Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey community,
I recently purchased a second Crucial M4 128Gb SSD. I currently have Windows 7 installed on my first M4, along with several games. My data and my user documents (My Docs, My Pics, My Vids, etc.) are all stored on my 1Tb Seagate.

The question is: should I go ahead and put the 2 SSDs in RAID 0 for the performance boost? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows and all my games, so the only option I will consider is imagining my C: drive, installing the second card, going into RAID and then cloning the image to the RAID array.

I've heard this can be tricky. I've found a workaround here:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?72309-How-to-switch-to-RAID-0-without-reinstalling!

What do you all think? The plan for the second drive (if I don't RAID) would be to only install games and apps on it. I bought it because I'm running out of space on C:. Anyway, is it worth it? Is it risky? What do you guys recommend?

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Yes, other than the risk associated with raid 0... Speed(1GB/s)+ space is worth the risk. Imaging C: is the most effective, just be sure to keep image on 1T for backup. Enable RAID/AHCI in BIOS beforehand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You would have done better to get a 60GB SSD and use it as a cache on the 1TB drive...you could use this one for that, but then you waste half it's capacity

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexlogic;15242315
You would have done better to get a 60GB SSD and use it as a cache on the 1TB drive...you could use this one for that, but then you waste half it's capacity
Seriously?!? I really don't think that's true at all. First of all, my OS is running on my primary SSD already and my HDD is merely a data drive. Secondly, my understanding is that SSDs perform significantly better than HDDs with SSD caches. Finally, as stayed in my original post, the new SSD is for overflow programs.

TRIM cannot be applied to members of a RAID array. That's one reason not to RAID my SSDs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcookienc;15246735
Secondly, my understanding is that SSDs perform significantly better than HDDs with SSD caches. Finally, as stayed in my original post, the new SSD is for overflow programs.
I don't believe I said that a cached hard disk would be as fast as an SSD. I just opined that you'd be better off with a cache SSD than another small SSD as a second drive. SRT performance is pretty good for loading of games and applications, which is exactly what you said you want to do. And you've got a whole lot more space on the HDD. Dollar for dollar, I think that a SSD cache would give you better overall price/performance than a second "pure" SSD
Quote:
TRIM cannot be applied to members of a RAID array. That's one reason not to RAID my SSDs.
I didn't suggest RAIDing your SSDs. You did in your OP. I think it's a bad idea because of the inability to pass-through TRIM commands to SSD members of a RAID array. TRIM, however, is a command used by the operating system to inform the SSD which blocks are no longer in use so that they can be erased. In the case of a cache, the SSD is not under control of the operating system, but is instead directly under control of the Intel RST drivers. TRIM is less relevant to cache SSDs. The cache SSD is not a member of a RAID array.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There are two types of drive that I want. Storage/data/backup drives which don't need to be that fast, then OS/programs/games drives which load stuff up super fast.

Hard drives with a SSD cache seem entirely pointless to me as they do neither of the things I want them to particularly well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by infected rat
View Post

There are two types of drive that I want. Storage/data/backup drives which don't need to be that fast, then OS/programs/games drives which load stuff up super fast.

Hard drives with a SSD cache seem entirely pointless to me as they do neither of the things I want them to particularly well.

That's exactly my point. My HDD is purely a data drive, and therefore does not need an SSD cache. My SSDs on the other hand run programs and store my OS, so they need to be fast. I think what I've learned is that there's very little real world benefit to RAID 0 with SSDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts