Overclock.net banner

Acetone to remove nickel plating

19K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ThrashZone 
#1 ·
Hi,
Acetone dip/ soaking does that really work to remove nickel plating after... 24hr or so ?
Water blocks is the object to be used for mono block and GPU blocks
Probably mono block first seeing it's not used anymore.

#4 ·
Hi,
Got both vinegar white and acetone too
I'll try the vinegar first as a bath thanks for the suggestion :)

#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks doubt I'd want to introduce vinegar in a loop and use it if that what you mean by normal use.

I'm talking about bath applications only by the way.
Vinegar sounds easy too not sure about the warm water bit.

#6 ·
Hi,
Interesting I read soak with a tooth brush scrub about every 2-3 hours will remove nickel
Kind of why I asked though see if it was actually true or not :)

#8 ·
Real nickel plating is pretty tough and only mechanical abrasion or a fairly strong acid will remove it. If it comes off more easily, the underlying metal wasn't prepped properly in the first place.

#9 ·
Hi,
Maybe i should just used mayhems part 1 and 2 :D

Looked closer at the x299 mono block and the ek evo cold plate
All it looks like the evo cold plate needs for it to be used on the mono block is 1/16" more razor blade jet plates or 3-4 of the thicker ones

Might one day try it maybe next flush I just finished 1.5 year flush/ tear down cleaning so too late now to do it plus I've got everything sorted now the way I like it or really best temps wise anyway :)

#11 ·
Hi,
Ouch yeah sand blasting would probably do bad things to copper under too :eek:

Acid dip... really not worth that I was trying to keep in the not so toxic processes :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.