is the Noctua NH-L9i where you are? It will outperform the stock cooler, be much quieter, and it's low profile since I think you said you don't like bulky coolers (just make sure it doesn't block your ram, it can on matx boards).
Because Noctua always costs more for their low-mid coolers than others in the same price range and the NH-L9i costs about $45, i would choose the Zalman CNPS14X Ultra Quiet ($45) over the NH-L9i.

By non-bulky coolers i meant non-expensive coolers
biggrin.gif
and it seems like there's only a few of them.

What do you guys think about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2? Its really cheap and the base plate is flat finished (which i prefer over direct contact), will it keep max temps in 70's under heavy loud?

·
486DX2 66
3,840 Posts
Quote:

Because we dont use Euro, the site i use to see prices is http://www.prisjakt.nu/
Because Noctua always costs more for their low-mid coolers than others in the same price range and the NH-L9i costs about $45, i would choose the Zalman CNPS14X Ultra Quiet ($45) over the NH-L9i.

By non-bulky coolers i meant non-expensive coolers
biggrin.gif
and it seems like there's only a few of them.

What do you guys think about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2? Its really cheap and the base plate is flat finished (which i prefer over direct contact), will it keep max temps in 70's under heavy loud?
But it's Noctua!
tongue.gif

Freezer 7 pro is pretty good for the low price, I used one on my Phenom II some years back. Temps were better than what I was getting from stock and it was quieter (still fan noise, but not that obnoxious buzzing you get from the small fans). It will serve you well on the stock settings, but no room for OC which should be fine in your case. I would expect it would stay under 70C in everything short of prime95 but no guarantees.. I haven't tried it with a 6700. I googled up a few videos of people showing nice drops with it, but not sure the CPUs were at max stress since they were showing ~68 under "load" with the stock cooler, which I don't buy. Grab a decent thermal compound, that may save you a degree or two more with it.

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
Quote:

Do you use American dollars there? What is the exchange rate to euro?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

But it's Noctua!
tongue.gif

Freezer 7 pro is pretty good for the low price, I used one on my Phenom II some years back. Temps were better than what I was getting from stock and it was quieter (still fan noise, but not that obnoxious buzzing you get from the small fans). It will serve you well on the stock settings, but no room for OC which should be fine in your case. I would expect it would stay under 70C in everything short of prime95 but no guarantees.. I haven't tried it with a 6700. I googled up a few videos of people showing nice drops with it, but not sure the CPUs were at max stress since they were showing ~68 under "load" with the stock cooler, which I don't buy. Grab a decent thermal compound, that may save you a degree or two more with it.
Its even cheaper in here, about $15, i think im going to pick this one since i have no interest in overclocking.
Quote:

Do you use American dollars there? What is the exchange rate to euro?
No, we use SEK, and i wanted to convert to USD because i read majority of people in here talks with $

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
Quote:

No, we use SEK, and i wanted to convert to USD because i read majority of people in here talks with $
That is because most are in America. But prices there are different than here or where you are.
Is your budget 377 SEK?

The Scythe Kotetsu is quite a good cooler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

That is because most are in America. But prices there are different than here or where you are.
Is your budget 377 SEK?

The Scythe Kotetsu is quite a good cooler.
My budget is whatever i can save up. The Scythe Kotetsu has good reviews and i like the mounting mechanics, but i think it will be waste of money since i wont be overclocking the stock 6700 non-k.

I was looking for the cheapest cooler that is better than Intel's stock cooler to keep the temps in 70's under heavy loads for long periods of time, and ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 for only 115 SEK
rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
TRUE Spirit 140 Power is a great cooler, but it is way more expensive than Freezer 7

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah but if you can afford a 6700 you can afford a decent cooler, buying the cheapest of the cheap makes no sense “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

·
Premium Member
27,481 Posts
To me coolers are a long term investment to be used for many years on different systems. I'm still using coolers I purchased 8 years ago.

Machos and TRUE Spirit 140s are very close in performance to the best at similar noise levels while being significantly lower priced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

TRUE Spirit 140 Power is a great cooler, but it is way more expensive than Freezer 7
It exceeds my budget way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

Yeah but if you can afford a 6700 you can afford a decent cooler, buying the cheapest of the cheap makes no sense "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
Just because i can afford a good car doesnt mean i can also afford spending thousands on modifying/tuning.

As i said earlier, i wont overclock my 6700. I dont think i need something too powerful to keep temps below 80c under load, i also checked reviews for the Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 and it doesnt seem to be of poor quality or bad at all.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Intel Core i7 920
Ambient 22c

It is a cheap and affordable cooler, but expensive is not always equal to good/best and cheap may not necessarily be bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts