Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i know at least three of us have one of these laptops, I thought i would make a quasi-club thread.

Here goes.

Laptop in bulletpoints:
-throttling
-decent build quality
-amazing performance/price
-1" thin

Common Specs:
Intel Core i5 2410M / i7 2620
4GB DDR3 1333MHz, Hyinx
Intel HD 3000 or nVidia GT 540M 1/2GB DDR3
WD 500/750GB HDD or 120GB SSD
AOU 13.3" LED LCD, 1366x768
Windows 7 Home

First off; owners list:
-reflex99
3830TG / i5 2410m / GT 540m 1G

-ComradeNF

-robwadeson

-hengster
3830TG / i7 2620m / GT 540m 2G

-killeraxemannic

-Wincet

-brettjv

-eightdrunkengods

Next; mods and tweaks:

How to prevent throttling:
The number one issue with this laptop, is throttling. Some fool at acer doesn't understand thermodynamics, and failed to provide an adequate heatsink/fan for the given hardware. Luckilly for us, it is correctable for the most part. Through the following three steps, members have been able to prevent, or completely stop throttling.

DISCLAIMER: These steps can void your warranty. I take no personal responsibility for damage done to your laptop/components/dignity. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Step one: Throttle stop.
Throttlestop is an amazing little program that allows you to set the multiplier of your sandy bridge CPU. To download said program click here: (link).

When you open throttlestop, you will be greeted by a panel that has a bunch of options. Set them like so:

-Clock modulation (unchecked)
-Chipset Clock mod (unchecked)
-Set Multiplier (checked, then put 19.0 in the box to the right) Here is where you need to play around a bit. For me, 19 works, and is almost bulletproof in games. it sets the CPU to 1.9GHz. If you can go higher and still get acceptable performance, by all means, do it.
-power saver (unchecked) You can set up a second profile for battery power if you want to use this setting
-disable turbo (checked)
-EIST (checked) this is intel speedstep. Checking or unchecking this box doesn't do anything on my laptop, so i just leave it checked
-BD PROCHOT (unchecked) never messed with it, so i leave it unchecked
-C1E (checked) also a power saving technique

then hit save. You can go into options, and tweak it to your liking. I have TS start minimized with windows. I also have it set up so i have a profile that it switches to on battery which clocks it down to 1GHz to save battery.

Step 2: remove vent mesh
Ok, this step is pretty easy as well. The idiot that designed this notebook decided that it would be a good idea to put this plastic mesh over the bottom vents. Cool, now dust doesn't get in, but neither does like ANY AIR AT ALL. Luckily this genius of an engineer only used glue to hold the mesh in, so it is pretty easy to remove. You can just use your fingers, and pull it up, being careful not to rip the silver foil. Here is what mine looked like when i finished it:
jdvBgL40i.jpg

Step 3: add some coins
Through some craftiness, we have come up with this method that helps delay or prevent throttling. Behold!
ibomS1UZoyayrj.png

All this is, is dimes on top of nickels sitting on top of the heatpipe. No TIM is used, and they are held in by the case when you put it back on. I actually changed the one furthest to the right to a penny instead of a dime as it provided better fit. The build quality of these isn't very exact, so you might need to try a couple different combinations of coins.

Alternatively you can use copper slugs, which are designed for this purpose, but i didn't have any of those on hand.

Step 4: redo thermal paste
See here for teardown Instructions:
http://broo2.blogspot.com/2011/07/acer-3830tg-6431-teardown.html

Step 5: buy Laptop cooler
Generally, the Cooler Master U2 is regarded as the best of the best. While the stock fans are decent, a lot more cooling power can be achieved if you replace them with something like scythe slipstreams or similar.
Newegg-Cooler Master U2

On battery wear:
Acer decided to source batteries from two different companies; Panasonic, and Sanyo. This would be great and all if the batteries performed the same, but sadly the Panasonic battery likes to exhibit very erratic wear. Some people report 9% battery wear on first boot
eek.gif
. To check which battery you have, I suggest Batterycare. Battery care will tell you the model, wear level, and a bunch of other useful info about your battery. So now you are probably like "OH NOES I HAZ PANASONIC!". Well don't worry, not all of the panasonic batteries show this issue. I personally have the panasonic battery, and mine has been at a solid 2% wear for almost 3 weeks now (as of writing).

If it really bothers you, some members on NBR have called Acer, explained the issue to them, and then Acer sent them new Sanyo batteries pretty much without question. The best part? Acer let them keep the old battery. Pretty good service if you ask me.

-under construction

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Any stores cary them? I don't want to wait for mine!

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FRY'S does by me.

If you can find someone with an Amazon prime account, they can get overnight for $4 i think. That's how i got mine, a friend overnighted it to me with his prime accnt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought 3830TG / i7 2620m / GT540m 2g..
smile.gif

have tons of question to ask.. noob with laptops.. this is my first laptop.. i bought it bcos im a multimedia student.. need a laptop to bring to school
redface.gif

looking at the throttle stop software now

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengster;14612573
I just bought 3830TG / i7 2620m / GT540m 2g..
smile.gif

have tons of question to ask.. noob with laptops.. this is my first laptop.. i bought it bcos im a multimedia student.. need a laptop to bring to school
redface.gif

looking at the throttle stop software now
Where did you find that? I was looking for the faster one and could not find it

·
Registered
53 Posts
guys..i'm about to buy this laptop, but i have a question..will AMD APUs perform better in games than the acer?? or will the acer be better? here are my other choices:

Choice 2
Ideapad Z575
A6-3400M Fusion Quad-Core Processor (1.4GHz, up to 2.3GHz / 4M Cache)
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit (TC/SC/ENG)
1 x 2GB + 1 x 2GB (third party, separately distributed) DDR3 1333MHz / No Free Slots
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
15.6" HD Glossy / LED-Backlit (1366 x 768)
AMD Radeon™ HD6520G in processor + AMD Radeon™ HD6650M (1GB Dedicated) (Dual Graphics)

Choice 3
AMD A-Series Quad-Core Processor A8-3500M (1.5 GHz base, up to 2.4GHz / 4MB L2 Cache)
2 x 2GB DDR3 1066MHz / No Free Slots
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
15.6" Glossy / LED-Backlit (1366 x 768)
AMD Radeon™ HD 6650M (1GB Dedicated)

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior191;14627587
guys..i'm about to buy this laptop, but i have a question..will AMD APUs perform better in games than the acer?? or will the acer be better? here are my other choices:

Choice 2
Ideapad Z575
1 x 2GB + 1 x 2GB (third party, separately distributed) DDR3 1333MHz / No Free Slots
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
AMD Radeon™ HD6520G in processor + AMD Radeon™ HD6650M (1GB Dedicated) (Dual Graphics)

Choice 3
AMD A-Series Quad-Core Processor A8-3500M (1.5 GHz base, up to 2.4GHz / 4MB L2 Cache)
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
The GPU in the TimelineX is around 6% faster than the 6650 which is in the A8

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior191;14627987
but, will the processor GPU in the APU give an advantage over the 540m (the asymmetrical crossfire thing??)???
No. The processor in the A8 even though its a Quad core is slower in benchmarks than the i5 2410 which is a quad threaded dual core. TimelineX The Crossfire thing is irrelevant in laptops anyway. It only apples to desktops which have a discrete graphics card.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Any of you guys gaming with these? I'm curious if the horror stories are true. I've heard a lot about (mostly the TimelineX ones) having major heating issues. I figured they wouldn't be great gaming machines but it makes me wonder how the thing handles even basic HD video.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Well you can add me to the club! Ordered mine this morning with overnight shipping!

3830TG i5 2410, 540 1GB

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior191;14627587

Choice 2
Ideapad Z575
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)

Choice 3
750GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
The thing you need to remember with the TLX. It is only 1" thick. Yes, there are better performing laptops for the money, but they are much bulkier. You pay a bit of a premium for the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior191;14627987
but, will the processor GPU in the APU give an advantage over the 540m (the asymmetrical crossfire thing??)???
The APU+ dGPU will probably be faster than the 540m, but the i5 2410 is MUCH faster in gaming and most applications than the APU CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337;14628615
Any of you guys gaming with these? I'm curious if the horror stories are true. I've heard a lot about (mostly the TimelineX ones) having major heating issues. I figured they wouldn't be great gaming machines but it makes me wonder how the thing handles even basic HD video.
Games fine, thermal threshold is about 100c, so as long as you keep it under that, you are fine. I'm still writing it, but if you follow all the steps in the (soon to be) guide in the OP, you can prevent most thermal issues.

and HD videos uses the igp, so yea....not much heat there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic;14629771
Well you can add me to the club! Ordered mine this morning with overnight shipping!

3830TG i5 2410, 540 1GB
yay

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
added a section about the mesh vents to the Thermal management section

also added info about the battery

·
Registered
708 Posts
Add me to the list I have an i5/540 1gb version.

I just got done trying to figure out why my laptop would only use the IGP no matter what program was running. Turns out that when I got the new drivers from laptopvideo2go I didn't overwrite the default INF file correctly. Some drivers don't even let you install if you don't do it correctly, but I guess for these it just disables the 540m
redface.gif

Now my only remaining problem is possibly my battery wear. It hovers around 8-10% and I have the Panasonic battery. The heat has not been an issue for me after using throttlestop. I haven't removed the mesh yet or reapplied thermal paste although I'll probably remove the mesh soon.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^assuming 3830?

it seems like 13.3 is the most popular size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ah i just tried playing BFBC2 on my laptop and the temp hit 98C!! im currently using a cheap old 3 fan laptop cooler..

i didnt change any settings for my laptop.. never use throttle stop also..

didnt remove the wire mesh also.. bcos there a sticker on that states "warranty void if tear" directly on the screw..

frown.gif

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengster;14641512
ah i just tried playing BFBC2 on my laptop and the temp hit 98C!! im currently using a cheap old 3 fan laptop cooler..

i didnt change any settings for my laptop.. never use throttle stop also..

didnt remove the wire mesh also.. bcos there a sticker on that states "warranty void if tear" directly on the screw..

frown.gif
1. use throttle stop, it is a god.

2. what screw?

BC2 gets pretty warm for me to. The CPU will sometimes get into the like 95 range. But, i dont have a laptop cooler yet.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Just got mine today!!! I am posting this message from it! Its a sweet laptop!! Great size and seems like its made pretty well! Will be playing some games later!!. I also like the feel of the chicklet keys on the keyboard!!! Its actually better than my macbook I have for work

1 - 20 of 376 Posts