Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killuchen View Post

Trying to find more info/reviews on this monitor. Has it officially released yet??
It's a 1080p TN panel, most likely just a refresh of the XB240H. According to Amazon it can OC to 180Hz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would be interested to hear more about this one too, there's like 2 people I saw already have bought it in some swedish overclocking community site following with one post summarizing feedback on them and both were very positive (mind you people who haven't used very high quality monitors in the past though)

In particular I'm interested in the 180Hz overclocking capability, how well it works and if there's any noticeable artifacts/sideffects (white halo visible?) and such. Backlight bleed and such is always good to check too. Also I wonder if there's really any meaningful difference of the advertised GSync V2, I suspect it's more of a marketing tactic but if there's some actual improvement to v2 of any kind, this would be very interesting to know.

However I cannot stand the stand ;p Luckily I bet ASUS will be using this exact same panel in their upcoming variant of the same package but Acer is first to the market like so often these days. Hopefully the overclockability of 180Hz on the Acer FORCES ASUS to bring higher than 144Hz to their product, they already have been talking about possibly bringing it up to 165Hz and now that this Acer product with 180Hz capability is out it kinda settles it for ASUS too that they should AT LEAST bring out 165Hz if not more. For me 165Hz would be a fine value, 180Hz is just getting overkill, 144Hz is already pretty satisfactory but you can never have enough but the 165Hz for me is a good balance between the urge to need to buy better GPUs more often to handle that 165 FPS (would be getting expensier with 180 FPS) so in that mind, I'd be perfectly happy with 165Hz on the ASUS, anything higher than 144Hz will make it cool though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Would be interested to hear more about this one too, there's like 2 people I saw already have bought it in some swedish overclocking community site following with one post summarizing feedback on them and both were very positive (mind you people who haven't used very high quality monitors in the past though)

In particular I'm interested in the 180Hz overclocking capability, how well it works and if there's any noticeable artifacts/sideffects (white halo visible?) and such. Backlight bleed and such is always good to check too. Also I wonder if there's really any meaningful difference of the advertised GSync V2, I suspect it's more of a marketing tactic but if there's some actual improvement to v2 of any kind, this would be very interesting to know.

However I cannot stand the stand ;p Luckily I bet ASUS will be using this exact same panel in their upcoming variant of the same package but Acer is first to the market like so often these days. Hopefully the overclockability of 180Hz on the Acer FORCES ASUS to bring higher than 144Hz to their product, they already have been talking about possibly bringing it up to 165Hz and now that this Acer product with 180Hz capability is out it kinda settles it for ASUS too that they should AT LEAST bring out 165Hz if not more. For me 165Hz would be a fine value, 180Hz is just getting overkill, 144Hz is already pretty satisfactory but you can never have enough but the 165Hz for me is a good balance between the urge to need to buy better GPUs more often to handle that 165 FPS (would be getting expensier with 180 FPS) so in that mind, I'd be perfectly happy with 165Hz on the ASUS, anything higher than 144Hz will make it cool though.
Have you read somewhere that Asus will release a monitor like this?

About 180 Hz. Sounds interesting, but without a professional review that can measure the consequences of this overclock, it feels like a doubtful purchase. If I recall correctly, overclocking to 165 Hz on the new IPS screens from Acer and Asus increased response times slightly. Pretty sure that overclocking to 180 Hz on this monitor will come with drawbacks as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack42 View Post

Have you read somewhere that Asus will release a monitor like this?

About 180 Hz. Sounds interesting, but without a professional review that can measure the consequences of this overclock, it feels like a doubtful purchase. If I recall correctly, overclocking to 165 Hz on the new IPS screens from Acer and Asus increased response times slightly. Pretty sure that overclocking to 180 Hz on this monitor will come with drawbacks as well.
I'm aware of the 165Hz IPS result from ASUS and Acer but IPS panels are noticeably slower in response times than TN panels and I simply think the reason for those results is simply because IPS panels aren't fast enough to cope with 165Hz. However TN should be able to I think and with a personal guess (but don't quote me on it) will see improved response times all the way up to around 200Hz for the fastest panels today. I think bringing out overclocked TN panels supporting even higher than 144Hz will be a good way for manufacturers to still be able to sell "premium" TN panel monitors these days. IPS tops out at 144Hz with the fastest panels today so it will be stupid to offer higher than 144Hz for IPS. Offering 165 - 200Hz TN panels would still make them a relevant option as in the past when it was about picking for gaming (TN) or picture quality (IPS) before 144Hz IPS options started showing up which will be enough performance wise for 90%+ of people anyway.

You can see the info about ASUS upcoming model here (doesn't have a model name yet):

http://techfrag.com/2016/01/19/asus-is-working-on-a-24-rog-swift-g-sync-monitor/ (also presented in the video down on the page)

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fi&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sweclockers.com%2Fnyhet%2F21526-asus-forbereder-rog-swift-skarm-med-24-tum-och-g-sync

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the links.

If they use a high quality TN panel, perhaps 8 bit, and overclocked to 165Hz, yes then I think it could be a nice monitor. Provided they keep the price low.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack42 View Post

Thanks for the links.

If they use a high quality TN panel, perhaps 8 bit, and overclocked to 165Hz, yes then I think it could be a nice monitor. Provided they keep the price low.
It's ASUS ROG we're talking about, since when did that stuff become cheap?
tongue.gif
The Acer's MSRP is $499 and ASUS typically sets itself $50 above the Acer offering, but yea I'm pretty sure the ASUS one will be 499 - $549.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im currently using an asus rog swift pg278q. I want to go back down to a 24" for csgo. Bought the benq xl2430t and hated it so i returned it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Had the XB241H, it was okay, but for $400 its just not worth the money when i have a 2795QHD that i got for $300 that obliterates it in picture quality. That said the colors were very accurate on the monitor, but its a TN so it doesn't really matter since that accuracy is only true for the center region of the monitor since off angle you get shifting.

Contrast was kind of poor at 800:1 calibrated, it was around 900:1 uncalibrated at 144hz, and at 60hz it managed to hit 1000:1. Unless you NEED gsync i would suggest the XG2401 from Viewsonic which is $100 cheaper and will give you the same performance but has better image quality with a higher 900:1 or higher calibrated contrast ratio as well as similar color accuracy as the XB. It has freesync so you may consider going AMD when its time to upgrade if you don't already have AMD.

Really the only thing the XB241H offers over the Viewsonic is Gsync so if you're an nvidia loyalist thats the only option for a new 24" 144hz monitor with VRR.

Otherwise the Viewonic has freesync which is equivalent to Gsync, costs $100 less, has an extra HDMI port as well as usb ports which the XB completely lacks. The stand on the viewsonic is also less obtrusive in its rectangular base design. I found the XB to just take up way too much desk space with its pointed feet. The other thing that i can't comprehend is why Acer decided to make the inner front bezel that meets the actual panel perpendicular to the panel instead of tilted away from the panel to avoid reflections like 99% of other monitors.

Granted the bezel is matte (its actually a very light matte, almost semi glossy) there are still some reflections from the screen because of their design. The Viewsonic has the angled bezel and the bezel is more matte to begin with so reflections from the screen there are a complete non issue.

EDIT: If you're looking for the absolute best image quality on a 24" 144hz TN monitor then theres no other choice than the LG 24GM77, however it lacks both gsync and freesync, and arguably its not tremendously better than the XG2401, and with both being the same price i'd still take the Viewsonic simply because of how nice of a feature freesync is on top of just preferring the overall matte enclosure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm very curious about this one too. I've recently returned two of the newer tech g-sync monitors. I returned a ROG Swift PG279Q because of BLB, and I returned a PG278Q because of vertical interlacing / pixel inversion. I'm REALLY hoping the panel on the XB241H bmpr doesn't have the pixel inversion issue present in the new 27 inch high speed TNs.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringmonk View Post

I'm very curious about this one too. I've recently returned two of the newer tech g-sync monitors. I returned a ROG Swift PG279Q because of BLB, and I returned a PG278Q because of vertical interlacing / pixel inversion. I'm REALLY hoping the panel on the XB241H bmpr doesn't have the pixel inversion issue present in the new 27 inch high speed TNs.
It doesn't, also if you do end up getting this monitor dont bother using the overclocking feature, just use 144hz.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Anyone currently using this monitor? How is it? I am really needing to upgrade my old monitor from 2010.

I like the 24" size and I want 1080p, also Gsync sounds awesome.

There are not a whole lot of options that offer 1080p, 24" and Gsync.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooface View Post

Anyone currently using this monitor? How is it?
Got mine today. Dead pixel and really bad backlight uniformity. Not sure if it's a monitor issue or a setting problem somewhere - but when using gsync, some games would sometimes cap at 120hz even though I had use highest refresh rate forced on globally in the Nvidia control panel and even in the ingame options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickz View Post

Got mine today. Dead pixel and really bad backlight uniformity. Not sure if it's a monitor issue or a setting problem somewhere - but when using gsync, some games would sometimes cap at 120hz even though I had use highest refresh rate forced on globally in the Nvidia control panel and even in the ingame options.
So you suggest to stay clear from the Acer XB241H? Although I know the Viewsonic XG2401 supports Freesync, I am in a pickle trying to decide between that and the Acer XB241H.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Had the XB241H, it was okay, but for $400 its just not worth the money when i have a 2795QHD that i got for $300 that obliterates it in picture quality. That said the colors were very accurate on the monitor, but its a TN so it doesn't really matter since that accuracy is only true for the center region of the monitor since off angle you get shifting.

Contrast was kind of poor at 800:1 calibrated, it was around 900:1 uncalibrated at 144hz, and at 60hz it managed to hit 1000:1. Unless you NEED gsync i would suggest the XG2401 from Viewsonic which is $100 cheaper and will give you the same performance but has better image quality with a higher 900:1 or higher calibrated contrast ratio as well as similar color accuracy as the XB. It has freesync so you may consider going AMD when its time to upgrade if you don't already have AMD.

Really the only thing the XB241H offers over the Viewsonic is Gsync so if you're an nvidia loyalist thats the only option for a new 24" 144hz monitor with VRR.

Otherwise the Viewonic has freesync which is equivalent to Gsync, costs $100 less, has an extra HDMI port as well as usb ports which the XB completely lacks. The stand on the viewsonic is also less obtrusive in its rectangular base design. I found the XB to just take up way too much desk space with its pointed feet. The other thing that i can't comprehend is why Acer decided to make the inner front bezel that meets the actual panel perpendicular to the panel instead of tilted away from the panel to avoid reflections like 99% of other monitors.

Granted the bezel is matte (its actually a very light matte, almost semi glossy) there are still some reflections from the screen because of their design. The Viewsonic has the angled bezel and the bezel is more matte to begin with so reflections from the screen there are a complete non issue.

EDIT: If you're looking for the absolute best image quality on a 24" 144hz TN monitor then theres no other choice than the LG 24GM77, however it lacks both gsync and freesync, and arguably its not tremendously better than the XG2401, and with both being the same price i'd still take the Viewsonic simply because of how nice of a feature freesync is on top of just preferring the overall matte enclosure.
Do you still stand by Viewsonic XG2401 > Acer XB241H? After searching around for about a week, I have finally narrowed my options down to these two as the best TN panel for my price range. I will be running a GTX 1070, so, G-Sync is slightly preferred, however I understand adaptive sync is not 'be all and end all'. Is the Viewsonic the better monitor of the two? Or will I be better off getting the Acer XB241H just because I can utilise G-Sync?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exertion View Post

Do you still stand by Viewsonic XG2401 > Acer XB241H? After searching around for about a week, I have finally narrowed my options down to these two as the best TN panel for my price range. I will be running a GTX 1070, so, G-Sync is slightly preferred, however I understand adaptive sync is not 'be all and end all'. Is the Viewsonic the better monitor of the two? Or will I be better off getting the Acer XB241H just because I can utilise G-Sync?
Definitely get the XB241H for G-sync/ULMB if you have a 1070. You won't be getting 100+ fps in all the latest titles with the setting maxed out so Gsync will definitely be of help where you'll be getting a lot of fps fluctuations. They're really similar in panel quality if you get a good one, so there i'd say they're even. If you had an AMD gpu then of course go for the Viewsonic, however even with an Nvidia GPU if you really dont care for Gsync and want to save $100-150 then the Viewsonic is still a good choice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts