Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've bought a Acer TravelMate 800 about 3 years ago and rather surprisingly it's still doing his job very well.

I just wanted to overclock the CPU a little bit since some of the more recent games don't run very well because of it's speed being 1.3Ghz.
(Of course, most of the recent games (especially FPSs) don't work at all on it but I have another more recent and powerful computer for them.. I just wanted to be able play in a LAN).

I read about Notebook Hardware Control but it does not seem to implement a CPU overclock function...

I also tried RightMark but could not get it to work properly... (couldn't change the clock speed ^^).

Does anybody know any other good program for Notebook Overclocking?
Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
for notebook hardware control you need to pay 22 dollars and register to be able to oc with it and as for rightmark, it should work, judging from what i read on the site check the rightmark site to make sure your cpu is supported.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I can't overclock from the BIOS.
I went on RightMark site and these are the Supported Intel CPUs:

* Intel Pentium II/Celeron, Pentium III/Celeron, Pentium M/Celeron M, Pentium 4/Celeron (Northwood and Prescott cores), Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin and Prescott cores), Xeon (Prestonia, Nocona, Cranford, Irwindale, Potomac, Paxville and Dempsey cores), Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition (Smithfield, Presler and Cedar Mill cores), Core Solo and Core Duo processors (Yonah core).

The CPU of the TravelMate 800 is a Centrino, which does not seem to be supported...

I remember having read something about Centrino Overclock/Monitor Utility or something of that kind but I could not find anything on google...

Are there any other programs for overclocking?
Thanks

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
don't OC a laptop thats a very bad Idea, it will overheat like mad...and in the end probably just kill the laptop, most people strongly discourage overclocking laptops as they have very little cooling and are in such a tight space that if one thing gets a spark then nearly every thing in the laptop is dead. I just do some xp optimizing guides on it... Enterprise has a really good one

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Normally yeah, overlclocking a laptop is suicidal. But with this laptop being so old is it really a loss if it pops? Just make sure that the laptop is dust free and has a coolmat and dont overclocking it too much you should be okay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I mean I won't think I'll go beyon 1.5Ghz.. it's just to make the game work...

Anyway, there is always the security shutdown after a certain temp that can be modified...

PS: I could not find any smart FSB on google. Are you sure it's the right name?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts