Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:


Several video card manufacturers have begin increasing the amount of memory on their existing cards. Some of the time this can result in better performance.......

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=3900

Finally GTA 4 can be conquered.
Wow, so Nvidia is not the only one getting 2 GB VRAM.

Did somebody say that GDDR5 was in short supply ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,700 Posts
Price doesn't seem too bad either.
ATI/Sapphire's answer to the GTX 260 1.8GB?

oh how i miss those days when 256mb was more than enough.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,327 Posts
Broken link, hmmm, wonder if there is even any significant gains from 512 to 1GB rather than 5 fps :\\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
i'm not gonna lie, i'm a little disappointed that my graphics card setup is limited to a pool of 512mb

Off topic: (and that i'm temp limited for clocking my quad any higher....)

2gb seems like an ideal config if you plan to crossfire them, so that memory limitations are taken out of the equation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,501 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wolf2009
View Post

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=3900

Finally GTA 4 can be conquered.
Wow, so Nvidia is not the only one getting 2 GB VRAM.

Did somebody say that GDDR5 was in short supply ?

So gta 4 is the new crysis? I didn't know it was that hard on systems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,985 Posts
Waste of money. I mean, 1GB of memory is NO bottleneck unless you are at 2560x1600 with 8xaa or more. In that case, a 4870/GTX 260 is a little weak.
and gta4 is taxing on systems but is not the new crysis. Crysis looks so much better. gta4 is just coded like poo. Im just gonna buy it for my ps3 and be done with it. imho they graphics arent even very good, maxed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by darksideleader
View Post

Price doesn't seem too bad either.
ATI/Sapphire's answer to the GTX 260 1.8GB?

oh how i miss those days when 256mb was more than enough.

I miss the days when 4MB was overkill and 'nobody would ever need that much for any reason'.

Heh. You'll be reminiscing about the 2GB days when your son is buying a 64GB video card.

"Hey Dad, this new video card has 64GB of GDDR30! I need it!"
"Back in my day, we were lucky to have 2GB of GDDR5 on our cards!"
"Hah, what could that play, Crysis? Noob."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by USFORCES
View Post

You think GTA IV is bad you should try Empire total war it's brutal on cards, Also if GTA IV supported SLI it wouldn't be so bad.

GTA4 wrecks my 8800 Ultra...

However, Total War: Empire runs just fine, only thing that's not maxed is AA. (I do think TW:Empire is more CPU intensive though?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sgdude
View Post

Waste of money. I mean, 1GB of memory is NO bottleneck unless you are at 2560x1600 with 8xaa or more. In that case, a 4870/GTX 260 is a little weak.
and gta4 is taxing on systems but is not the new crysis. Crysis looks so much better. gta4 is just coded like poo. Im just gonna buy it for my ps3 and be done with it. imho they graphics arent even very good, maxed.

/offtopic

you can't make a direct comparison to those games on a basis of looks.... there is 2-3 times more things going on in GTA IV...The world size/traffic/day&night cycles/radio/plot triggers.

the only thing i can fault it's coding for is missing textures/glitches(and in some cases compatibility, but i havn't dealt with any of those problems) because overall, GTA IV is a programming achievement in my books
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post
/offtopic

you can't make a direct comparison to those games on a basis of looks.... there is 2-3 times more things going on in GTA IV...The world size/traffic/day&night cycles/radio/plot triggers.

the only thing i can fault it's coding for is missing textures/glitches(and in some cases compatibility, but i havn't dealt with any of those problems) because overall, GTA IV is a programming achievement in my books
agreed, i hate it when people compare on looks. like that is the only thing going on in games
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
GTA4 is in NO WAY the new Crysis. The game doesn't even support AA or AF and its coded horribly (worse than Crysis). The game itself - wonderful, the crap job port they did bringing it nearly 8 months after the console release STILL filled with bugs and limited direct input support - biggest fail of 2008.
 

·
Why is it smoking?
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Waste of money. I mean, 1GB of memory is NO bottleneck unless you are at 2560x1600 with 8xaa or more. In that case, a 4870/GTX 260 is a little weak.
Yeah, when I read the article, I was thinking "what res would it take for 2GB to be necessary?" I know my 512MB model has absolutely no problems with any game I've tried on it at 1680x1050, and I figure the 1GB model is at least good for 1920x1200. I know ATI is trying to fill the gaps while waiting for the 5xx0 series launch, but is more RAM really needed at this point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sacre
View Post

"Hey Dad, this new video card has 64GB of GDDR30! I need it!"
"Back in my day, we were lucky to have 2GB of GDDR5 on our cards!"
"Hah, what could that play, Crysis? Noob."

Lol, so true, so true... But by that time I think it will be GQDR5 or GODR5. (Quad data rate and Octa Data rate) Or maybe we will be using something completely different.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,509 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sacre
View Post

GTA4 wrecks my 8800 Ultra...

However, Total War: Empire runs just fine, only thing that's not maxed is AA. (I do think TW:Empire is more CPU intensive though?)

Your running everything at Ultra and everything is checked, do you have the ultra option?

I can only set 2 ultra and the rest at high with x2AA using GTX280's, otherwise my FPS drops and I get lag.
E8600 is at 4Ghz, I ordered a Q9650 today hopfully that helps...

But I can play GTAIV almost maxed...
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top