Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only assume this has come about because of the IE9 beta release, so here you go...

Quote:
64-bit support - Native support for 64-bit operating systems and 64-bit web browsers on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.

Internet Explorer 9 hardware accelerated rendering support - Enhanced support for Internet Explorer 9 Beta. It takes advantage of hardware accelerated graphics in Internet Explorer 9 Beta, utilizing hardware rendering surfaces to improve graphics performance and enable seamless composition.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Guys look outside your windows, you'll see pigs flying! Bye bye 32-Bit Firefox

If anyone wants 64-Bit Firefox:

http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefoxownload

Sometimes it takes a while for it to be updated to the latest build...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor_Mizer View Post
What do you gain from using the 64bit browser?
my guess would be more speed, better CPU utilization,

maybe protect better against virus downloaded with that NxStop Execution or whatever the 64bit CPUs use to block viruses

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor_Mizer View Post
What do you gain from using the 64bit browser?
In short, nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
In short, nothing.
Not really...when I use 64-Bit FF, web pages don't crash and scrolling is smooth. Quite literally in 32-Bit FF, my pages stutter when scrolling.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets not forget about the hardware accelerated flash games

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Quote:

In short, nothing.
then why are you running 64-bit windows?

you get about the same gains for a 64-bit browser as you do for any other program. capacity to address more memory, better use of cpu cycles, a few other minor gains but it all helps.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
Still no sign of mobile support.
I thought Froyo brought flash support?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHoob2004 View Post
then why are you running 64-bit windows?

you get about the same gains for a 64-bit browser as you do for any other program. capacity to address more memory, better use of cpu cycles, a few other minor gains but it all helps.
Because I would not be able to use all my RAM if I didn't have a 64-bit OS. In reality, this would be the only reason for 99% of people on here to have a 64-bit OS.

Almost every program used is currently 32-bit and just emulated in 32-bit mode when used on a 64-bit OS. Most games take a slight performance hit on a 64-bit OS, and the few others that offer a 64-bit executable offer absolutely no to virtually no benefit.

If people are having problems with scrolling stuttering on a 32-bit browser, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's 32-bit. It has to do with that most all the other background plugins you have also do not function on the 64-bit browser, so the load is lighter.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I can't get this installed on IE9 Beta. It says completed but I can't see any flash and it's not showing under add ons.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dham View Post
I can't get this installed on IE9 Beta. It says completed but I can't see any flash and it's not showing under add ons.
Tried rebooting? and installing as administrator?

·
Iconoclast
30,441 Posts
My 32-bit browsers frequently run into issues with the memory limitations for 32-bit programs. Yeah, I use that many tabs.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I have been waiting so long to use the 64-bit browser in Windows besides the very very simple things.. This is fantastic. IT'S ABOUT TIME Adobe!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pheatton View Post
Yes, for Android but not for say WINMO or iOS. The latter more than likely wont be getting it at all.
Win Mobile is EOL and no one cares about iOS. Windows Phone may get it in the future. If they can convince adobe to have 64 bit flash support the day there new 64 bit browser released beta, I think they'll have no problem getting mobile support. I mean we didn't think we would see 64 bit flash ever. At least I didn't. At least for another couple years. By that time it would be getting phased out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

...Almost every program used is currently 32-bit and just emulated in 32-bit mode when used on a 64-bit OS. Most games take a slight performance hit on a 64-bit OS, and the few others that offer a 64-bit executable offer absolutely no to virtually no benefit.
Felt the need to interject here: Strictly speaking, the only time there is Emulation in Windows is on an Itanium 64 system. The CPU makes no differentiation between x86 and x64: X64 is a superset of the older x86 standard, there is no translation necessary, and therefore whatever binaries may be presented are executed natively on the processor. Therefore performance should also be native.

What Microsoft did is include a complete set of x86 libraries as part of their WoW64 subsystem. These are all the same as the ones found in normal x86 Windows, except for some few .dll's which must directly share 64 bit resources. These few use a custom calling sequence so Windows can play the appropriate Traffic Cop role. So it's literally "Windows On Windows".

Please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx

Regarding 64 bit Flash: Took 'em long enough

1 - 20 of 48 Posts