Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a relatively new (~4 months old) Netgear R6400 to broadcast internet throughout my house. Recently, I assembled a new HTPC, which I've been taking back and forth between my place and my girlfriend's. When first assembling the PC and using it at my place a few weeks ago, I was getting a satisfying signal with good speeds over G and AC. Around 4.5 megabytes per seconds download on the G signal, around 20-25 Megabyte per seconds download on the AC signal (I get ~30 wired). After a week of using it in my room, I took it over to my girlfriend's for a couple weeks, and then brought it back. Now I can't even get a steady wireless AC signal, and when it does work, I get under 1 megabyte per second download speeds. Wireless G gets me around 3-4 megabytes download, but the speeds seem finicky and unstable.

Nothing really changed between now and then that I can figure out. To access the network, I'm using the PC's built in wi-fi that is included with the Asrock Fatility Z170 ITX board.

I'm sorry if I'm missing some necessary info. Can anyone speculate what the issue might be? I tried a few different channels on the 5Ghz band and they were all roughly the same - pretty much unusable. That PC is on the other side of the house of my access point. My main PC directly underneath it by 1 floor, and the speeds are about the same as wired, but my link rate was averaging ~850 and now it's about ~700.

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
421 Posts
What's the possibility that a neighbor's wifi is hogging all the channels? I had this problem before I moved out to the country. The nearby houses all had wifi boxes and they were just using up all of the channels and raising the noise floor. If I went right next to the router I could get decent speed. If I went away from it at all, I still had signal strength but no speed at all.

I would recommend getting one of the programs that shows you all of the wifi radio traffic that your computer is picking up and see if there aren't just way too many routers in your area.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

What's the possibility that a neighbor's wifi is hogging all the channels? I had this problem before I moved out to the country. The nearby houses all had wifi boxes and they were just using up all of the channels and raising the noise floor. If I went right next to the router I could get decent speed. If I went away from it at all, I still had signal strength but no speed at all.

I would recommend getting one of the programs that shows you all of the wifi radio traffic that your computer is picking up and see if there aren't just way too many routers in your area.
Normally I'd agree and have done this already, but I don't think it's an interference issue. An extra person setting up a router in a nearby house shouldn't make my connection from stellar to completely unusable. If 5GHz was that unstable and suscectiple to interference, nobody would use it and it wouldn't be a wireless standard
tongue.gif

Besides, I already experimented with different channels and the results are all the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts