Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm a PPD addict... and I've been looking at ways to increase my production. A new CPU to come for the HTPC is in the pipeline, and I'm also considering how to get another GPU folding as well...

I read some posts of people 'creatively modifying' a PCI-e x1 slot so a regular graphics card could go in. Well I'm not one to shy away from possible destruction, but what would be the most appropriate GPU to procure?

It'll be going into my sig rig Black Knight.
As the x1 slot is directly above my x16 slot, SINGLE SLOT CARDS ONLY.
Is my PSU still sufficient to run the 2nd GPU?
How would the addition of a second, low-performer GPU affect the CPU-smp folding? Like would the hit to smp folding negate the bonus of the 2nd GPU?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,223 Posts
Well. if this works, then get a gt 240.

You could use it as your primary card and save some power and noise.

It would add another 4-5k ppd for only 50$ AR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
Your psu will be enough to handle any single slots gpu's since it's even enough for 470's in SLI, so you won't have to worry about that. Good luck with the modding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, yes that GT240 looks the goods... anyone know how much reduced PPD the CPU on smp gets when it has to feed two cards?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,114 Posts
2x GPU2 WUs shouldn't drop it all that much. Will be a net gain with the extra GPU at any rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Z; now to go back and do some research on what's needed to get it up and running

Geez I'm hell looking forward to my planned upgrades in November


I reckon with all of them done I'll be up in the top 20 producers for OCN
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,679 Posts
An 8800GT is about 4.5-5.5k PPD, a GT240, ~4-4.5k


For ~$50 shipped used, an 8800GT is probably the best PPD/$ option
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by to_the_zenith View Post
Thanks Z; now to go back and do some research on what's needed to get it up and running

Geez I'm hell looking forward to my planned upgrades in November


I reckon with all of them done I'll be up in the top 20 producers for OCN
Good luck with that idea.With all the new folders its a tough thing to do.Anyway you need to make room for a dual slot card and pick up my 8800gtx.I do have a discount for folders.

Edit:8800gtx is a 5.5 to 6k ppd folder ymmv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would love to, but the only way I'd be able to make room for a second dual slot card would be to replace the whole mobo - believe me I've considered it, but the hassles of re-installing everything, ugh...
if I was going to go to that extent of a new mobo, I wouldn't do things by halves, I just spend the coin to get a second GTX470 for SLI. With the other plans I have for upgrades though, that option would blow the budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by to_the_zenith View Post
Would love to, but the only way I'd be able to make room for a second dual slot card would be to replace the whole mobo - believe me I've considered it, but the hassles of re-installing everything, ugh...
if I was going to go to that extent of a new mobo, I wouldn't do things by halves, I just spend the coin to get a second GTX470 for SLI. With the other plans I have for upgrades though, that option would blow the budget.
I switched out mobos and never had to re-install the OS..
Besides you gotta get top 20!!! do what ever it takes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
northbridge chipset? if i want to SLI i'd need to get a different chipset as intel doesn't like nvidia and doesn't support SLI in P45 chipset. Therefore would need to switch to a mobo like the 790i or something like that which will can hadle the items that I have; I think that'd be too much for the OS to want to play game... correct me if I'm wrong though.

When I was considering this a while back, god damn it's hard to find a decent LGA775 board that takes DDR3 does RAID and SLI.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwwanna View Post
I switched out mobos and never had to re-install the OS..
Besides you gotta get top 20!!! do what ever it takes

I swapped mobo and cpu with out a reinstall.Don't think I'm telling him he can't get a top 20 spot.I'm just trying to get him fired up to do it.

Edit:EVGA 790i FTW is the mother board you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So currently my setup is capable of churning out ~32K PPD.
My planned November upgrades will have the sig rig on water and the HTPC with a far better CPU and a little cooling mod for GPU area. Including the addition of this second GPU for Black Knight, I think a reasonable estimate would be ~46K PPD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Budgetting wise, if I 'were' to go the upgrade mobo route... I'd have to ditch the water cooling idea (I just REALLY want to just to say I can, and would make folding in summer better - don't forget I'm in Australia, so were are going into summer soon).

Ditch the GT240 idea cause this would open up the option of getting a second GTX470... hmmm... add in the HTPC upgrade, that'd put me in the vasinity of ~55K PPD.

tempting, very tempting.

Got any other recommended mobo's?
eVGA isn't really pronounced over here in Australia. quick search shows the 790i FTW is $507 not including P&H and only available from one supplier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm... just had another thought on this while I was researching still on the 2nd GPU into the PCI-e 1x slot.
I can get a dual slot GPU into this thing after all, I found a PCI-e 1x slot flexible extender on eBay cheap as chips; which means I'm not limited by single slot cards.

So now I'm thinking I of reverting back to the original plan, but for like $5 more I can get a GTS250. Just gotta figure out what mods I'm gonna need to do to make the card stable in the case. And with that riser at least I won't need to worry about hacking up my mobo.

Plus bonus of this is that I can get this card with next weeks pay day; and who knows maybe come November I might still consider the new mobo and 2nd GTX470 over the watercooling, and then run all three cards (bigger PSU?)
Jeez, that'd put me in the 60K+ PPD category
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ooooo... I see my favourite store just got stock today of the GTS450
albiet $50 more than originally planned for this mini mod.
But that'll be a shade more than 1.5x the PPD i was originally thinking of before


From the looks of things though the GTS450 doesn't seem to pack as much PPD/$ compared to teh GTX460, and I sure as hell aint going $100 over budget for a 2nd 460. So one must wonder, is it worth the extra to get a 450 or settle for the lesser bretheren of the 250?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,666 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by to_the_zenith View Post
northbridge chipset? if i want to SLI i'd need to get a different chipset as intel doesn't like nvidia and doesn't support SLI in P45 chipset. Therefore would need to switch to a mobo like the 790i or something like that which will can hadle the items that I have; I think that'd be too much for the OS to want to play game... correct me if I'm wrong though.

When I was considering this a while back, god damn it's hard to find a decent LGA775 board that takes DDR3 does RAID and SLI.
ASUS P5QE3 PRO. It is an 775 ddr3 mobo. and the asus striker|| extreem is even better.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top