1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at watercooling at danger den and I came across additives

I want to know some things about them

1. What is a good aditive that wont change your water color

2. Do they really inhance heat transfur?

3. Does watter wetter really turn your water red?

thanks alot

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes, they do increase your heat transfer, just like coolant in a car. And waterwetter works pretty good IMO but it turns your water pink. Lol, so I loaded mine up with UV dye. but now it's kinda purple.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I really don't think they help heat transfer much with our low, low water temps. I have used Zerex Super Coolant, and that doesn't stain your tubing near as much as WW. The coolant is still purple/pinkish though. There is that yellow coolant by dtek. But I have never tried it:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=40

I don't think a coolant is that necessary though, if your system is all copper/brass/plastic (no aluminum, or other metal).

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

yea i think i am using distilled water

DO NOT USE TAP WATER WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! It has too many impurities, which will clog up blocks, stain tubing, and allow algea to grow faster. Coolant does help heat transfer, but it's probably not enough to worry about. The main reason is to prevent algae growth. I use WaterWetter personally. If you only add a small amount, you will hardly notice any color at all.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
After a 12-18 months, there will be stuff growing in your water (cloudy water, tubing stains), even with distilled (with tap water it might take a month or two). So you can either change your water every year or two, or you can put some antifreeze or spa sanitizer in it (or some glycol I guess). But most performance additives don't stop biological growths much, if any.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki

how about adding some medical use alcohol? that should kill the algae?

adding alchohol should help lower temps and kill some bacteria but im not sure about corrosion....

maybe add a little bit of antefreeze as well for its antcorossive props

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Alcohol will not cause corrosion. As a matter of fact, denatured alcohol is the recommended coolant when using a water chiller. Death o nator-most additives do indeed protect against algae growth
Also, alcohol has worse thermal properties than water, so it will not help temps. It won't hurt them either since the difference is minute. However, you would have to add a lot of alcohol to prevent algae growth as the water will dilute it, obviously. I would just stick with either Water Wetter or Hydrex(sp?) and don't worry about it

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Is there anything you can use to do away with water totally? Like just filling it with 100% coolant?

There probably is, but not for the cost and ease of use with water. Water has one of the best thermal properties of any liquid that is readily available and cost very little.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

There probably is, but not for the cost and ease of use with water. Water has one of the best thermal properties of any liquid that is readily available and cost very little.

What i've always wondered, is if there would be any downside to cooling your machine directly from the tap?

You could have cold water going in directly from your tap (and it would probably be very cold too), and then just put it down the drain once its gone thru your system.

This would also remove the need for a pump/coolant/anti-algae and other bits...

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you'd still need A pump ... and another think they make Fluid XP which is a substitute for water .... it gives you heat transfur and will not short out chips if a hole is made in the tubig.. o yea its called non-conductive. but anyway

Will regular car anti-freeze work ????

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Pure anti-freeze is a nono. It's thermal characteristics are poor, its made to keep water from freezing, not aid in heat transfer. Plus, it would clog up blocks over time.

@XMS Water bill????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts