Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


build 7048 of Windows 7 includes Internet Explorer as one of many Windows components that can be turned on or off via a Windows Features dialog box. This feature is not available in the public beta. Perhaps this is a sign of Microsoft bowing to the pressure by European Union to allow more competition in the browser market.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=3724

hmm, what MS ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
This isn't new. Turning it on or off isn't the same as uninstalling it. They are probably doing the exact same thing they do in XP and Vista. Turning it "off" means removing the shortcuts to it. You can still run it if you want (and in fact it runs constantly since it is integrated into the OS).

BTW, why does there need to be more competition in the browser market (as seen by the EU)? Firefox is steady gaining ground has become a very popular browser. Plus, it isn't like there is a whole lot of money in browsers. Not like it used to be where you would actually buy your browser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
Pointless.

The core behind internet explorer will never be removed, many other programs such as steam etc etc etc use it and of course if we are to believe MS that internet explorer is interwoven into other parts of windows. No-ones life is destroyed by having an internet explorer link in your start menu. God knows how much money the EU has wasted bringing down this pointlessness. Give a few mill to consumer groups to distribute leaflets with every new computer explaining there are other browser choices out there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,004 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sikozu
View Post

Pointless.

The core behind internet explorer will never be removed, many other programs such as steam etc etc etc use it and of course if we are to believe MS that internet explorer is interwoven into other parts of windows. No-ones life is destroyed by having an internet explorer link in your start menu. God knows how much money the EU has wasted bringing down this pointlessness. Give a few mill to consumer groups to distribute leaflets with every new computer explaining there are other browser choices out there.

I agree.


Though I dont use IE as my main web browser, having it ship on the system is not an inherently bad thing (nor is not being able to fully remove it - it is always nice to have a fallback in case something else borks). As long as I am free to supplement it with what I wish, I don't get why the EU is making such a large deal.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Thank god!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

Doesn't IE have a connection with the explorer?

Not since XP now IE and explorer aren't together. If you type a url in explorer it will popup IE etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
I really don't understand why this is a big deal to begin with. If you don't like it, just don't use it. LOL. In any-case, it's good to have cause if all else fails, IE will always work because everything HAS to be compatible with it, it's a standard. I'm sorry to say but no browser will ever become as popular/compatible as IE. No matter how much you wish it or say it. IMO, IE is extremely underrated, especially the newest versions. You will find everything for IE but not necessarily for Firefox. But just to show you I'm not some M$ fanboy. I prefer and use Safari 4.
In which, IMO, is Apple's only good software.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
Well I am the only one who sees a problem with a web browser being fully integrated with an operating system and not being able to completely remove it from the system?

Also the EU is making such a fuss because, precisely, a lot of stuff is not compatible with other browsers. I don't like that steam is explorer based, and every site I find that don't work well with chrome/firefox gets a ban for my part. Inthernet and it's contents should be independient of the browser you use to acess them, and also IMO, the only think you should not be able to modify in ANY OS is the kernel (and by that I mean on paying OS, not free software and such).

I wouldn't be surprised if sometime the EU makes a big fuss about OS X and windows not letting the user choose another GUI to work with. And no, I'm not talking about customizing the GUI, but being able to replace it totally.

Freedom FTW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
yay! i think this means that when i click a link in msn, my IE won't open anymore.

hooray
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sikozu
View Post

Pointless.

The core behind internet explorer will never be removed, many other programs such as steam etc etc etc use it and of course if we are to believe MS that internet explorer is interwoven into other parts of windows. No-ones life is destroyed by having an internet explorer link in your start menu. God knows how much money the EU has wasted bringing down this pointlessness. Give a few mill to consumer groups to distribute leaflets with every new computer explaining there are other browser choices out there.

I don't know if it is pointlessness, but IE has majority of the share in browser market because it ships with Windows. And the people who are not computer savvy, don't even know that there are other browsers out there. Hell they don't even use the IE tabs, they open different IE windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sikozu
View Post

Pointless.

The core behind internet explorer will never be removed, many other programs such as steam etc etc etc use it

It's not pointless. And who the hell needs the core removed?
The point is, there are cases when you set Firefox as default browser, but there are programs that don't actually care about what's your default browser and start IE.
You do really make difference between library (core) and application, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
How am I going to download Opera on a fresh install... If I have no IE!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf2009 View Post
I don't know if it is pointlessness, but IE has majority of the share in browser market because it ships with Windows. And the people who are not computer savvy, don't even know that there are other browsers out there. Hell they don't even use the IE tabs, they open different IE windows.
I agree but still don't understand why the big fuss about this. FireFox is nice but still a bit slower than IE.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top