Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I think I'm screwed...I volt modded my 4830 with RBE and the card went beserk...fans spinning crazily, totally unstable at ALL settings. I panicked and reset the settings to what I thought were stock...bad idea as I chose the lowest voltage listed on RBE (0.088 or something) it needs 1.044 or something. Basically it wont boot to windows now. Safe mode due to display settings wont allow me access RBE. I have a brand new paper weight right now. Any help would be appreciated. I'm a 44 year old noob, please keep any help or suggestions in a simplified for idiots format. Thanks!

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Nyte, I have another card, 7800gt, but how will my RBE still be able to flash the 4830 when it's not installed?

Gerikoh...it's a Sapphire, I found the original BIOS settings, just cant figure out how to flash it when it won't boot.

Thanks!

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
nah, they have different bios. my bad. but you can ask from the guys in that thread. a lot of them own the sapphire one

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have an idea? Dieanother day say's Nibitor and Dos...I researched that but it looks like Nibitor is for Nvidia only, Nyte says open the display with another card....OK, but HOW will THAT allow me to flash the 4830? I appreciate the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowsidr
View Post

Hey Nyte, I have another card, 7800gt, but how will my RBE still be able to flash the 4830 when it's not installed?

Gerikoh...it's a Sapphire, I found the original BIOS settings, just cant figure out how to flash it when it won't boot.

Thanks!

It will need to be a plain old PCI card if you don't have an extra PCIe slot. You can probably pick one up for cheap and used online somewhere I would think.

Or you can try and flash it blind or with a batch file like some have stated, it sucks to do it that way... It can be done, I have done it one time in the past.

The secondary card idea will only work if your mobo supports it, but if it's newer it shouldn't be a problem.

Thirdly, you can put it in someone elses computer, that has an extra PCIe slot and use theirs to flash it.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
If you can't get a PCI card to flash the PCIE card, you can do a blind flash. This is essentially going through all the motions of flashing (via DOS) with no display. I have done it a few times, but that was also right after flashing it many times, so the steps were all fresh in my head. If you have never flashed it via DOS, it will be hard for you to do this.

The other option is to grab a friend who has a dual slot mobo and use one card to flash the other. The same way you would with a PCI card, just using a second PCIE card instead.

edit: I guess it would help if I read the post above mine, lol. Same ideas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaahhh, extra card is a PCI express (7800gt), my board is a DFI nf4 ultra-D, would that work with two different cards (NVIDIA/ATI)? If so, what would I do get the PC to boot using the 7800?? A blind flash through DOS is out, I have never done it before, haven't a clue.

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just checked....board is not SLI but has two PCI express slots.....what next?

What you'll need to do is install both cards in the mobo. Hook up the 7800 as the display card. Using ah tool (like ATI Flash), you will flash via DOS as normal except instead of puting the location as the display card, you put it as the other card.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dralb, I haven't flashed from DOS before, don't know how. Where can I get the proper BIOS for the card and step by step instructions on how to flash from one card to another? The settings I have are from a screen shot from someone else s 4830 running RBE. I need a floppy for this right? What sounds so simple to most is confusing the "F" outta me. Thanks!

Be back later today.....

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

View Post

dralb, I haven't flashed from DOS before, don't know how. Where can I get the proper BIOS for the card and step by step instructions on how to flash from one card to another? The settings I have are from a screen shot from someone else s 4830 running RBE. I need a floppy for this right? What sounds so simple to most is confusing the "F" outta me. Thanks!

Be back later today.....

I'll see if I can find a walk-through. The basic idea is the same as a mobo BIOS flash. You need to get a flash tool. You need to make a bootable disc or drive (as in fdd or USB etc.)

Once you load the correct BIOS and flash tool (can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...ace=&memSize=0 Make sure it is the one you need. If not, you'll need to find someone with the same card and have them send you the BIOS) you boot to that drive/disc. There are commands you will enter to force the flash. One of the commands tells which slot to flash to. (I think it is -0 and -1 for each slot)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK...re-installed the 7800....moved the ATI 4830 down a slot...rebooted, BSOD. Removed 4830...everythings fine...re-boot, reinstall 4830 BSOD. Go to DFI bios, choose manual config for PCIe to boot first.....turn off all auto ****....reboot, almost to windows, black screen....

Long story short *** do I do to flash the ATI...how do I get the PC to windows with two diff cards installed?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.