Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us nuts like to put fans in places their designers never intended. Tonight I am going to show you how to adapt a Gentle Typhoon for use with Noctua pegs and clips.

Why would I do this? After all, you can attach push and pull fans with Megahalems clips, right? Right. But that doesn't cover how to adapt a Gentle Typhoon or a Thermalright TY-140 to fit in the center position of a Noctua NH-D14. This does.

First of all, pick your weapon:

Saws_for_fan_corners_001.JPG

My favorite for fan work is the coping saw - you can undercut a sidewall if you need to.

Here is a screw slot. It even has receptacles for nuts. It's made to allow someone to quickly attach this fan:

Opening_AP-15_corners_002.png

Here is a C-channel. It is oriented the same direction as the screw slot. It allows someone to insert two nuts and screw in two screws before needing to turn the fan:

Opening_AP-15_corners_010.png

OK now, let's make a cut:

Opening_AP-15_corners_006.png

Now another:

Opening_AP-15_corners_012.png

OK. Ready for the attack with pliers?

Opening_AP-15_corners_013.png

And we get this:

Opening_AP-15_corners_008.png

Opening_AP-15_corners_014.png

Now we can see the open corners. OK, pop a peg in a screw hole. Hmm. Not much sticking through. That won't do:

Opening_AP-15_corners_015.png

So, a drill. A drill you hold in your hand so you don't push a hole through the soft plastic. I used a 9/32-inch drill. An 8mm drill would also do:

Opening_AP-15_corners_016.png

Here is a partially drilled hole, with plastic shards adhering to the drill:

Opening_AP-15_corners_018.png

When you're done, the peg pops in:

Opening_AP-15_corners_019.png

And this is what you get:

Opening_AP-15_corners_020.png

Two clips:

Opening_AP-15_corners_022.png

These days it takes about ten minutes to cut the corners, and about fifteen to drill the holes - carefully.

Have fun.

Edit:

Scythe_AP-30_with_Noctua_clips.png

Scythe/Nidec Gentle Typhoon with Noctua fan clips.

Edit:

ohhgourami put this in post #23.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would like to add that for those without a drill (like myself) who still want to adapt the fans, you can' just get a small flathead screw driver and use it almost like a drill bit to enlarge the hole. The plastic used in fans seem to be very very soft.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo;12735641
I would like to add that for those without a drill (like myself) who still want to adapt the fans, you can' just get a small flathead screw driver and use it almost like a drill bit to enlarge the hole. The plastic used in fans seem to be very very soft.
Interesting. Thanks for letting us know this works.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're interested in the way I used to adapt fans for the D14, check this out:

kaze_maru_2_1700_with_noctua_clips_2010-07-01_008.png

Notice the lack of relief holes. Also see how much work I had too put in filing down flanges. And look here:

kaze_maru_2_1700_with_noctua_clips_2010-07-01_010.png

You can see the lack of clearance. And see the file marks on the remaining flange around the screw hole? Thinned to approximate a P14's flange.

A better flange shot here:

TR_TY-140_cut_away.png

You can see how I thinned the flange.

You must admit that drilling relief holes is much easier and much cleaner.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEBS808;14095378
Ordered me some gt's and didn't know you had to do this.Thanks for the quick guide.
You only have to do this if you're going to use the Noctua clips. And you only have to do that when you use a GT in the middle. For the front push or the back pull fan, buy a pair or two of these. Free shipping takes the sweat out, and they work great for mounting 25mm fans on the D14.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEBS808;14095841
Hahahah Thanks.Still very informative.What would be a good 140 in the middel with mt GT's?
The P14 that comes with the heatsink is a fine fan. Use that before you get another.

Quieter than the P14: the TY-140. It will need the drill mod to work properly, though.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;14097058
The P14 that comes with the heatsink is a fine fan. Use that before you get another.

Quieter than the P14: the TY-140. It will need the drill mod to work properly, though.
Thanks the quieter the better.My wife is already pissed when I use my Astro when gaming on my PS3 or Xbox lol.So I think a quiet PC would benefit us both.Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well, I just finished installing the 2nd AP15 in my D14.

So now I have AP15->TY140->AP15

After doing 3 fans I would like to offer a tip on the drilling portion of this mod:
Hold the drill bit in your hand and forget about the drill. Twist with light pressure. Your hands will have a hard time exerting enough torque to power through the pastic.

The first fan I drilled with the cordless, the bit grabbed the plastic and I almost ruined my AP15 (well that corner anyway).

The 2nd one (my TY140) I tried going very lightly with the drill, which was better.

Tonight, on fan #3, I just held the bit in my hand and twisted applying light pressure. Wound up with a bunch of tiny shavings, but PERFECT holes.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillah;15121388
Well, I just finished installing the 2nd AP15 in my D14.

So now I have AP15->TY140->AP15

After doing 3 fans I would like to offer a tip on the drilling portion of this mod:
Hold the drill bit in your hand and forget about the drill. Twist with light pressure. Your hands will have a hard time exerting enough torque to power through the pastic.

The first fan I drilled with the cordless, the bit grabbed the plastic and I almost ruined my AP15 (well that corner anyway).

The 2nd one (my TY140) I tried going very lightly with the drill, which was better.

Tonight, on fan #3, I just held the bit in my hand and twisted applying light pressure. Wound up with a bunch of tiny shavings, but PERFECT holes.
exACTly. That is precisely the way to work. +rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666;15121442
Nice guide and pics.

Those APs can be a pain when you want them to go anywhere except a case fan.

Nicely done
thumb.gif
Thanks..

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I PM'ed ehume about this and it is to do with the recent change to OCN and that's why you can't see the pics, we have to wait for them to come back up.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They tell me the pics will be back. I have too many in too many tutorials to re-post them all. So we wait for the New OCN to come through . . .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts