Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing a second 470 in my rig ,and was wondering ,being that I am using P55 ,will it be worth it ? I can't imagine what kind of muscle 2 OC'd 470's would pump out!!I do have the FTW200 ,which has the NF200 ,to supposedly add more PCIe bandwidth . I have heard that ,no matter what , I will still get 8x+ 8x PCIe performance,and inferior scaling? Also ,Should I get the exact same Gigabyte card ,or one of the Non -reference cards. For instance ,if I get a superclocked GTX470 ,will my performance be lopsided? I see some really great prices for the 470's now .I got mine ,like the first week they came out .I remember people were gouging on ebay for like $450 and up . Prices seem to be around $300 now!!

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
470's can be had for under 300, I prefer to get the same brand so that they match
but just overclock the other card to the others performance (or both to a higher one). The x8 x8 won't affect scaling much, most studies have shown few cards utilize a full x16 lane.

• Rep+
Reactions: ttully77

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ah, I also want to add another 470. I am not quiet sure that I can answer your question but I was also wondering about PCIe x8 vs x16 on my motherboard. Will my card run much slower? <- I have one 470 currently running PCIe x16 and my next will be on x8.

Also to the OP, I plan on buying an exact match EVGA 470 with back plate but that's just me. : )

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttully77 View Post
Ah, I also want to add another 470. I am not quiet sure that I can answer your question but I was also wondering about PCIe x8 vs x16 on my motherboard. Will my card run much slower? <- I have one 470 currently running PCIe x16 and my next will be on x8.

Also to the OP, I plan on buying an exact match EVGA 470 with back plate but that's just me. : )

No you'll be fine with 8x

Id get the same card, but just for looks really. If you get a higher clocked card, the slower card will ALWAYS override it. You can OC them though to whatever is stable, so it doesnt really matter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Adding a second card to make an SLI\\Crossfire rig DOES NOT mean you will double the performance, but you will get a large boost. A better choice since you have Nvidia would be to get the newest, fastest PCI-e Nvidia card and use your current card as a PhysX processor. That might sound like a waste, but think about it. A new card can give your old one the shaft in terms of performance, having a nice fast new card, and your old one doing all the PhysX, will free the new one to do other things faster. Like say, your old one is sent all the particle work while your new one does HD explosion scars = no lag on explosions in HD, no matter how high you push the system settings. But that's just one example. PhysX also does things like DarkPhysics, and real-world physics processing.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolflow View Post
Adding a second card to make an SLI\\Crossfire rig DOES NOT mean you will double the performance, but you will get a large boost. A better choice since you have Nvidia would be to get the newest, fastest PCI-e Nvidia card and use your current card as a PhysX processor. That might sound like a waste, but think about it. A new card can give your old one the shaft in terms of performance, having a nice fast new card, and your old one doing all the PhysX, will free the new one to do other things faster. Like say, your old one is sent all the particle work while your new one does HD explosion scars = no lag on explosions in HD, no matter how high you push the system settings. But that's just one example. PhysX also does things like DarkPhysics, and real-world physics processing.
In many cases you DO get double the performance as 4XX cards in SLI tend to scale very well, in some cases you get better than 100%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts