Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stock *ahem*
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My HP DV6-2154 laptop was getting very very old and I figured it was time to retire the thing and get a newer (and lighter) laptop. Since my use case no longer requires me to carry a laptop around a lot of the time, I didn't really feel I needed a top-flight system, and this one happened to be on sale at London Drugs for ~$430 before tax.

What swayed me towards it was a Youtube review showed it was actually fairly decent in casual gaming, but a Unigine Heaven benchmark at 1920x1080 (native screen resolution), modified from the Basic preset and choosing DX11, shows considerable sluggishness that I wasn't really expecting. Here's a CPU-Z:

Ryzen3.png

GPU-Z:

ryzen3_gpu.gif

The actual laptop in question is an A315-23-R7XD (the closest model Acer has on their website is this one), and the unigine result in PDF form is attached.

Any suggestions for improvement here? For normal productivity use it's more than adequate and I've had no problem doing web browsing or your basic Word/Excel/etc stuff on it. Just wondering if i can squeeze out anything gaming-wise.

Attachments

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,834 Posts
from what little I can find on it, it's got single channel RAM. single channel with an APU is a no-no.

check CPU-Z to make sure (or just pop it open and look) but swap to a 2x8/2x16 kit.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,326 Posts
I would check the bios and see if it has the option to change ram speed/timing's.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,753 Posts
What does the memory tab in CPU-Z look like?

·
Stock *ahem*
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the weird thing, y'all. Here, have a look at these CPU-Z tabs:

CPUZ_Memory.png CPUZ_SPD1.png CPUZ_SPD2.png

On the one hand, from Youtube reviews I've definitely heard it said this thing has single channel. But CPU-Z seems to claim otherwise. Until I can physically get into the laptop case (which I need some special tools for) I can't verify 100%.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts