Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may have screwed up but I wanted to run this past you to check as you'll have a lot more knowledge on this than I.

I recently overclocked my machine with it running prime 95 blended and small FFT's for multiple hours to test stability and all looked fine then.

The specs are as follows:

CPU: Delidded 8700K at 4.5 at 1.145v w/ Copper IHS
RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3600mhz
CPU Cooler: Corsair h115i
Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370G
PSU: Corsair 860i
O/S: Win 10 64-bit

Last night when I was testing some changes to the LLC and VCORE as I wanted to bump it up to 4.7Ghz I accidentally set it to 1.55v and loaded the machine up, as soon as I got into the O/S and opened Prime 95 to run a small FFT test with HWmonitor open I saw it was as 1.55 and immediately rebooted and dropped it back down to 1.2v.

Since then I've noticed during idle after about 10 minutes and Prime 95 stress tests for 5 that it will BSOD to a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and have even seen a BSOD on performing a system restart with a DPC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error code.

I've seen that people have said that under idle 1.55v would not have been critical to the CPU, it's only after running it for extended stress tests that it would have done any significant damage.

Are they correct or has my mistype broken things? I'd rather not buy another 8700K but will if I really have to go down that route.

Thanks.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,876 Posts
watchdog usually just means something is either failing to show up or "respond", according to a quick google search.

I doubt you did any damage. Might simply be coincedence of those errors.

Try bumping your ram voltage up a tiny bit, and your vccio up a tiny bit.

Then get a good 1-2 hours of prime95 blend on it, and see what happens.

If your cpu was damaged by that voltage only on idle and startup conditions, you would think many more owners would be talking about it.

Update us on what the stress test yields. But I really do think your cpu is okay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
watchdog usually just means something is either failing to show up or "respond", according to a quick google search.

I doubt you did any damage. Might simply be coincedence of those errors.

Try bumping your ram voltage up a tiny bit, and your vccio up a tiny bit.

Then get a good 1-2 hours of prime95 blend on it, and see what happens.

If your cpu was damaged by that voltage only on idle and startup conditions, you would think many more owners would be talking about it.

Update us on what the stress test yields. But I really do think your cpu is okay
Thanks for advice, I'll let you know what the results are, the Prime 95 at 1.55v ran for about 5-10 seconds at most before I realised and rebooted.

Big lesson learnt so that will be triple checked in the future.

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
Thanks for advice, I'll let you know what the results are, the Prime 95 at 1.55v ran for about 5-10 seconds at most before I realised and rebooted.

Big lesson learnt so that will be triple checked in the future.
Reset everything stock and prime95. If pass than its a overclock related issue and start your adjustments

If you were 99c prime95 load 1.55v and say for 1 day straight than yes this will cause damage but your situation no I don't think that amount of voltage with that amount of time did anything.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reset everything stock and prime95. If pass than its a overclock related issue and start your adjustments

If you were 99c prime95 load 1.55v and say for 1 day straight than yes this will cause damage but your situation no I don't think that amount of voltage with that amount of time did anything.

Will do, it ran at 70C at the 1.55v for about 10 seconds at most till I stopped it so it's reset to stock and I updated the chipset driver and flashed BIOS to newest version as they both helped stability before this happened.

I'll post a follow-up here when I get the results.

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
Will do, it ran at 70C at the 1.55v for about 10 seconds at most till I stopped it so it's reset to stock and I updated the chipset driver and flashed BIOS to newest version as they both helped stability before this happened.

Please do good luck!

·
Tinkers With Rigs
1,154 Posts

I have to agree with all the other fine folks, especially since you only got to 70C.

I've had overclocks that would go wonky after I was tinkering with the settings but put back to the stable, working settings. Maybe this happened to you? If the problem persists just start at stock again and work your way back up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can tell you that you did not fry your chip. However, your overclock is not stable, hence the watchdog timeouts. perhaps your overclocking the BLCK, past 100 Mhz (could be called something else in Coffee Lake)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post update:

Been so far 4 hours into a Prime95 blended test running 4.7 @ 1.2v and no crashes so far. I think I'm leaning towards everything being okay.

Thanks for the help everyone, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
285 Posts
quick question, why did you touch llc and vcore for a simple 4.7ghz OC? Was expecting to see a poor motherboard but you have asus rog mobo. The only things I had to do was disable enhanced turbo, apply 48x to all core and enjoy. Fully stable @ 4.8 with 1.208v during peak avx2 load (132watts)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I did that but it was because of the bugged Adaptive Voltage Mode that I've never been able to solve (I've set 1.35v for 5.1Ghz) and it ended up at 1.52v during load, I immediately canceled the stress test.

·
Facepalm
8,614 Posts
@Hendrix1970 so is your overclock working fine now? Everything's good?
I thought most mainboards required using some onboard jumper to go past 1.5v. Probably something got triggered and something didn't get reset back right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Falkentyne Yep everything is running perfectly again luckily. I would have thought so too but in the BIOS when it was at 1.55 the number was coloured in purple but that was it, I could have gone higher potentially but not about to ever test that out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts