Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on buying a Accelero 7970 cause my TFIII fans are loud as all hell. Anyway, my VRM temps never reach over 60c even when overclocked a fair bit. Would it be fine to use the stock VRM cooling already on the card so I don't have to mess with the crappy VRM glue that comes with the Xtreme 7970?

·
Banned
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaging Excess View Post

I'm debating on buying a Accelero 7970 cause my TFIII fans are loud as all hell. Anyway, my VRM temps never reach over 60c even when overclocked a fair bit. Would it be fine to use the stock VRM cooling already on the card so I don't have to mess with the crappy VRM glue that comes with the Xtreme 7970?
Yes this wouldn't be an issue. I did the same thing when i tested my Xtreme on my hawk.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
the accelero won't fit with the msi 7950 twin frozr heatplate.

i tried, but it doesn't work.

i'm not sure if the plate would really cool better than just placing small heatsinks on the vrm. the stock plate actually doens't make very good contact with the vrm. there's like 2-3mm gap that the thermal pads need to cover.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestyle View Post

i'm not sure if the plate would really cool better than just placing small heatsinks on the vrm. the stock plate actually doens't make very good contact with the vrm. there's like 2-3mm gap that the thermal pads need to cover.
Well crap. Oh well, I'll just buy thermal tape to attach the heatsinks. I'm avoiding that damn glue at all costs

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
i heard the glue was good. you just have to take things slow and use a lot of it. the glue dries up and doesn't become glue. it becomes like a thermal pad that makes the sink stick.

i used thermal tape, but thats only because I plan on reselling my cooler when the time comes. if not for that, I would've used the thermal glue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

i heard the glue was good. you just have to take things slow and use a lot of it. the glue dries up and doesn't become glue. it becomes like a thermal pad that makes the sink stick.

i used thermal tape, but thats only because I plan on reselling my cooler when the time comes. if not for that, I would've used the thermal glue.
Fair enough. Thanks dude

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i have had an issue with the glue, it has been sitting there for 72+ hours and the vrm's were stuck like it was on a thermal pad but all the smaller heatsinks were just falling off even if you looked at them the wrong way.

any help appreciated
smile.gif

Matty

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:

Well that's disappointing to hear. I was thinking of getting to Accelero to replace the TF3 cooler on mine since its loud while gaming.

Are there any other options that will work with the stock VRM plate?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiya View Post

Well that's disappointing to hear. I was thinking of getting to Accelero to replace the TF3 cooler on mine since its loud while gaming.

Are there any other options that will work with the stock VRM plate?
It will fit. You just have to break out the Dremel tool.

This is the problem area

You need to trim it back like so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts