Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon,

I wanted to inform everyone that owns this display that it's capable of being overclocked with a Nvidia GPU @ resolutions such as [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] However, you must be in [email protected] in order to create those resolutions or else the display will fail to do so. Anything above 1920x1080 that is @60hz will fail to create those resolutions.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
@CallsignVega

Don't miss this, thought you mind find it interesting.

·
Jedi Knight
680 Posts
OMG, I'm so glad you posted this. I hadn't bothered playing around with custom res's since getting this display, I just assumed I would be stuck at 1080p for 120Hz. I was able to get 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 working at 120Hz with no fuss at all. I don't like those odd aspect ratios so I'm glad these res's worked. I was really shocked [email protected] worked since HDMI technically shouldn't have the bandwidth for it right?

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
OMG, I'm so glad you posted this. I hadn't bothered playing around with custom res's since getting this display, I just assumed I would be stuck at 1080p for 120Hz. I was able to get 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 working at 120Hz with no fuss at all. I don't like those odd aspect ratios so I'm glad these res's worked. I was really shocked [email protected] worked since HDMI technically shouldn't have the bandwidth for it right?
4K is 3840x2160. Not 3840x1600.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Isn't there a way to test to make sure frames aren't being skipped? Hopefully someone can verify that. You might be running 120 HZ but maybe you're actually getting less than 120 frames being displayed. Would be nice if Vega can confirm on his 2018 model as well.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Doesn't work on the C8. It just down samples it to 1080p, it is all blurry. Tried all of the scaling options too.

If it truly worked, 3840x1600 would be crystal clear just like 4K but with black bars top and bottom. While I don't have a C7, I highly doubt it works.

·
Jedi Knight
680 Posts

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts

·
Jedi Knight
680 Posts
Ok, yea, Vega is right. After switching back and forth between 3840x2160 120Hz, 2560x1440 120Hz, and those res's at 60 Hz, It's definitely doing something funky to make it work. I think it's messing with the subsampling or downsampling or something causing text to be blurry. It wasn't dropping frames and it was definitely at 120Hz (did the frame skip test phenom linked and the UFO test, it passed both), but text was definitely a lot blurrier than those res's at 60 Hz, even messing with scaling as Vega said.

Frame skip test at 2560x1440 120Hz (you'll just have to trust this is the res I used):

UFO Test:

Text at 120Hz (you'll have to zoom in to really see the difference):

Text at 60Hz (again, zoom in):

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I just tried to overclock my LG C7 and it didn't work at all. BTW I can't overclock my Computer monitor from LG, too. Is there maybe a limitation by NVidia or LG that is hindering me from overclocking both screens? The highest I could push the computer monitor was 61 Hz, 60 Hz for the C7.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have a C7 yet i haven't tested if 120hz works at other resolutions besides 1080p, but i can see how it would work if you opt to run 4:2:0 as that would free up some bandwidth for resolution. The new 4k 144hz monitors are actually natively 120hz according to the linus video and requires you to OC it through the OSD to get 144hz working, and it will then drop you down from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0. HDR on those monitors i think are limited to 98hz at 4k but im not sure if its still 4:2:0 or 4:4:4.

The 20ms input lag of the C7 makes higher refresh rates somewhat redundant, i fear that next year with 4k 120hz OLEDs if they cant get the delay down to 5-10ms range in pc/game mode I'd be reluctant to try and get one of those. I'd need to just hold out for a proper monitor without any of the TV stuff adding artificial delay.

I'm actually really interested in the 4k 144hz monitors just released, but for $2000 im not going to bite especially when DP 1.4 is limited in bandwidth, so while the monitor has it all, they've cut corners to make it work such as 98hz HDR. Next year HDMI 2.1 will fix that, but i feel as though for PC monitors we'll need to wait for DisplayPort 1.5 which i have no idea when it's slated for or how much bandwidth it supports, let me google that....

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
If Nvidia skipped DSC on DP 1.4... what else to say, 1.4 should do 4k 144Hz+ with DSC. 1.3 can do 144Hz at 4:2:2 colors, 240hz at 4:2:0. A 1.2 can run 120hz 4:2:2. My bet Nvidia is again skimping on the overpriced Gsync module, they are also trying to blame delays on Gsync module needing to be adapted to support HDR... such a big deal... Gsync unhampered monitors support it just fine and there are no crazy delays due to HDR or limited inputs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they make an adaptive sync version and it runs better in terms of inputs support.

Limited chroma on a $2k monitor... no thanks Nvidia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wapeddell:

Could you please try to overclock the 1080p mode to a post 120hz frequency ? 1080p at 144hz for instance.... or maybe start small, 121 hz, 122 hz. See how far you can push it (if any at all). It would be nice to know how far these models can go...

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI, in order to see the current resolution that the C7 is using:

1) Press UP on the remote control (the name of the current input will appear in the upper left)
2) Press ENTER (the Jog Wheel) and more info about the input is shown, including current resolution

Sooo...if you've selected 1440p/120Hz in windows and the above shows 1080p then the tv is downsampling the GPU output. I'm going to try this when I get home tonight. I'm curious if I can get more defined images at 120 Hz because although the high frame rate at 1080p is nice I miss the sharper graphics at 4k and if I can get 1440p at 120Hz it will be nearly as good as 4k with the bonus of twice the frame rate. The only 4K/60Hz TV I know of that also does 1440p at 120 Hz out of the box is the NU8000, although RTings says it won't display 4:4:4 correctly:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

·
Registered
4 Posts
I meant to follow up on this for some time now - that is if anyone still cares about the C7 in 2019! Anyway, those that have said that the image is being downsampled to 1080p are correct. I believe this is happening because of how Windows and the GPU handle mismatched resolutions and refresh rates. If you go to Display settings and then Advanced Display Settings you will see specs for Desktop Resolution and Active Signal Resolution. When I choose 120 Hz, the TV forces itself to present as a native 1080p display because it only does 120Hz at that resolution. So, if I set my GPU to [email protected] then Windows (or the GPU driver, not exactly sure) decides that scaling has to occur because it is aware that the attached display is only a 1080p device. In this mode, in the Windows Advanced Disply Settings page you will see Desktop Resolution of 2560x1440 and Active Signal Resolution of 1920x1080 and Refresh Rate of 120Hz (or 100Hz, it does both). Now, the blurriness obviously is due to the scaling going on, but I actually prefer it in games because it basically has some anti-aliasing effect on the jaggies. Yes text in Windows desktop and apps looks blurrier, but images look better. My rig is a couch gaming setup, so that's fine by me. Having said all that, I'm back to [email protected] because higher game FPS is more important to me than higher resolution and the C7's internal upscaling of 1080p content is very good anyway. Additionally, I have given up on trying to get [email protected] working because it just doesn't do it right. I can set it to Y:Cb:Cr 4:2:2 with 10 or 12 bit color, but I have to slide the tint to R25 to get anything near the correct colors and they are still not where they should be IMO. Without adjusting tint, if I view the contrast page on Lagom.com the blue scale starts to skew towards violet near the bright end of the scale. The greens are drab and the yellows look more like mustard. Red just didn't pop at all. All the colors were kind of dull, actually. So, now I just use 8 bit color depth. On the Lagom Gradient page the banding is barely noticeable from the couch about 9 feet away. I've just warmed it up a bit because it was overall a bit too cool looking to me (tint set to R5). You do have to watch out for oversaturated blues and reds, but my brightness is at 49 and OLED light at 35 to prevent burn-in and this tames them a bit. Because I have the color depth set to 8 bpc, the only option for Dynamic Range is "Limited." This means that there is some black crush, so I usually turn up the in-game brightness setting to compensate. BTW, I have gamed for hundreds of hours on this TV in the past 12 months and I have zero burn-in with those settings dialed back. I do have a dark living room, so the lower brightness works for me anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thankyou so much for this..

btw i i use 120hz 1080p while gaming and go in adjust desktop color settings in nvidia control panel and set it to use nvidia settings and pull the contrast bar all the way to 100 or 90 and hdr at 120hz looks amazing.
doesn't touch any other setting as setting the input label to pc already takes advantage of 4:4:4 chroma.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
Sorry for bumping an old thread. This is the only source discussing this topic I have been able to find basically anywhere on the internet.

I have a B7 that I use for my monitor for both PC and console gaming. I know some of the games on my PS4 Pro render at 1800p and 1440p. I cant for the life of me get the PC to display 1440p. I do not care if its at 120hz, 60hz is perfectly fine. I am using a GTX 980, and wouldnt be able to play at 1440p120 anyways most likely. I am trying to find a happy medium in Skyrim with quite a few graphical mods. I can get about 65fps in 1080p, and only around 30fps in 4k. Windows 10 doesnt have an option for anything between 1080p and 4k. Neither does Nvidia control panel. I have tried a custom resolution in nvidia contyrol panel (2560 x 1440 60hz) and it fails. The only thing I have not tried yet is setting windows to 1080p120, then trying a custom res.

Did anyone have luck with 1440p at 60hz?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts