Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Sandra 2004 and cpu-z v. 1.25 accurately distinguis between Thorougbred and Barton cores? I bought what was advertised as a Barton core 2600+ from an online vendor but both afore mentioned utilities are reporting it to be a Thoroughbred.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
CPU-Z should be able to recognize the core effectively without misguiding, but then it seems the motherboard would have a lot to do with the autodetection as well. A 2600 thorton is a 266 bus processor while the barton is a 333...if the board only recognizes up to 266, that may be a problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the board bios is incorrectly interpreting the amount of L2 cache as 256k instead of 512k and that the utilities are taking their cue from the bios. I need to check this out when I get home tonight but I think I recall the two CPU utilities reporting the processor as "Model 10" which would correspond to either a Thorton or a Barton. Since the processor is currently running at a FSB of 200 mhz at a multiplier of 11 I am sure it is not a Thorton.

Oh, yes, the mb is capable of 400 mb FSB.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
200x11 and cpu-z is registering it as a thorton?! thats very strange!

Maybe time for a bios update, which bios revision is it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who said Thorton? I said Thoroughbred. As it turns out, the online vendor did sell me a Thoroughbred instead of a Barton. I confirmed it by removing the heatsink and looking at the codes. The packing slip said CPAXDA2600DKV4D but on the CPU itself the last five characters in the code are DKV3D. Vendor said he would exchange it but I'm not sure I want to do that as the chip I did receive has proved to be unlocked and a good overclocker. Plus, benchmark studies I have looked at show little performance increase of the Barton over the Thoroughbred. What do you guys think I should do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts