Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm now planning to add another XFX HD6850 dual fan to my system and then fit blocks for both of them at the same time.

As some may have seen, i have the EK H3O 360 HFX kit now installed, and I'm wondering how to hook up the GPU's to the loop, so that the order is correct and the performance stays at it's best.

is the DCP 4.0 enough to flow the system in the first place?

Should I just get a nice double 5.25" res/pump combo and a nice new rad and fit it to the GPU's and possibly add a NB block too?

This came to my mind because i'm looking at the H.S. factor here too
biggrin.gif

·
Watercooler
3,377 Posts
You can always try first, since you already have the parts and if you need to order another pump/rad etc, it should be ok though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That EK pump is pretty good, and TBH I think you could probably just about get by with just having that pump and CPU + 2x GPU blocks. As for the radiator, I don't know, 1 360 may give you fairly high temps... If putting say a 240 in is an easy option, I would definitley go for that. And as for loop order, it doesn't matter. Just use as little tubing and make it as neat as possible. Usually something like Pump/Res -> CPU -> GPUs -> Rad -> Pump/res. But like I say it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHaoSphEre View Post

That EK pump is pretty good, and TBH I think you could probably just about get by with just having that pump and CPU + 2x GPU blocks. As for the radiator, I don't know, 1 360 may give you fairly high temps... If putting say a 240 in is an easy option, I would definitley go for that. And as for loop order, it doesn't matter. Just use as little tubing and make it as neat as possible. Usually something like Pump/Res -> CPU -> GPUs -> Rad -> Pump/res. But like I say it doesn't matter.
Yep i was thinking about that order too. Where should i hook the 2nd radiator? Right after the first one, like not throwing the return from the first back to the rs, but the 2nd radiator and then back to the res?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can pretty much put the new radiator anywhere in the loop - just pick the most convenient configuration and go with that. Order of items in a water loop makes almost no difference to temperatures, the only important thing is to make sure the reservoir is before the pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnor00 View Post

You can pretty much put the new radiator anywhere in the loop - just pick the most convenient configuration and go with that. Order of items in a water loop makes almost no difference to temperatures, the only important thing is to make sure the reservoir is before the pump.
Ah ok. The only thing in my mind was the flow rate drop right after the rad, for example if a gpu block is right after it, but I'm sure i have too much math on it now.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Worx View Post

Ah ok. The only thing in my mind was the flow rate drop right after the rad, for example if a gpu block is right after it, but I'm sure i have too much math on it now.
You are over thinking it. The flow rate calculation would include all of the restriction in your loop to get a total flow rate unless you are running parallel loops. Once the system is up and running the flow rate would be constant if I understand the calculations correctly. There are some engineers on here that deal with pump systems, but that's not my area of expertise.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post

You are over thinking it. The flow rate calculation would include all of the restriction in your loop to get a total flow rate unless you are running parallel loops. Once the system is up and running the flow rate would be constant if I understand the calculations correctly. There are some engineers on here that deal with pump systems, but that's not my area of expertise.
biggrin.gif
And i don't have the interest to start calculating too much really.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
If you think about it like this, it may help: you have a single fan inside an oval loop of drier duct, completely sealed. When you turn on the fan, it is pushing the same air it is pulling. Now if you start adding boxes in the drier duct loop, the air within the loop will not flow as quickly, but it is still the same air. Eventually, too much obstruction will cause the fan to work extremely hard to move less and less of the air in a givenpperiod of time.

Now replace "fan" with pump and "boxes" with blocks/rads. The more restriction, the more pumping power needed, and eventually the flow will suffer and you will get Worse temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.