Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that I can't give anyone a +rep on threads that I created? Just on other peoples threads? I am pretty sure I used to be able to do this. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
you cant do this in off topic, only in the main forum.

off topic is for.... off topic things

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Are you trying to rep people in an "Off Topic" thread you created?

Otherwise, what is preventing you? Is there no rep button anywhere, even in the main forum? Is there an error that pops up when you try to? If so, what does it say?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
When was +rep removed in OT, or has it always been that way? I was under the impression that OT started with +rep, and was then removed because so many people got +rep for trolling.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
You got it right. One of several rep reforms over the years. At least the powers decided not to erase those reps retroactively. I'd only have about 60

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus View Post
When was +rep removed in OT, or has it always been that way? I was under the impression that OT started with +rep, and was then removed because so many people got +rep for trolling.
It was removed because apparently helping someone fix their air conditioner is less valuable to the community than helping someone show off a 3DMark score.

Why that is the case I'll never know. But that was the general consensus.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Well, this is a computer site. Rep should be for computer help only. I get the feeling a lot of people wouldn't have the rep that they do if they joined after it was removed from OT, like me.

Even then, some people just don't use it in the other forums.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

It was removed because apparently helping someone fix their air conditioner is less valuable to the community than helping someone show off a 3DMark score.

Why that is the case I'll never know. But that was the general consensus.

Figured. That's why I see so many 06/07ers with a ton of rep. During this time, did posts in OT also not count towards post count?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
You got it right. One of several rep reforms over the years. At least the powers decided not to erase those reps retroactively. I'd only have about 60
lulz surely you jest.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

Well, this is a computer site. Rep should be for computer help only. I get the feeling a lot of people wouldn't have the rep that they do if they joined after it was removed from OT, like me.

Helping someone with an air conditioner that doesn't work is just as repworthy as helping someone waste time showing off pointless benchmark scores. Hell one can lead to the other, since a working aircon will drop ambients, which drops temps across the board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

Figured. That's why I see so many 06/07ers with a ton of rep. During this time, did posts in OT also not count towards post count?

AFAIK they never counted here. If they did I'd have twice as many posts as I do.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
Helping someone with an air conditioner that doesn't work is just as repworthy as helping someone waste time showing off pointless benchmark scores. Hell one can lead to the other, since a working aircon will drop ambients, which drops temps across the board.

AFAIK they never counted here. If they did I'd have twice as many posts as I do.
Makes me wish I could have joined earlier and gotten rep for free

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys and gals, this answered my question.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
If you do want to rep someone and not OT fake rep, you can find a helpful thread in another forum.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

Actually they did until a few months after I joined. I noticed a substantial drop in my post count following the change (only a hundred or so, since I hadn't been around long, so it's relative).

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Old members have mass rep because in the olden days, prominent members could award multiple points at once, or so I've been told.

To be fair, Ducky has mondo rep because he's awesome and knows just about everything.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
They got rid of it in OT to get rid of most of the "lol" rep. It still happens outside of OT, but I'd imagine 95% of OT rep was "lol" rep.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
Old members have mass rep because in the olden days, prominent members could award multiple points at once, or so I've been told.

To be fair, Ducky has mondo rep because he's awesome and knows just about everything.
It has always been a single point system. Also the amount of reps per flame have been increased.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts